Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cleaning water tank

Pro moochers

Pro moochers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Just picked up a Cali and the previous owner rarely used it.
Worth sterilising it?
If so, how?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How old is it. Mines a 2016 and I just used mine normally. If your boiling the water for a coffee anyway you will survive. You could fill it half way. Drive about a bit and dump it. Depends on the age I suppose. Otherwise Milton

How old is it. Mines a 2016 and I just used mine normally. If your boiling the water for a coffee anyway you will survive. You could fill it half way. Drive about a bit and dump it. Depends on the age I suppose. Otherwise Milton

It’s a 2012.
We will only be using the water for hot drinks and washing anyway so, good point

It’s a 2012.
We will only be using the water for hot drinks and washing anyway so, good point

Mine was 2nd hand too. Just give it a rinse. Make sure you use your own hosepipe at camp sites to fill it as people often rinse out their crap buckets with them when they can't find the proper disposal point. That's a bigger worry. But that's caravanners for you

As suggested above a few Milton tablets & half tank. Take for a drive to slosh it about a bit then dump, flush through & use.

Super... thanks!

MIlton in to main tank then run through sink into waste tank so pipes done and help clean waste tank at same tim. GO for drive slosh around in both tanks then empty waste.

Katadyn ?? Purification tablets .
On Amazon there are many variants so still haven’t tried any myself.
Was a bit put off by Milton as ‘maybe corrosive to metals’ so quick swill and flush on that basis.
I now use Aqua Sol and am still here! 40D1D386-D194-4F78-B27E-381D657CC1BF.jpeg

I’ve just bought some Milton liquid, question is, can I pour it into the tank without using the external filler cap?

Why didn’t I think of that?
Thanks

Dilute into a container/bottle and fill using funnel through filler, cannot think of any other way to get it in there

Mine was 2nd hand too. Just give it a rinse. Make sure you use your own hosepipe at camp sites to fill it as people often rinse out their crap buckets with them when they can't find the proper disposal point. That's a bigger worry. But that's caravanners for you
Oh sing. That's bloody horrible

Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated. My task tomorrow after the van has been sitting for a while - away at the weekend yippee

Anyone had any problems using Milton, read a previous comment re corrosion to metal. As far as I can see, it’s all plastic so a couple of tablets popped in then washed down with water should be fine, just a little hesitant.

Anyone had any problems using Milton, read a previous comment re corrosion to metal. As far as I can see, it’s all plastic so a couple of tablets popped in then washed down with water should be fine, just a little hesitant.

it’s all plastic!

And the sink......

I used Milton tablets occasionally in the old van, no problems after nearly 7 years. Just don’t let it sit in the sink.

Use the right stuff and clean it with Puriclean ...

Puriclean is perfect for cleaning & purifying all stored water systems and can also be used on boats, Caravans, Motor Homes & others.
Unique dual purpose formula, cleaning & sterilising rolled into one.
Cleans a water system from top to bottom including any tanks, pipes, pumps & taps.
Powerfully removes bacteria, viruses, biofilm, algae & fungi.
It's as simple as soaking & flushing.
This formula will not harm any components of your system.
Puriclean is quick & simple to use, simply add to your water system & leave to soak for a maximum of 2 hours then rinse.

Go chemical free and give the tank a flush out once a month...

100% puriclean - only about £6 for a tub on Amazon. No taste residue either (not that that is an issue for me anymore after covid - - I’ve had no taste or smell since Dec ☹️). Not to change the subject but has anyone suffered similar and found something that brings smell back?

What about the usual punch up over filling/not filling from a hose pipe once it's cleaned out.:Grin

Back