Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cleaning your roof

Joe England

Joe England

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi ladies and gents how do you clean or polish your roof? At the moment finding it very hard to reach the middle!?

One of those extending brushes you get from Robert Dyas, attaches to the garden hose but still end up with "sediment" in the gullys of the roof.
Can't be bothered with polish though!

As above, I also stand on a step platform and use one of those extendable brushes on a hose. You often see them for sale at the larger petrol stations for about £10. I polish about twice a year, one of those being after a claying.

Most of the time I only give it a full wash and dry about once every six weeks. However I do take it to a self service car wash about every week where I use only the jet lance on hot wash then spray wax. That usually keeps the whole van looking about 95% tickerty boo.

Is it uncommon to have a small ladder or step in the house or garage in the UK?
I find it strange that people ask others how to reach above 2m .
Could be me but things like this just seems obvious....

Last edited:
I have a work stand bench as worried about the ladder slipping and marking the van. Unfortunately it's not quit high enough to reach the centre of the roof.

As above, I also stand on a step platform and use one of those extendable brushes on a hose. You often see them for sale at the larger petrol stations for about £10. I polish about twice a year, one of those being after a claying.

Most of the time I only give it a full wash and dry about once every six weeks. However I do take it to a self service car wash about every week where I use only the jet lance on hot wash then spray wax. That usually keeps the whole van looking about 95% tickerty boo.
Yeah ive got a step platform but just couldn't reach the middle. I'll have a look for an extendable brush thanks.

Yeah ive got a step platform but just couldn't reach the middle. I'll have a look for an extendable brush thanks.
I understand, the middle can be a stretch especially if the vehicle is not level width ways when parked.
I'd like something better than a step ladder myself for all reasons, the danger of it slipping against the van when stretching is the main one. Not all step ladders and arm lengths are equal. :thumb

Generally above the waistline the Cali stays pretty clean. Of course I wash as high as I can reach, but (don’t tell anyone) I only clean the roof properly every couple of months or so.

In between times, the dirt usually gathers at the end of the indentations where the water lodges, and these can be reached by standing on the step with the driver’s and passenger door open. At the back, I stand on the tow bar.

You could find a local height barrier and wrap some foam around it. ;)

If you don't weigh too much you can just get up a ladder and crawl about on the roof with a sponge or soft scrubbing brush, that's how we clean it.

People here are very health & safety conscious :)

But not us, clearly!

If you don't weigh too much you can just get up a ladder and crawl about on the roof with a sponge or soft scrubbing brush, that's how we clean it.
Blimey your roof must be strong!

It seems to hold 10 stone ok!

Our son is 6'5" and he reaches the middle with ease with an extending brush when he's on a small step ladder! He only charges £7 to wash the whole van and alloys too!

People here are very health & safety conscious :)
Large numbers of youngish people in the SE of England live in houses that don't have off road parking or laughably garages, just have to park on the road and try their best.

With the current trend for houses with no chimneys there must lots of little boys looking for gainful employment, just make sure they remove shoes before sending up on the roof.....

:cheers

I just do the same as most van owners - local Sainsbury's drive-thru car wash. Wash, clean,polish & dry for £6. Much easier than balancing on a step-ladder and banging the roof with a long brush.

Back