Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Club shop v's Brandrup Carpets

DrJuanKerr

DrJuanKerr

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I'm about to drop the hammer on some new carpets. Unfortunately I have never seen Brandrup nor Club Shop carpet sets "in the flesh".

Can anyone tell me about the quality of either please?

Are the Brandrup ones significantly better to justify the 108% increased price?

The Deluxe Carpet Full Set for VW California T5 T6 (Various Versions) Black is £149.99
Brandrup Velour carpet for cabin, with snap fastener “Titanium Black” is £126.50
Brandrup Velour carpet for passenger compartment, “Titanium Black” is £185

So £311.50 v's £149.99
Thanks

Not a direct help, but I filmed this comparison between brandrup and another competitor QTM which may help. I don't know if QTM make the club ones... I think not and you are unlikely to be told who does.

Is it fair to say the Brandrup is significantly better? That’s what I feel from the clip.

Not a direct help, but I filmed this comparison between brandrup and another competitor QTM which may help. I don't know if QTM make the club ones... I think not and you are unlikely to be told who does.
I like that video :thumb
Its gonna be the Brandrup ones for me.
Thanks for doing it.

Is it fair to say the Brandrup is significantly better? That’s what I feel from the clip.
As the club shop sell both the brandrup and their own brand, perhaps they could make a similar video to mine, comparing both shop options, so buyers could decide for themselves which they think are better for them.

I bought the QTM carpets and am not impressed with the quality at all. I’ll give them another six months and I’ve now decided I’m going to buy some Brandrup ones. To be fair I have not seen the club ones though but I’m sure they are better than QTM quality.

I think I'll ask the shop if I can purchase both Bandrup and club carpets with a view to compare both and return those I don't like

I think I'll ask the shop if I can purchase both Bandrup and club carpets with a view to compare both and return those I don't like
Good idea. If enough people do that, it may encourage them to add a video like I suggested, to help buyers choose.

Well, that's not going to happen. I spoke with Shayne at the online shop. I asked if I could order both sets, decide on which I wanted and return the other. As I'd be responsible for the return delivery costs looks like I'll be trying another re-seller instead. Bit of a strange business plan if you ask me.

Typical mark up is 50%. The cost of return delivery wouldn't have been that much and wouldn't have bitten too much in to the profit margin

Well, that's not going to happen. I spoke with Shayne at the online shop. I asked if I could order both sets, decide on which I wanted and return the other. As I'd be responsible for the return delivery costs looks like I'll be trying another re-seller instead. Bit of a strange business plan if you ask me.

Typical mark up is 50%. The cost of return delivery wouldn't have been that much and wouldn't have bitten too much in to the profit margin
Sorry, don't see how it is a strange business plan. Perfectly reasonable to me. As you have no intension of purchasing both items, will have opened both items and returned one which does not meet your requirements the seller would have paid to action your card payment and again to action a refund on the returned item and you expect the seller to pay to return the goods as well.
Personally, I think it is you who have a strange concept of the retail trade. Just make your mind up as to which you want and buy it. I doubt if you will find many retailers who will meet your requirements.

I agree with the return postage element but I sympathise with Dr Juan as he has tried to make an informed choice and very little help has been forthcoming.
I do think the club shop could help its customers by better explaining the quality differences between the clubs own carpets and the brandrup ones.

Just drop them a call they always seem more than willing to explain the difference between products for me. Was on the phone 30 minutes today discussing mattress topper :thumb

Surly if you were undecided and really wanted to make sure you brought the right ones for you the cost of return postage is a small price to pay, whilst I’m not the biggest fan of the club shop I think they have been more than fair with you, it would be quite reasonable to apply a re-stocking charge on the return item imo

I do think the club shop could help its customers by better explaining the quality differences between the clubs own carpets and the brandrup ones.
I can´t see that happening and i don´t think its the job of the
club shop to do that although it would be good to test all of the
products available for the Cali on Club meets.

I don´t know if that happens.

Come to the open day or a club meet where you will see many of our products in the flesh both on our demo Cali's or customers vans who have already purchased.

Just to add we are in the process of creating videos of many of our products which should be available early 2019

Most online companies will expect you to pay return costs if the item is not faulty why should they cover the cost

I would disagree based entirely on my own experiences. Most online retailers I choose to buy from will have a free returns policy. In fact, I regularly choose online retailers based on whether they have a free returns policy or not. 70-80% of online transactions I make are based on this process.I am a prodigious online shopper in fact, I rarely purchase goods in store any more

I believe the shop has been helpful it has done everything that you would expect any retailer to do. I am not sure where this 50% mark up has come from I can assure you they have not.

A very good friend of mine is UK director of a huge outdoor retailer. They have a "bricks and clicks" business. Since offering free returns they have seen sales increase by as much as 20%. His experiences have told me many businesses have a 50% mark up

Would I pay a shoe shop £10 to £15 to try on shoes before buying them? I would not. Ergo, why should I pay the cost of returning goods every time.

