Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Claims handling company?

BikerGran

BikerGran

Growing old disgracefully
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
An idiot driver reversed into the front corner of my parked California today. Luckily it's completely driveable as I'm off for a long weekend tomorrow. Phoned the insurance company, Safeguard which is a division of Swinton. I was a bit disappointed to find that the bloke I was speaking to didn't seem to understand that the California is a factory built item not a conversion, but I suppose they can't all know about everything and he was really going through a formula.

He wanted me to agree to having my claim dealt with a by a company (whose name I can't remember as I was somewhat uptight at the time, it was something like Enterprise but I know that's car hire. He said they would handle it quickly and make sure I had a hire vehicle while mine was being repaired (which apparently I wouldn't get with Swinton dealing with it, I told him I would want to do some research before agreeing to that and it won't be before next week as I'll be away.

My reason for this was that I'm sure I've read somewhere about a campervan owner having terrible problems with a clain that was being dealt with by a company appointed by their insurer and I wondered if anyone here had any experience of them? Or had a recent claim with Safeguard?

Oh and by the way - yes I'm gutted that someone has bashed into my lovely van! He said he was dazzled by the low sun, which was probably correct but I pointed out that if you can't see where you're going when driving you should stop!

We’re insured with Safeguard and had a claim (a minor collision with a post, which was my own fault). They were helpful and whilst they wanted to allocate a repair centre, they were quite happy for me to pick my own. I nominated a repair agent, which I picked as a VW approved repair centre. Mine was driveable too, so I picked when the work was done and the repair company lent me a car whilst they had my van.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

We’re insured with Safeguard and had a claim (a minor collision with a post, which was my own fault). They were helpful and whilst they wanted to allocate a repair centre, they were quite happy for me to pick my own. I nominated a repair agent, which I picked as a VW approved repair centre. Mine was driveable too, so I picked when the work was done and the repair company lent me a car whilst they had my van.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com
Thanks, that's helpful.

Enterprise (same co as the car hire one) also handle claims management on behalf in insurance companies - book repairs and arrange hire car etc - they are used a lot by company car fleet management companies.

Just check with your insurer / small print that you will not be liable for the hire car cost etc should the other insurer not agree to cover same.

Most decent body shops offer a courtesy car, so hire car is not always necessary.

Have you tried talking direct with the other parties insurers?
I've found that they will normally be very accommodating in order to avoid the additional cost of a claims management company getting involved.
I was in a similar position last year & after a no fault accident had a brand new £165k 911 turbo for a couple of weeks as a hire car & my car got repaired at my choice of repairers.
Also saves having to pay excess & reclaim it etc.

Yes, they are VW's own claims management company and will ensure it is repaired to VW standard.
Their website says it's only free for the first 3 years, I'm off away for the weekend but will check it out when I get back.

I phoned VW Ensurance but I almost wish I hadn't. they're really not doing much, I'm having to liaise with my insurers and even the authorised VW repairers they put me onto say that they just complicate matters. However it is progressing and I do expect to get a hire vehicle, not sure what but it will be automatic. The estimate's been done and I'm waiting to hear that it's been approved and get a start date for the repair.

Be very wary of using an accident management company and their offer of a hire car. A quick google search of 'credit hire issues' will bring up a minefield and some horror stories.

Be very wary of using an accident management company and their offer of a hire car. A quick google search of 'credit hire issues' will bring up a minefield and some horror stories.
This IS the VW one - and there's no question of fault as I wasn't even in my van at the time.

This IS the VW one - and there's no question of fault as I wasn't even in my van at the time.

Accident management companies love non-fault stuff. It’s how they make tens of thousands of pounds on a claim in hire car costs. It’s just a warning from myself to anyone reading this thread. Tread carefully.

Well I've got the hire vehicle and if they try to make me pay I'll sue them for misrepresentation!