Club joker

The Blue Merle

The Blue Merle

4x4 joker
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Checked out a club joker 2017 the other day, just wondered if anyone has one on here and the views with living with one?

I was very impressed with it, apart from drawers that looked and felt very flimsy, and no boot.
Plus only one leisure battery as standard (told that a 2nd can be added no probs). Oh and the price is pretty heavy!

Thinking of doing a tom and heading off for 6mths/yr mainly wild camping though, so shower/toilet and extra space is tempting me

I know the Cali is a better all round vehicle, but want to know if the club joker is good at driving the twisty alps and what's it like to live with?

Been brought up every now and then , sevral treads to read ....
Same thing over and over again....99% here love the Cali to much to swap

A random search gives this , not all usefull but many are

IMG_1137.PNG

I've read most of them, I love my Cali too!

Club joker would be to live in for a 6mth/yr then switch back once I have bricks and mortar again.

Thanks for reply though

I keep saying i would like such "smaller" conversions when retired so to have more luxery ...
It does work even better to do longer trips say 6 month away to the south in the winter.

In the end in comes down on where you take it , thats what makes the diffrence;)

So we are clear, are you talking about the LWB high top Joker, or the SWB pop top City Joker.

I had the T4 version (of the LWB High top), and it's great, but it's a very different beast to the Cali.

So we are clear, are you talking about the LWB high top Joker, or the SWB pop top City Joker.

I had the T4 version (of the LWB High top), and it's great, but it's a very different beast to the Cali.
Yep
Club joker is lwb high top, the other one is a poor version of Cali (club city I think it's called).

It's only if I decide to live in van for 6mths to year traveling a bit like what tom is doing in his beach, but I would like to have some luxurys. Especially if I do some snowboarding in the alps.
I think I've spent 3wks in a Cali in one go and have done 2wks in the alps in winter in one.

But to wild camp and live in van for longer the club joker ticks a lot of boxes.

What did your t4 club joker cost on ferries and tolls in Europe, was it a lot more than Cali?

I was hoping there maybe a t6/t5.1 club joker hiding amongst us.

I didn't get as far as ferries, although I suspect you'll get charged quite a bit more.
The main difference is the warmth / quietness and shape of the upper bed. The assumption is that you'll sleep upstairs. That's generally very good, but it is coffin-like compared to the Cali's pop-top. It's fine for sleeping, but not for sitting up reading or more athletic pursuits.
Getting yourself down from the top bunk when a partner is sleeping isn't straight forward, as you have to execute a turn. Best to try one in the flesh (vwcampersales). How many on your trip if it happens?

I didn't get as far as ferries, although I suspect you'll get charged quite a bit more.
The main difference is the warmth / quietness and shape of the upper bed. The assumption is that you'll sleep upstairs. That's generally very good, but it is coffin-like compared to the Cali's pop-top. It's fine for sleeping, but not for sitting up reading or more athletic pursuits.
Getting yourself down from the top bunk when a partner is sleeping isn't straight forward, as you have to execute a turn. Best to try one in the flesh (vwcampersales). How many on your trip if it happens?
I had a look at a new one what was built to order for a customer (place in hayling island),i even climbed up on bed. Def a mini motorhome which you could live in for a long period.
At the moment my Cali is used for camping, working out of and a day to day car.
So would only switch if I decide on this long adventure.

Solo traveler with just the one woof these days, my daughter is all grown up and wouldn't be seen dead camping! And the ex is an ex as she use to explode everywhere in the Cali (nightmare) and we had 3 dogs!
Never found the turning up top differcult though, always fun.

Wanted to know how well the internals would stand up, furniture and floor looked like it could get damaged easierly.
I love driving the twisty roads in the alps/Pyrenees/applecross/hardknot etc, wanted to know how one would cope.

Just need to hunt down an owner, the guy buying that one I looked at was in his 80s there must be someone out there with one.

There was a member Paul1 that went from an SE to a Joker, but I've not seen him here for years. I think he offered his Joker for sale here before disappearing.

You speak of spending time in the alps - have you thought about insulation? Not just for your living area but for water tanks etc? My daughter spent 4 seasons in/near Morzine in a Mercedes Sprinter campervan, and before they went they spent some time and money making sure that neither the fresh nor foul water tanks would freeze - and that they were using the right kind of gas.

I have looked long and hard at the joker a couple of times.

The high top would kill it for me, so often I am limbo'ing under 2m barriers, The LWB also gives me reservations, same as I have about the Merc MP.

Wild camping I have never had a problem in the Cali, using all sorts of devices from thetford 335 to bog in a bag, although a couple of times I have had to be creative about emptying the 335, hunting down public loo's or a couple of times just begging good will off campsite owners.

I love the Joker and if U could resolve the dimensionally challenged bit would have one .... oh, I also need 4WD ..... especially wild camping, forgot that .... :(

I have looked long and hard at the joker a couple of times.

The high top would kill it for me, so often I am limbo'ing under 2m barriers, The LWB also gives me reservations, same as I have about the Merc MP.

Wild camping I have never had a problem in the Cali, using all sorts of devices from thetford 335 to bog in a bag, although a couple of times I have had to be creative about emptying the 335, hunting down public loo's or a couple of times just begging good will off campsite owners.

I love the Joker and if U could resolve the dimensionally challenged bit would have one .... oh, I also need 4WD ..... especially wild camping, forgot that .... :(
Yes I agree high top would be annoying, I've had a long wheel base van I converted years ago and never found the extra length a problem though
They also do the club joker as a 4motion too, very rare I've been told. Would probably have to have a new one built to my spec. Not sure if I can justify the costs as after a year living in it I would want to sell and get another Cali, as more practical for every day use.

Last edited:
Hi
Very nice but I'm not old enough to own a van with a fixed bed just yet, plus not a fan of French vehicles only the a fan of the country.

I maybe going for a rental property investment and sticking with Cali. Not sure I can justify the price of a 4motion club joker, just for a 70ltr water tank.
I can buy a lot of bog in a bags and baby wipes for the price different between a Cali and club joker!

Thanks for post though.

Just buy a T4 Westfalia Exclusive like @2into1 had, circa £20k. Great to live in for 6 months compared to a Cali and probably be worth the same as you paid for it when you sell.

Hi
Very nice but I'm not old enough to own a van with a fixed bed just yet, plus not a fan of French vehicles only the a fan of the country.

I maybe going for a rental property investment and sticking with Cali. Not sure I can justify the price of a 4motion club joker, just for a 70ltr water tank.
I can buy a lot of bog in a bags and baby wipes for the price different between a Cali and club joker!

Thanks for post though.

actually you could probably check into B&Bs everytime you need to do a number 2 and still be in the money after five years!

Back