Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Clutch juddering

Rozzie50

Rozzie50

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
My Cali has just started vibrating and ‘buzzing’ near the clutch area. Been quoted £1300 for a whole new clutch and fearing system. Before I go ahead, has anyone had this issue before?

My Cali has just started vibrating and ‘buzzing’ near the clutch area. Been quoted £1300 for a whole new clutch and fearing system. Before I go ahead, has anyone had this issue before?
Clutches and Dual Mass Flywheels do wear/fail.But not knowing the year or milage of the vehicle a bit difficult to say.

It’s a 2012 Cali with 46,000 mileage. Had the cam belt changed last year.

You must or be a bad driver, or have some early wearing parts there.

When you come to a halt at a red light, do you keep the clutch pedal pressed? If so, that is not good, and your clutch will wear early.
Do you tow some heavy stuff behind the van? This will increase the wear.

I have a manual from 2010 with 145000km, without issues to the clutch, and use it as a daily driver, and sometimes abuse the clutch when trying to level up the ramps.

It’s a 2012 Cali with 46,000 mileage. Had the cam belt changed last year.
Very unusual at such a low total milage, but a low annual milage so I presume not used for prolonged periods. Possibly more common in such a scenario? After all it is a based on a commercial vehicle expected to be in use 365 days/ year.

most probably Dual Mass flywheel which have an unpredictable life span.

Usually change both clutch and flywheel together. lots of instances on the van forums. Cheap ones have been known to fail after only a few months so be cautious if going for Independent.

VW does give a 2 year warranty with their replacement work.

Thank you B J G. Taking it to an independent garage that deals regularly with VWs.

Will look into coat of VW dealership.

Thank you B J G. Taking it to an independent garage that deals regularly with VWs.

Will look into coat of VW dealership.
VW Dealerships have fixed price for some items, such as clutch. £640 + 20%vat, 2 yr warranty. However I’m not sure that includes the DMF.