Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coach charger reading 15.1v & Flashing

gingerrob

gingerrob

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Just got my Californa (94 pop top Coach) and eberything seems to work well but when i plug the mains in, after a while the control panel reads 15.1v and starts to flash.

From what i can gather this is not good. the van has two lead acid leisure batteries not gel so is this somehow linked?

have tried to search but not found anything..

Welcome on your first post , dealing with a problem ...can't help on your question but the T4 wizzards ( Dan , sidepod , ....) will pop up soon to try and help...
We would love to hear and see more on your Cali and your adventures!

Firstly ditch the lead acids. Replace with gel.

Pull out the control panel and locate the dip switches on the rear.
These need to be set according to number and type of battery fitted.

Dan will point you to the link for the correct switch settings.

Podster.

The advice you've received is good, as is your reason for posting.
I normally see 14 or less in those circumstances. It may be worth seeing if the experts mentioned can think if the 15+ is down just to your 'wrong' batteries, or if it indicates a fault with your charger? 2 Gels add up to serious money, and you don't want to fry them with a dodgy charger.
I've had a mid priced AGM (advanced glass mat) battery in mine (we only have one huge battery). It was much cheaper than the official Gels, and was bought in similar circumstances to yours.

In here you'll find the correct settings for the control panel.

http://westfaliat4.info/WestfaliaT4CentralElectronicUnit.pdf

cid:6BB3F950-5001-4C84-88F8-77B7557A4EC5

Sent from my iPad

okay so done some more digging...

The batteries are brand new sooennershvsjhjkhsg (!Spellit i dunno) gel jobbies hooray!

Have checked the charger sense wires and all is well 12v at the charger, so when i plug in it starts at around 13.6 and slowly climbs to 15.1 over about half an hour. If i turn the fridg on it drops again and starts climbing si beginning to think the charger is US...

I am not spending £500 so i can have a plug in the console so what are people using as alternatives??

And make sure you don't buy a charger that needs buttons pressing (selecting) each time it feels the mains. I have a modern cheapo one for winter use for the main battery, but you have to cycle through a few options by pressing buttons before it starts charging. Not much fun if it's hidden behind a panel.

Out of interest, what do VW charge for a Cali charger? (T5).

I know the gen Westy ones are pricey. Well worth it in my op.

Pod.
22 sleeps till next Euro-trip.

You don't have a solar panel as well do you?

No , not yet that's first on the list once the "niggles" are sorted :)

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

So got my charger from Fraron, quick delivery, so next question for gel batteries what voltage should I set? I have a choice of 13.2, 13.5 or 13.8??

Fraron is in, pretty straight forward, used some old ally plate to make a mounting panel that fits in the original mount then screwed the fraron to that.
Initial test sees 14v on the console and steady. When charger moves to absorption fan kicks in and is quite noisy but that's without the cupboard front back in.

Will be interesting to learn how audible it is with the cupboard back on. Is there any scope to stick some soundproofing on the cupboard door without risking fires / overheating?

Possibly but I guess the vents at the bottom are there for a reason. The way I see it is I can always knock it off at the RCD if its too noisy...

Possibly but I guess the vents at the bottom are there for a reason. The way I see it is I can always knock it off at the RCD if its too noisy...

.....rendering the project useless

Why leave it charging during the day??

Cause I can't afford a westy one at the moment!
Sure it'll be fine when all camped up anyway its not a noisier than the eber!

That's annoying that it's turned out to be a bit noisy, especially as it's advertised as a direct replacement.

However, my fridge has fans which are quite noisy when the cover is off, but not really noticeable when the cover is back on and the benchseat is in place, so hopefully it will dampen the noise.

Is it possible to mount it on some special sound deadening material? My mates a spark and tells me they use it all the time when installing ventilation equipment. I guess it would only work if screwing to the van makes the fan seem noisier than when it's held in your hand.

Really not that loud now the cupboard is all back in. The charger also cycles through float and absorption and the fan only kicks in when on absorption, now my batteries have a nice healthy charge the fan seems to be on less....

I've got the Fraron charger, I wouldn't let the fan sound put anyone off, it's not that noticeable.

Back