Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Clearing Error 1000

Phil-B

Phil-B

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all, hoping someone can help… After doing some work on my roof it now will not operate, it’s reporting being still open although it clearly isn’t and I have error 1000.
I’ve followed all the advice I can find to clear it, but when I hold down the bottom right intro panel button it just takes me out of the diagnostics screen then when I go back in the error is still there, if I press the middle “selector” button then again it just takes me out of diagnostics with the same results.

Follow on question, I want to re-raise the roof to see if there’s an obvious issue up there, should I be able to manually do that using the release screw under the panel? I’ve been a bit scared to do that in case the roof is then stuck up!

All help appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, should have said… it’s an SE (T5.1)

Hi all, hoping someone can help… After doing some work on my roof it now will not operate, it’s reporting being still open although it clearly isn’t and I have error 1000.
I’ve followed all the advice I can find to clear it, but when I hold down the bottom right intro panel button it just takes me out of the diagnostics screen then when I go back in the error is still there, if I press the middle “selector” button then again it just takes me out of diagnostics with the same results.

Follow on question, I want to re-raise the roof to see if there’s an obvious issue up there, should I be able to manually do that using the release screw under the panel? I’ve been a bit scared to do that in case the roof is then stuck up!

All help appreciated

What work did you do on the roof?

All help appreciated

Do you by any chance have a bungee on the roof? I only ask because ours got caught up in the mechanism and resulted in the 1000 fault code. We couldn’t clear the code either. We tried disconnecting the main battery and reconnecting after 5 mins - no Luck. The next day though I tried to put the roof up and to my surprise it went up, which is when I discovered the bungee was caught. Touch wood it seems to have been ok since and the code cleared.

Why did you have to replace that part?

Could be the hydraulic ram is out of alignment or one of the sensors damaged/out of position.

Opening the hydraulic bleed valve may allow you to lift the roof, but not if it is locked in position on one side or another.

See Post 15

Thanks, I actually managed to sort it….
The release valve does NOT allow the roof to be opened (at least it didn’t for me).
I ended up connecting a wire direct to the roof motor to get it open.
On inspection, there was a small nick in one of the wires connecting to the sensor…. Fixed that and all worked as it should again

The release valve does NOT allow the roof to be opened (at least it didn’t for me).
On inspection, there was a small nick in one of the wires connecting to the sensor…. Fixed that and all worked as it should again

Why did you have to replace Part 8 out of interest?

I’d noticed that bolt 53 had pulled itself and the nut which is fitted into the plastic of part 8 out of its housing, rounding off the hole meaning that it couldn’t be tightened back in… no idea how long it had been like that - I only bought the Cali in October. It was causing the ram to flex upwards when the roof opened and I figured only a matter of time before it caused more extensive damage. A really poor bit of design imo…

If you have any pictures of where you connected the power, that could be really useful for others in future. And how you got to it - can you access by removing the control panel or do you have to strip a load more stuff like the head lining?

Presumably one way is up and reverse polarity and it goes down? This is such a common problem that having a "how to" guide would be really useful. I would try it on my own but I don't want to tempt fate by disturbing it when it works!

What do you think the nick in the cable did - did it break the circuit, or short it to something?

Back