Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cleaning the roof

P

Prycey13

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
not sure if anyone has asked this before but what do you use to clean the roof? Normally I would start on the roof but reaching is an issue and don’t really trust myself not to tip the ladder into the Cali and dent it ☹️

I used to stand on the low dividing wall between my house and next door and clean it with a long brush attached to the hose. Will have to come up with a new plan as I have recently moved house.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Not an easy task so usually in our case the roof just stays dirty. But my basic method:

1. With pop-top down, jet wash roof roughly using stepladder, to loosen up the crud especially at each end of the indented channels.
2. With pop-top down, shampoo roof using stepladder.
3. Elevate pop-top and rinse roof with hose, allow to drain off.
4. Think about repeating steps 2 and 3 but then get distracted by a less tedious job for an hour or so.
5. Put roof down and go inside for a beer.

I used to stand on the low dividing wall between my house and next door and clean it with a long brush attached to the hose. Will have to come up with a new plan as I have recently moved house.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
How did you manage to move your house?

I just stand on a ladder. Even with my 1,95 meters of height, I can't reach the roof properly to clean it.

Small foldable step and an adjustable Mico Fiber Mit for us. We take the Micro Fiber Mit on our trips away too as it doubles up as an awning cleaner & drier removing those hard to get at leaves/twigs along with any excess water (rain/dew etc.)
Cleaning.JPG

Roof all cleaned and polished today, 3 step stepladder (a 4 step would be better) and air suspension dropped to point that mud flaps are touching the ground. I can just reach the roof centre, awning fitted, at full stretch.
Face the stepladder towards the Cali and it won't topple into it, as it may well do if put side on.
I'm 6ft ish.

I have 3 step version but think this would be more suitable

Last edited:
I use a step platform, the type used by plasterers.

The process I use is:
1. Jet wash the roof first to remove grit etc. This is most important as there is usually loads of crud in the indentations.
2. Snow foam to loosen the remaining grime.
3. Jet wash the snow foam away.
4. Brush the roof using one of those soft long handled car cleaning brushes attached to a hose.
5. Then a quick go over with a soapy wash mitt.
6. Jet wash.

Sounds complicated but I'm a fussy ...........

I use a step platform, the type used by plasterers.

The process I use is:
1. Jet wash the roof first to remove grit etc. This is most important as there is usually loads of crud in the indentations.
2. Snow foam to loosen the remaining grime.
3. Jet wash the snow foam away.
4. Brush the roof using one of those soft long handled car cleaning brushes attached to a hose.
5. Then a quick go over with a soapy wash mitt.
6. Jet wash.

Sounds complicated but I'm a fussy ...........

8A07671C-1DD4-4BBB-91B5-47EE99B4E7E4.png

Thanks for advice all. Wife’s been at me to get a short ladder for a while so she can weed the flower bed on top of the shed. Sounds like a plan

I bought an extending micro fibre cloth pad holder off Amazon great and easy to use

I use the internal ladder for accessing pop top, leaning securely against side of van but with plastic foam pipe insulators wrapped around the ladder edges were contacting the van,
Feels pretty secure to me and safe for the van
And to be sure I don’t mind risking falling a few feet of a ladder but no way would I risk scratching the van

I recently bought a Clarke FPL3 Multi-Function Alloy ladder together with the platform panels direct from Clarke Tooling.

Really sturdy with cross leg extensions and great as a platform. Ideal for Cali roof washing and getting up onto the flat roof or my garage...amongst other things.

Alan

I use a small set of decorating steps and a Vileda mop which is only used for the van roof and windscreen.

not sure if anyone has asked this before but what do you use to clean the roof? Normally I would start on the roof but reaching is an issue and don’t really trust myself not to tip the ladder into the Cali and dent it ☹
Step ladder and long handle brush.

A workman’s hop up is a brilliant investment for decorating at home. So much better than a stepladder and now I have another use for it. Thanks!

How did you manage to move your house?

I just stand on a ladder. Even with my 1,95 meters of height, I can't reach the roof properly to clean it.
Me too, I struggle to reach across the windscreen tbh and I’m 6 ft 5.

Cleaned the solar panels, the rest will wait till it rains as usual.

Sorry - I'm one of those lazy (and old) buggers who take the van to a hand carwash! For around £10 (some are less) they do a brilliant job in about 20 minutes. Then I asked recently if they would do the roof as well. I think they charged another fiver. Well worth it. And you can sit inside the van doing the crossword!