Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Closing Pop Top on a T4 California

Haves1979

Haves1979

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Is there a knack to folding the rear canvas of the pop top when closing the pop top? I usually break the stays at the front and lower, then walk around the van pushing in the loose canvas. The problem I have is the rear canvas is then pinned under the pop top and i'm unable to push the bit sticking out back under.

I'm sure there is an obvious answer to this, biut I can't see it!

Cheers

Would a bellows bungee (available from the shop but you can probably easily make one) help?

Bellows bungee is no good on a T4. Assuming this is a discussion about a T4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, yes it's a t4.

Cheers

Top job.

Yeah. No real knack to getting it packed away. Only advice is to make sure you’ve a window open each side to allow the air to escape evenly. Tuck and roll the sides and front as you go, and do as you have been - check nothing is going to get trapped on final closure. Sometimes you nail it, other times not. Seven years trying to refine the process and all it takes is a small gust of wind…

There are elastics in the rear of the canvas but they’re probably pretty tired now if it’s not a fresh one. All part of the joy of ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought that was what the tow ball was for.
I used to use a plastic drinks bottle (San Pelegrino works well) and sit this on the roof ledge inside above the catch at the front. Bring the roof down so it sits on the bottle then walk around the back, step on the tow ball and push the rear canvas in.

As Mr Cheese says, the elastic could be tired as when I replaced the canvas it rarely caught.

Thanks I'll give that a go. Yes the canvas is a little tired so on the list of things to do..

Cheers

Just watch the canvas at the front, it can easily catch in the closing latch and tear.
There is a Velcro flap to hold it clear.

....it can also snag on the catch when opening the pop-top too. Mine particularly likes making a grab for the flyscreen.

Yep as said leave windows or sliding door open and close slowly so escaping air doesn't push the canvas outward. Then I lean the roof on my head while pulling in the front and sides of the canvas before closing fully. Never need to go outside to tuck it in once you get the knack

The process I follow is,
1. Leave door or window open.
2. Pull down roof and support it on a piece of timber around the catch so that its held open about six inches.
3. Get out and check that the canvas is tucked in along the rear and sides.
4. Ensure the front of the canvas is clear of the catch, then lower the roof until the safety catch is engaged.
5. Do a final check around the to ensure the canvas is inside the roof.
6. Then fully close the roof.

It may seem a lot of work but it only takes a few mins. Considering the pain in the ass it is to change the canvas its worth minding it.
I let someone else close mine once, they managed to snag the canvas in the catch, thank fully they didn't rip or put a hole in it. :headbang:headbang:headbang

Back