Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Code reader for T5 2009 2.5 Beach - ABS light

Elmo3

Elmo3

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi All

ABS light just come on. Stays on and traction control light comes on shortly after moving off. Hoping it’s just a dirty or faulty ABS sensor. Any recommendations for an inexpensive OBD code reader to point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Hi All

ABS light just come on. Stays on and traction control light comes on shortly after moving off. Hoping it’s just a dirty or faulty ABS sensor. Any recommendations for an inexpensive OBD code reader to point me in the right direction? Thanks!
I had the same thing last week. It WAS a faulty ABS brake sensor. I bought a Carista plug in. It worked faultlessly. I much prefer the Bluetooth type to the wired version you can do an endless amount with the Bluetooth type. Cost me £25 off eBay with one month full version app free. Just remember to cancel before the month is up otherwise it’s very expensive.But there are better apps than the Carista.

I had the same thing last week. It WAS a faulty ABS brake sensor. I bought a Carista plug in. It worked faultlessly. I much prefer the Bluetooth type to the wired version you can do an endless amount with the Bluetooth type. Cost me £25 off eBay with one month full version app free. Just remember to cancel before the month is up otherwise it’s very expensive.But there are better apps than the Carista.

Thanks, glad you got yours sorted! Unfortunately I don’t think the Carista will work on my T5, only works on a T5.1 or newer as I understand it.

Thanks, glad you got yours sorted! Unfortunately I don’t think the Carista will work on my T5, only works on a T5.1 or newer as I understand it.
Can’t understand why it wouldn’t work on the T5 as they are basically the same as the 5.1. Were did you hear they don’t work on the T5 ?

Can’t understand why it wouldn’t work on the T5 as they are basically the same as the 5.1. Were did you hear they don’t work on the T5 ?

From the list of supported vehicles on the Carista website. The engine is completely different (2.5, 5 cylinder).

2009 (January) registered so built 2008. BNZ engine, left hand drive.
I’m sorry I can’t help. But I’m sure someone will know on here. They normally work on most vehicles back to The 90s. Yours is hardly ancient. I would definitely go for one that’s Bluetooth. Good luck.

I'm sure it will work on the basics like airbag light.

If not and you fancy a trip over the bridge(depending on where you are), I can hook up my VCDS and do it for you.

I'm sure it will work on the basics like airbag light.

If not and you fancy a trip over the bridge(depending on where you are), I can hook up my VCDS and do it for you.
Thanks Loz, however I’m up in North Wales so a fair way away!
A friend has a couple of generic port readers so we‘ll try these first. I was thinking it would be a handy thing to have so was wondering if anyone has successfully used a basic model on a similar Cali.

The standard readers show no fault codes stored. Have ordered a left hand and right hand side sensor (they are interchangeable front and rear). Hopefully this will sort it. For parts, I can highly recommend Murray’s Direct. They have an ebay shop, are extremely helpful and great prices for OEM parts.

Hi I do not wish to hijack this thread but I do want to buy a Carista or similar, could you advise on which apps are better than the Carista.
Thanks

Hi I do not wish to hijack this thread but I do want to buy a Carista or similar, could you advise on which apps are better than the Carista.
Thanks
Yes try Carscanner, the app is great in its free form but if you buy the upgrade, I think it’s about £6 for life it will let you do almost anything you can think of. Carista is £10 a month or £65 for a year and IMO is not as good as Car Scanner.

The standard readers show no fault codes stored. Have ordered a left hand and right hand side sensor (they are interchangeable front and rear). Hopefully this will sort it. For parts, I can highly recommend Murray’s Direct. They have an ebay shop, are extremely helpful and great prices for OEM parts.
I first bought a wired type scanner, it was absolutely no use at all. