Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cleaning the Cali

BlueBottle

BlueBottle

BlueBottle
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi!
Does anyone have any preferences on tools to clean the paintwork on Cali's? Is a microfibre mop best or a brush? Or something else? I don't want to damage the paintwork. Thanks!

A butler sounds like the best suggestion! Thanks for the advice, just mainly wanted to know if there was anything to definitely avoid or really good to use. :thumb

A butler sounds like the best suggestion! Thanks for the advice, just mainly wanted to know if there was anything to definitely avoid or really good to use. :thumb

I did a lot of research on this as our Cali is black and if you don't do it correctly it will look awful.
I use a two bucket system. One to wash and the other to regularly rinse the mitt.

Before washing it for the first time I bought the following:
1. An alluminiun step platform to stand on when washing the roof etc.
2. 2 x Large buckets with grit guards.
3. A marino lambs wool wash mitt.
4. Autoglym wash liquid.
5. A stack of micro fibre cloths.
6. Some pre wash foam for the jet washer.
( I already had a jet washer )

I know it sounds a lot of stuff but you can't just use a yard broom on black paint as it shows every mark.

When I wash it (and that is not every week) I do it as follows:

a. Wash it off thoroughly with the jet washer.
b. Apply the prewash foam with the jet washer and leave to work.
c. Wash that off with the jet washer.
d. Wash each panel with the Marino mitt using the two bucket system.
e. Wash off with the jet washer.
f. Pat dry with the micro fibre cloths.

The jury is out on the prewash stuff so steps b and c are optional.
The essential thing is to wash the vehicle without introducing any grit to the wash.
Never wash on a hot sunny day. Much better results if you use a dull day or a light drizzle to wash in.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I did a lot of research on this as our Cali is black and if you don't do it correctly it will look awful.
I use a two bucket system. One to wash and the other to regularly rinse the mitt.

Before washing it for the first time I bought the following:
1. An alluminiun step platform to stand on when washing the roof etc.
2. 2 x Large buckets with grit guards.
3. A marino lambs wool wash mitt.
4. Autoglym wash liquid.
5. A stack of micro fibre cloths.
6. Some pre wash foam for the jet washer.
( I already had a jet washer )

I know it sounds a lot of stuff but you can't just use a yard broom on black paint as it shows every mark.

When I wash it (and that is not every week) I do it as follows:

a. Wash it off thoroughly with the jet washer.
b. Apply the prewash foam with the jet washer and leave to work.
c. Wash that off with the jet washer.
d. Wash each panel with the Marino mitt using the two bucket system.
e. Wash off with the jet washer.
f. Pat dry with the micro fibre cloths.

The jury is out on the prewash stuff so steps b and c are optional.
The essential think is to wash the vehicle without introducing any grit to the wash.
Never wash on a hot sunny day. Much better results if you use a dull day or a light drizzle to wash in.

Good luck.

Can i make a appointment to clean mine , fix price or rate by the hour?

Hello again BlueBottle,
I forgot to mention these. They are briliant for getting the wheels thoroughly clean. Oh and an Autoglym squeegy blade thing that you can use to woosh the surplus water off prior to drying.

image.png

Last edited:
I used to go through a similar routine to Borris when washing my black little sports car and estate car. Time consuming. 6 months ago I switched to ENJO (chemical free). All of a sudden both cars could be washed and spotless (no stray marks as no chemicals used) in no time at all. High pressure hose, clean with ENJO glove, rinse with high pressure hose, dry with ENJO drying cloth. There are also 'fibres' for alloys. Again, "simples". Leaving more time to plan for the van... :) Sadly that meant selling the sports car... :( I'm sure I won't miss it after March 1st :thumb

I used to go through a similar routine to Borris when washing my black little sports car and estate car. Time consuming. 6 months ago I switched to ENJO (chemical free). All of a sudden both cars could be washed and spotless (no stray marks as no chemicals used) in no time at all. High pressure hose, clean with ENJO glove, rinse with high pressure hose, dry with ENJO drying cloth. There are also 'fibres' for alloys. Again, "simples". Leaving more time to plan for the van... :) Sadly that meant selling the sports car... :( I'm sure I won't miss it after March 1st :thumb
Hello Alison,
What is ENJO? I haven't heard of this method.

Borris, I sent a PM with more info in case anyone thinks I'm advertising. Although I'm not a rep in any way shape or form. Just a convinced happy customer. Alison

Nooooooo don't use a squeegy. Any grit will scratch.
Otherwise follow the instructions from Borris:thumb
Hello Snowy55,
I am wondering if I have described the item correctly. This is what I described as a the squeegy. Are we talking about the same thing? If we are, I would be interested in your experience of using them. If there is any likely hood of causing damage then I will be giving it the elbow.
I didn't get a free mug! :(
image.png

Borris, I sent a PM with more info in case anyone thinks I'm advertising. Although I'm not a rep in any way shape or form. Just a convinced happy customer. Alison
Thanks Alison.

I use one of those extending brush things, but make sure it's good quality soft one as some of them have quite hard bristles. Make sure also it's one where the bristles extend each side to keep the hard plastic off the paintwork.

1. Pressure wash, particularly the alloys
2. Put some cold water in a bucket
3. Clean the windscreen first (don't want MER here)
4. Add some MER to the cold water
5. Clean the rest of the van using this and the brush
6. Finish off any missed areas with a microfibre cloth dipped in the MER/water
7. Rinse with the pressure wash or just a hose
8. Leave to drip excess water for a short spell
9. Dry off with a clean microfibre cloth
10. Admire Cali! :thumb

PS: If you're parking it up, go for a short drive to dry the brakes and leave the hand brake off, if safe to do so.

PPS: I only clean the roof every so often, it seems to stay fairly clean.

Hello Snowy55,
I am wondering if I have described the item correctly. This is what I described as a the squeegy. Are we talking about the same thing? If we are, I would be interested in your experience of using them. If there is any likely hood of causing damage then I will be giving it the elbow.
I didn't get a free mug! :(
View attachment 11979

No personal experience with any type of squeegy because any particle of grit left in the water can leave a scratch on the paintwork.

Hello again BlueBottle,
I forgot to mention these. They are briliant for getting the wheels thoroughly clean. Oh and an Autoglym squeegy blade thing that you can use to woosh the surplus water off prior to drying.

View attachment 11978
Hello Raggedroy,
I noticed that you disagreed with my use of the merino wheel wands/woolies for cleaning alloy wheels. That's fine but can I ask why? I am doing something wrong or might I cause damage by using them? So far I have found them to be really good.

Hello Raggedroy,
I noticed that you disagreed with my use of the merino wheel wands/woolies for cleaning alloy wheels. That's fine but can I ask why? I am doing something wrong or might I cause damage by using them? So far I have found them to be really good.
Hi Borris,
in my opinion your washing regime is spot on, its the squeegee I disagree with. As you mentioned black shows every mark. I follow a similar routine but use rain water for the final rinse to reduce water marks. I do use a squeegee but only on the windows.

Last edited:
The jury is out on the prewash stuff s
Is that like a snowfoam product, does it lift a lot of the dirt like people say?? Thanks

Hi Borris,
in my opinion your washing regime is spot on, its the squeegee I disagree with. As you mentioned black shows every mark. I follow a similar routine but use rain water for the final rinse to reduce water marks. I do use a squeegee but only on the windows.
Thanks Raggedroy,
I think I will stop using the squeegee just in case.

Actually you may remember me quizzing you about your cleaning regime at Calis on the farm last year. I was very impressed by the finish on your Cali. At the time I was apprehensive about buying a black Cali due to the work involved keeping it clean. I bought SMG's black 180SE 4motion demonstrator whilst at the event after talking to you. My current cleaning regime is based on your advice. Many thanks

Is that like a snowfoam product, does it lift a lot of the dirt like people say?? Thanks
Yes it is Snow foam. It does seem to shift most of the dirt left over after I've jet washed it. All that remains is a very thin film of hazy dirt. If you run your finger across the paintwork you can clearly see that it is still dirty.

Some believe that using a pressure washer around the sliding Windows can promote the development of leaks. I tend to just use a hose on the bodywork.

Yes it is Snow foam. It does seem to shift most of the dirt left over after I've jet washed it. All that remains is a very thin film of hazy dirt. If you run your finger across the paintwork you can clearly see that it is still dirty.
Thanks, I keep dithering over buying a lance and snowfoam, I'll probably succumb in the end. :)

I also used snow foam - but was conscious of the chemicals both to me and the environment. Never regretted stopping and car easier to clean and no streaks since using ENJO. Oh and it stays clean as well. Did 1000 mile trip last summer and neighbours were shocked that car was still clean when I got home.

Welshgas - thanks for the tip about not using pressure hose around sliding windows.

Back