Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

City Assist

Gavrobb

Gavrobb

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We have this our new T6 but I dont see when it kicks in? I had assumed it would apply brakes in stop start traffic but no sign of this. What am I missing?

We have this our new T6 but I dont see when it kicks in? I had assumed it would apply brakes in stop start traffic but no sign of this. What am I missing?
No idea. What does the Handbook say?

Gavrobb, mine swiches on each time I start the engine but can be switched off by a button on tne far left of the dash (which is lit when switched off).
They are linked to temp so if you're driving in low external weather it might not kick in (at least that's what happened on my ex's BMW).

AlisonF - I think thats the stop / start function you are referring to. City assist is the emergency braking off the front sensor...

Handbook is vague on it all...

might have to use the brake pedal - its the middle one i think ...... hardly use mine

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/proximity-sensing/front-assist

Front Assist monitors the traffic situation in front of your car, warning you when you get too close and even applying the brakes to help avoid collision.

Judging the speed and distance of other road users isn’t always easy, so Front Assist does it for you. It uses radar sensors to measure the distance and relative speed of other vehicles ahead and provides you with an early warning system. If it detects a potential rear-end collision, Front Assist alerts you visually and audibly, while also preparing the brakes for emergency braking.

The city emergency brake function is active in urban traffic at speeds up to 19 miles per hour. If you don’t brake enough Front Assist boosts the braking pressure to prevent a collision. And if you don’t brake at all Front Assist automatically steps in and does it for you. It’s a bit like having an attentive front passenger beside you with their own brake pedal.

That way Front Assist helps you prevent an accident, or at least minimise the consequences.

Yes - thanks Micheal, I had seen VW's page on the topic but, to date, I've not seen any evidence on the van of this kicking in? ie - in city traffic it appears quite happy to run into the back of the car in front (or at least my bottle goes before anything happens) Not yet seen the brake applied or any audible warning despite it being activated in the settings... Wondered if anybody else had had experience of this?

Yes - thanks Micheal, I had seen VW's page on the topic but, to date, I've not seen any evidence on the van of this kicking in? ie - in city traffic it appears quite happy to run into the back of the car in front (or at least my bottle goes before anything happens) Not yet seen the brake applied or any audible warning despite it being activated in the settings... Wondered if anybody else had had experience of this?
:) yep would take some bottle to test it be interested in how good it is as its on my spec list for when/if I have a senior moment.

from the write up though it would appear that it should be obvious in day to day use??
I suppose it depends how good or bad a driver you are.:thumb

Do you have the front assist with adaptive cruise control or just the front assist?

If you just have the front assist, you will get a warning on the dash if you get too close to the car in front and if the car thinks an incident is imminent, it will apply the brakes.

If you have the adaptive cruise control as well you can switch it on in start - stop traffic and it'll do the braking and accelerating for you up to the maximum speed that you set. It's very handy when trickling along at 1 mph through city centres and on congested motorways.

Do you have the front assist with adaptive cruise control or just the front assist?

If you just have the front assist, you will get a warning on the dash if you get too close to the car in front and if the car thinks an incident is imminent, it will apply the brakes.

If you have the adaptive cruise control as well you can switch it on in start - stop traffic and it'll do the braking and accelerating for you up to the maximum speed that you set. It's very handy when trickling along at 1 mph through city centres and on congested motorways.
That's what "Google" said just before that bus crashed into it's automatous car.;);)

So the only way to test if it works it is to try and crash your car?:eek:

Chances are the system has more bottle than you! I don't think it's wise to test it, it's there to protect you for when you're distracted, nothing else. I think we can assume that VW has probably tested it on our behalf ;) I won't be testing mine anyway, but happy to hear from anyone who successfully tests theirs! Would be less happy to hear from anyone who has an unsuccessful test that is outside the range of conditions the system is developed for, which leads to a crash...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I think I would prefer such a system if it protected my vehicle from "distracted " drivers.
A 19 mph maximum speed limit, OK. Is that the true speed or speedometer speed?
Being "distracted" in city traffic moving at less than 19mph is not, in my personal opinion, the sign of a competent driver.
Anyway, hope you all enjoy it and that you never experience in action.:thumb

Sounds interesting, a instantaneously deployed force field 30mm around your vehicle if the 'personal space' is compromised.

Sounds interesting, a instantaneously deployed force field 30mm around your vehicle if the 'personal space' is compromised.
I would say that's basically what it is, but limited to the front. Don't know what the distance is, but if it detects anything within the limit it will brake to prevent contact / minimise contact.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Our Qahqai has it, and depending on weather conditions it will or won't work. I.e. Snow on bumper.
A colleague had someone cut him up on the motorway, in traffic, and he almost went through the window, unexpected emergency stop.
I have had the warning beeps a few times.

Ok so maybe my assumption was wrong it seems? (not sure if the above is a discussion from those who have this or just general comments?) I would have though that the system would be obvious working just on a daily basis - stop start traffic and maintaining a gap - that certainly appears how its advertised (my interpretation anyway..) and not just a safety feature for the final few mm that only occur in emergency.

you could try a soft test, such as a bed sheet held by a couple of helpers and drive slowly towards it. Might work and no damage if it doesn't.

Ok so maybe my assumption was wrong it seems? (not sure if the above is a discussion from those who have this or just general comments?) I would have though that the system would be obvious working just on a daily basis - stop start traffic and maintaining a gap - that certainly appears how its advertised (my interpretation anyway..) and not just a safety feature for the final few mm that only occur in emergency.

We have the city assist on our Mk7 Golf and I can confirm its only active in emergencies. Here's what VW say on their website.

"Front Assist monitors the traffic situation in front of your car, warning you when you get too close and even applying the brakes to help avoid collision.

Judging the speed and distance of other road users isn’t always easy, so Front Assist does it for you. It uses radar sensors to measure the distance and relative speed of other vehicles ahead and provides you with an early warning system. If it detects a potential rear-end collision, Front Assist alerts you visually and audibly, while also preparing the brakes for emergency braking.

The city emergency brake function is active in urban traffic at speeds up to 19 miles per hour. If you don’t brake enough Front Assist boosts the braking pressure to prevent a collision. And if you don’t brake at all Front Assist automatically steps in and does it for you. It’s a bit like having an attentive front passenger beside you with their own brake pedal.

That way Front Assist helps you prevent an accident, or at least minimise the consequences."

Back