Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Circuit Breaker Tripping

A

aileron346

VIP Member
My circuit breaker has started to trip. This seems to be unrelated to heavy use - the most we generally plug in to the 240v system is a phone charger (not always the same one). No kettle or heater use etc.

On our last trip, a reset seemed to last around 24-36h before it went again.

Would anyone have any idea what this might be?

Separately, I’ve noticed that the 7.5 year old leisure batteries are not holding the charge they once did. I’m guessing they need replacement.

Thanks for any thoughts.

My circuit breaker has started to trip. This seems to be unrelated to heavy use - the most we generally plug in to the 240v system is a phone charger (not always the same one). No kettle or heater use etc.

On our last trip, a reset seemed to last around 24-36h before it went again.

Would anyone have any idea what this might be?

Separately, I’ve noticed that the 7.5 year old leisure batteries are not holding the charge they once did. I’m guessing they need replacement.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Firstly, when you plug in the mains you switch on the Charger. You mention the Leisure Batteries. Are they charging correctly when the Mains is On?

Firstly, when you plug in the mains you switch on the Charger. You mention the Leisure Batteries. Are they charging correctly when the Mains is On?
Yes, when you plug in they charge correctly, until the switch trips randomly after 8-24 h ish usually.

Now that “circuit breaker “ as you call it is actually two devices in one.

It protects against over load (big stuff being plugged in) and residual earth leakage. Two completely different things.

Given you’ve stated you rarely plug anything in of significant load then I’d suggest you start with the connection to the battery charger. Anything down wind of the RCBO that had a loose connection will cause the trip. This may mean accessing the unit itself behind the trim to check connections are tight.

So, managed to have a peek behind the trim containing the trip switch. This is held in place by slitting behind the lowest shelf and a sticky tab at the top, so fairly loosely when the sticky tab ages.
All the wiring is tight, so I couldn’t pull it back completely but to be honest the wiring all look sound. Just left it on charge for a few days and no tripping. Think I’ll monitor a bit more for the moment and then maybe an auto-electrics check if it persists.

cleaned inside rear of cali yesterday, move bench forward for this. I decided to check the leisure batty in cubby hole, and found that the electrical connection "+" to the cube fuse had been touching the actual battery terminal, bypassing the cube fuse.
So to raise connector up i used a washer as you can see in photo, these are the original connectors, access panel only removed by me years ago. I could not do any other repair as hadn't got a crimping tool or new connecter. As you can see the connector was bent in the down position
Has anybody else noticed this?
Photo taken after mod and when battery back in cubby hole.
PS new cube fuse fitted 50a as per original
IMG_0866.jpg

The connector looks normal but there was a recall on t5 calis because terminal was connected to the battery the wrong way around the bent down bit should be at 90 degrees to the battery terminal

The bent piece was touching terminal until i inserted the washer

Yes that was the problem with the T5 the connector was touching the battery terminal, the fuse and the terminal had to be turned 90 degrees to prevent it from bypassing the fuse. Looks like your washer will do the same. :thumb

Yes that was the problem with the T5 the connector was touching the battery terminal, the fuse and the terminal had to be turned 90 degrees to prevent it from bypassing the fuse. Looks like your washer will do the same. :thumb

Thanks Vw guru . I’d better check mine tomorrow . Any idea when it was sorted ? My t5 is April 2015 .

Thank you, I also replaced the fuse, although if connector was touching battery terminal the fuse would have been bypassed. Again thanks for info.

cleaned inside rear of cali yesterday, move bench forward for this. I decided to check the leisure batty in cubby hole, and found that the electrical connection "+" to the cube fuse had been touching the actual battery terminal, bypassing the cube fuse.
So to raise connector up i used a washer as you can see in photo, these are the original connectors, access panel only removed by me years ago. I could not do any other repair as hadn't got a crimping tool or new connecter. As you can see the connector was bent in the down position
Has anybody else noticed this?
Photo taken after mod and when battery back in cubby hole.
PS new cube fuse fitted 50a as per original
View attachment 40851
Your 50amp Fuse look# very thin compared to the one fitted on my vehicle. I can see why their would be a problem.
6EF2EF5C-A83A-49E4-A2F1-7716303C304E.jpeg

Fuse is the same as your photo, I took my photo after reinstalling battery so can't see all of fuse.
Did you have a good holiday in oz?
Excellent, just got back. This time yesterday was partaking of a G&T on Circular Quay in Sydney.
Arrived back at Heathrow T5 at 5am today. California covered in thick frost, -2c, But Parking Heater fired up via the remote while the Shuttle was on the Ring Road and engine fired up on first turn of the key after 4 weeks and 3 days lying idle. Now at home with another G&T and a roaring fire. Already planning next trip.:thumb

Back