Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cleaning fresh water hose

FoodieLoobie

FoodieLoobie

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have a blue, food grade, hose which I use to fill the fresh water tank. There are now some dark marks appearing on the inside of the hose. I assume this is due to the inside always remaining slightly damp.

My hose is currently strung up in my bathroom shower cubicle. I have poured in a whole bottle of Milton sterilising solution. Even with a funnel this wasn’t that easy to do and the hose is not full so after leaving it for a while I will have to move the hose about to move the sterilising solution to reach other inside parts. I think the hose is about 12-14M long.

Surely there is a better and easier way to keep the hose clean. What do others do? Or does a hose only have a very short useable life and I should expect to buy a new one every 12 months or so?

Just watched a vid on yt where they clean it with water and sand...However it was a hose of an aquarium.

Brave! I dread to think of what bacteria lurks in a garden hose, especially in the summer months.
Well still here after 60+ years of caravanning and Campervaning.

Tap water is chlorinated and if the hose is flushed properly then not a problem.

I presume you dry your food grade water hose between uses?, and properly sterilise and clean each time you use it.:mute

Of course you do.:rolleyes:

Even if you are meticulous about cleaning the filling hose and drying it out the holding tank is never going to be dried out, so I think you can only do what you are doing and do a regular sterilisation of the tank. Having said that I have a separate water bottle for drinking, just in case.

Between: We use this two things to fill the tank because on site the water hose is often right next to the dumpstation (just my impression).
952de0c7c12a24c8cb4e1ceafca3ca71.jpg

84f0100d7759aad9ab0fe6d91c24fcd2.jpg

At home we use the garden hose. Never had any problem. However cleaning the tank is a good idea note to myself.

I also use the exact flunnel as above in combination with a collapseble bucket witch both are only and only used for filling the fresh water tank .