Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cleaning bicycle from the van

kave

kave

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
I am considering getting something to be able to clean my mtb as well as help in doing some dish washing.
I am considering this, which might be good with a pump and 15L tank for dishes, but might be way too low pressure for cleaning a MTB?
http://xtc.aulich24.de/product_info.php?info=p531_Hebeldusche-m--Schlauch-offen.html

I realize a portable Kärcher is better to clean MTBs but not so much for the dishes. The 4L tank is way too small as well:
https://www.kaercher.com/uk/home-garden/mobile-cleaning/oc3-16800050.html
Any ideas?
I don’t like to have both.

I use a hand pressure washer, works fine so long as the dirt isn't baked on, organic cleaners from mucoff do their job with a soft brush. Shall we go into the bike version of detailing :(

I have a portable pressure washer that plugs into a cigarette sockets. Works well on muddy dogs too.

Pressure washers often considered not the best for bikes, they can wash out oil from inner parts. I always wash my bike with low pressure hose and a soft brush

That mobi one I linked to isn't very high pressure. Pretty similar to a garden hose

I've had a mobi wash v17 for about ten years now. A long as you wash the bike at the end of the ride, when the muck is still wet, it's more then adequate. Can normally do 2-3 bikes and mucky shoes off one fill.
The bully in battery is getting weak now so I tend to use the 12v supply, I did get a new battery really.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I would say there is no proper high pressure washers that runs off 12V or battery.
The Kärcher one is in fact called Low Pressure washer.

MTBs and cross bikes will be jet washed. Road bikes will be sponged.

Pressure washers often considered not the best for bikes, they can wash out oil from inner parts. I always wash my bike with low pressure hose and a soft brush
I wouldn't worry too much, unless you're bike is a very cheap one with poor seals....
This video shows some "scientific" testing

Has anyone tried the shower attachment for the sink tap for bike cleaning? Do they have a 'jet' setting that is anywhere near useful in removing still wet trail mud, potentially in combination with Mucoff?

I have one of the 17l Mobi washers which is great, but when carting all the camping gear, 2 kids and 4 MTB for multi day trips it doesn't make it onto the 'must take' list.

I wouldn't worry too much, unless you're bike is a very cheap one with poor seals....
This video shows some "scientific" testing

I'm not so sure... My £4.2k All Mountain Haibike (Bosch) was trashed just by using a normal hose with a gun on the end to get wet mud off. Not only did the motor need replacing (£700 under warrantee) but also the rear wheel and headset bearings rusted out from water ingress. Then I read the instructions and found out they only recommend a non pressurised water flow ie: rain or a hose with no attachment. I now only clean the chain and gears to save the constant rebuilding. Silly me to think a £4k+ German ALL mountain bike could resist the pathetically low water pressure here. Ho Hum.

I'm not so sure... My £4.2k All Mountain Haibike (Bosch) was trashed just by using a normal hose with a gun on the end to get wet mud off. Not only did the motor need replacing (£700 under warrantee) but also the rear wheel and headset bearings rusted out from water ingress. Then I read the instructions and found out they only recommend a non pressurised water flow ie: rain or a hose with no attachment. I now only clean the chain and gears to save the constant rebuilding. Silly me to think a £4k+ German ALL mountain bike could resist the pathetically low water pressure here. Ho Hum.
You need Hope parts, from rainy Lancashire!

You need Hope parts, from rainy Lancashire!

Having never spent more than about 10% of the cost of a Haibike on a bicycle before (last one 10 years old and only had chain, gears and brakes replaces a few times and still going strong) I thought I was buying the Land Rover Defender of mountain bikes. Oh how wrong was I! After the problems started I was amazed to discover there are no little or no seals on some of the bearings. The head set had no seal of any kind.... even a light mist would have found its way in through the visible gap. If Hope parts can make it even semi water proof then I’m sold!

Having never spent more than about 10% of the cost of a Haibike on a bicycle before (last one 10 years old and only had chain, gears and brakes replaces a few times and still going strong) I thought I was buying the Land Rover Defender of mountain bikes. Oh how wrong was I! After the problems started I was amazed to discover there are no little or no seals on some of the bearings. The head set had no seal of any kind.... even a light mist would have found its way in through the visible gap. If Hope parts can make it even semi water proof then I’m sold!

I know exactly where you are coming from. I had a £5500 Haibike Enduro Pro, and the seals were pathetic. I never used a jet wash, only a hose, but still trashed the motor bearings. They were completely unsealed. At least it was replaced under warranty. It had many other design issues - terribly overgeared, exposed cables rubbing paint off the frame, rear shock exposed to stone damage, high chain wear, etc.. Got rid of it after 18 months and lost £2000 in depreciation - more than my Cali in that time, I suspect.

I've got a Specialized Turbo Levo now - I can't fault it...

I know exactly where you are coming from. I had a £5500 Haibike Enduro Pro, and the seals were pathetic. I never used a jet wash, only a hose, but still trashed the motor bearings. They were completely unsealed. At least it was replaced under warranty. It had many other design issues - terribly overgeared, exposed cables rubbing paint off the frame, rear shock exposed to stone damage, high chain wear, etc.. Got rid of it after 18 months and lost £2000 in depreciation - more than my Cali in that time, I suspect.

I've got a Specialized Turbo Levo now - I can't fault it...
Sadly I’m with you on that one. Now I know not to get it wet I’ll keep it dry and hold off for a while as market is changing fast. Lots of great stuff coming out and looking forward to what’s next. Perhaps it’s just the price you pay for being an early adopter. Still had loads of fun on the bike so not all a loss. It’s only a shame it’s designed/ built with a Primark mentality. Shame on you Haibike.

Sadly I’m with you on that one. Now I know not to get it wet I’ll keep it dry and hold off for a while as market is changing fast. Lots of great stuff coming out and looking forward to what’s next. Perhaps it’s just the price you pay for being an early adopter. Still had loads of fun on the bike so not all a loss. It’s only a shame it’s designed/ built with a Primark mentality. Shame on you Haibike.
This is how my bike often gets washed at the end of a ride......
b892126f295ff96bb21bad6640026cbd.jpg

This is how my bike often gets washed at the end of a ride......
b892126f295ff96bb21bad6640026cbd.jpg

Hahahaha..love it. That’s the way a mountain bike should take it! If only mine could get within 100m of water without falling to bits. You clearly choose more wisely.

Mobi,s are good. Don’t own one but have borrowed the use of them at races before from friends. They seem pretty frugal with their water use as well. Not sure it would be a priority in the van though if there were a few of us.

A bucket and a brush otherwise, though a jet wash or hose is fine as long as you keep away from the bearings and shock seals.