My caveat above is "every time".

Now and again I might make a poor online purchase and decide to return it. In which case, if it is down to my own mistake I'll pay the return costs. As an example, I recently purchased a set of Bilstein B14 coil over springs. I need to return them because I undertook insufficient research before making the purchase. If I fit them they invalidate my warranty. I am therefore happy to pay return costs on that purchase. It was my own stupidity so I should pay return costs.

This situation however is different. To be able to make an informed decision I need to make a comparison due to insufficient descriptors on the web site. I would have purchased one set; whether the dearer ones or not.

Just to add we are in the process of creating videos of many of our products which should be available early 2019

This would be a massive help

Last edited:
well i can assure you that the shop does not have the luxury of a 50% mark up. it is a small business that is always busy if they started taking back free returns maybe their sales would increase but so would their wages bill dealing with the returns.

I would disagree based entirely on my own experiences. Most online retailers I choose to buy from will have a free returns policy. In fact, I regularly choose online retailers based on whether they have a free returns policy or not. 70-80% of online transactions I make are based on this process.I am a prodigious online shopper in fact, I rarely purchase goods in store any more

A very good friend of mine is UK director of a huge outdoor retailer. They have a "bricks and clicks" business. Since offering free returns they have seen sales increase by as much as 20%. His experiences have told me many businesses have a 50% mark up

Would I pay a shoe shop £10 to £15 to try on shoes before buying them? I would not. Ergo, why should I pay the cost of returning goods every time.

My caveat above is "every time".

Now and again I might make a poor online purchase and decide to return it. In which case, if it is down to my own mistake I'll pay the return costs. As an example, I recently purchased a set of Bilstein B14 coil over springs. I need to return them because I undertook insufficient research before making the purchase. If I fit them they invalidate my warranty. I am therefore happy to pay return costs on that purchase. It was my own stupidity so I should pay return costs.

This situation however is different. To be able to make an informed decision I need to make a comparison due to insufficient descriptors on the web site. I would have purchased one set; whether the dearer ones or not.

This would be a massive help
So you buy your shoes on line and return the ones you don't like? I normally visit the shop and try them on.
If a firm has a free returns policy then you the purchaser are paying for that within the purchase price so those that don't return the item are just adding a windfall to the sellers profit line.
Just the same as " Free Postage ", its already included in the price and very rarely is a rebate offered for the purchaser to collect.

If a firm has a free returns policy then you the purchaser are paying for that within the purchase price so those that don't return the item are just adding a windfall to the sellers profit line.
Just the same as " Free Postage ", its already included in the price and very rarely is a rebate offered for the purchaser to collect.

Not necessarily and it's a sweeping generalisation. If they are a "clicks only" eCommerce organisation there is no requirement for large premises to store products, [they can order direct from the supplier and get delivered to your door. They eCommerce business won't even see the goods]. They will have reduced utility bills and reduced staff wages etc. The list can go on. Comparing prices in a "bricks" only organisation with a "clicks" only one is not a fair test anyway due to the reduced overheads

All of this is a moot point. I have found an online retailer willing to send me two sets of carpets for me to compare against.

I'll create a comparison video like 2into1 has already kindly done

After reading numerous threads on this forum, I have no doubt I will choose the Brandrup ones anyway

Cheers

After reading numerous threads on this forum, I have no doubt I will choose the Brandrup ones anyway

Cheers

So why waste someone’s time ordering an item you intend to return? Sounds like have done plenty of research so it should be obvious the Brandrup carpets will be far superior quality and the price does not seem to be an issue to you.

Regarding the club shop, it is a relatively small set up with a small target market so I suspect free returns would place a huge burden on it, especially as most items they sell a quite bulky, and lead to price increases.

For the record, I have the club shop mats and find for the price they are very good, not perfect and I’m sure Brandrup ones would be far superior, but I couldn’t justify that amount of money on something my kids might be sick on or spill drinks over.

So why waste someone’s time ordering an item you intend to return? Sounds like have done plenty of research so it should be obvious the Brandrup carpets will be far superior quality and the price does not seem to be an issue to you.

Regarding the club shop, it is a relatively small set up with a small target market so I suspect free returns would place a huge burden on it, especially as most items they sell a quite bulky, and lead to price increases.

For the record, I have the club shop mats and find for the price they are very good, not perfect and I’m sure Brandrup ones would be far superior, but I couldn’t justify that amount of money on something my kids might be sick on or spill drinks over.

I could not agree more, I also run a small business with an online store and if I offered free returns for people to try items out I would go out of busines. Fair enough that big companies can offer this as they will just build it into their price, saying that even Amazon only offer free returns if an item is faulty, if you just don't like it you have to pay to send it back.