Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Claying

whistlingdogg

whistlingdogg

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Just thought I'd share my claying results here. I've never heard of this before and just stumbled on a recommendation on another forum. My panels were starting to feel a bit gritty so I thought I'd give claying a try. Popped down to Halfords to pick up whatever they had (no real research). They had a Meguiars clay kit on offer for £20 and some change. After cleaning and drying the beach I clayed a small section and immediately noticed the difference. Gone were all those tiny bumps and I was left with a perfect smooth finish. I also had a load of white specks on one side of my van (no idea where they came from) and the claying removed all of them. It didn't take long to do the whole van and it now looks absolutely amazing.

WHHHAAAAAAAAAYYYYY Tooooo much time on your hands!

I really want to clay my van too but it must take ages. By the time you wash it all with the two bucket method. Rinse. Dry. Then if you clay and/or polish you'll need to wax as well to put a protective coat back on

To be honest it really didn't take that much time. Much quicker than waxing. One hand with the spray and the other rubbing the clay bar on the bodywork. Do an area and then quickly wipe off. Probably took me 20mins to do the whole van excluding the roof. I don't think it really needs it everytime you wash but it made a huge difference.

I've never been brave enough to try claying but what I have recently bought is williams racing waterless wax, anyone else tried it it's amazing.
Basically you polish the van without washing it first, sounds crazy but it works.
Tried it on the door mirror casing first as the wife had brushed it against a hedge and had a couple of scratches. Then gradually got braver and eventually did the whole van, no scratches and the van shiny in an hour rather than the afternoon that it normally takes me.
4c95a5342b9abcf417e92c2eadf0deb1.jpg
28204da3167a64948539438fbd34a28b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This is the start of a slippery slope into detailing and washing the van with two buckets! It can get very addictive, believe me!

This.....absolutely this!!

The products on the market now have moved on so much since my T-Cut days on the Cortina. Claying really works and it's amazing seeing how much rubbish is lifted off what you think is clean paintwork.

WHHHAAAAAAAAAYYYYY Tooooo much time on your hands!
Well, if I'm not running kids about on an evening, I have at least an hour and a half to kill every night whilst the Wife watches Emmerdale, Corrie and Easteners as I can't bear to be in the same room whilst these are on TV. So I go outside and potter aka clean, wash or polish the van etc. There's always something to do, I have been known to take the wheels off and clean and polish the inside of those.

I've never been brave enough to try claying but what I have recently bought is williams racing waterless wax, anyone else tried it it's amazing.
Basically you polish the van without washing it first, sounds crazy but it works.
Tried it on the door mirror casing first as the wife had brushed it against a hedge and had a couple of scratches. Then gradually got braver and eventually did the whole van, no scratches and the van shiny in an hour rather than the afternoon that it normally takes me.
4c95a5342b9abcf417e92c2eadf0deb1.jpg
28204da3167a64948539438fbd34a28b.jpg

I use this too! It is good but wash away any mud or other "proper" dirt before using it. I use it straight on my van if it's just dusty but not actually dirty. There is another similar product available too called Showroom Shine which is about a tenner a bottle. Both are good for polishing the inside and outside of wheels as they get off brake dust and tar and prevent build up in future.

Did you buy a special spray cleaner or just spray water and clay...?
I think we need some pics ;)

I use this too! It is good but wash away any mud or other "proper" dirt before using it. I use it straight on my van if it's just dusty but not actually dirty. There is another similar product available too called Showroom Shine which is about a tenner a bottle. Both are good for polishing the inside and outside of wheels as they get off brake dust and tar and prevent build up in future.
Hi cbdubs, I use Trolls Breath for my wheels twice a year, removes the iron contamination from them. Safe on all wheels and paint work. PH neutral.

Hi cbdubs, I use Trolls Breath for my wheels twice a year, removes the iron contamination from them. Safe on all wheels and paint work. PH neutral.
I haven't heard of that one. I also sometimes use Rimwax which is decent stuff and smells like old fashioned bubblegum.

Used showroom shine and the Williams one both good. If dirty I lightly power wash off at an angle let dry then polish.
Bird muck just slides off, also not recommended on the windscreen but I do. When it rains the water just beads off without the need of the wiper for light rain that is.

Going to give this clay bar a go at the weekend...not out of choice, rather necessity after returning home this evening to find Gurty covered in brick and mortar dust from the numpty contractor doing the cavity wall insulation next door...spent 3 hours cleaning the van, I even vacuumed the window seals, which is a first. Hopefully the clay bar will remove any crap left on the paint.

ADB7F7AE-97C4-472C-967D-FA9ED8C90E12.jpeg

Make sure you get rid of all grit properly before claying or you might as well use sandpaper.

If you can, take it into a shaded area, soak it through (snow foam if possible) then leave for 30 mins. Rinse once with garden hose then power blast off with pressure washer.

Then adopt the two bucket method haha :thumb:Grin

Make sure you get rid of all grit properly before claying or you might as well use sandpaper.

If you can, take it into a shaded area, soak it through (snow foam if possible) then leave for 30 mins. Rinse once with garden hose then power blast off with pressure washer.

Then adopt the two bucket method haha :thumb:Grin

Unfortunately due to an earlier incident with my snow foam attachment I couldn’t do my preferred method of pre-cleaning, so it went like this...

Vacuumed all seals, gaskets and wipers >
jet wash with a misting spray (1) >
2 bucket wash (1) >
jet wash with a misting spray (2) >
2 bucket wash (2) >
jet wash with a misting spray (3) >
rub down with microfibre towel >
Autoglym super resin polish to finish.

...I’ve given her a look over today and I couldn’t see any surface coat damage, but it was dull and I’ll only be able to tell in the sunshine.

Use this as your guide........
Ensure you rinse before you start and don't cross contaminate products.

Screenshot_20180606-143430.png

Use this as your guide........
Ensure you rinse before you start and don't cross contaminate products.

View attachment 34072
Might try all that once I retire but until then absolutely no chance!
Will stick with the williams system I think.

So with all this talk of clay, thought I’d give it a go.

Before....,,
99077D8B-FD15-4C19-83F8-6CD45F75DAF4.jpeg

and after....,.....

43C341CB-BCA4-4DAD-85D5-84F7886FEA09.jpeg

Amazeballs. :pinkbanana

Unfortunately due to an earlier incident with my snow foam attachment...

OMG this is a whole new world for me. I’ve just bought a snow foam thingy and gave that a go also. Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG this is a whole new world for me. I’ve just bought a snow foam thingy and gave that a go also. Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which snow foam thingy did you get?

Snow foam is good stuff. I use it mainly in winter as a pre wash. In summer my van is washed regularly ( 3 or 4 times a week - I know, my Wife says I'm very sad!) so doesn't really get that dirty.
There are lots of different types of foamers available which fit different pressure washers but I just have the manual hand pump version. They are all around £20.

Back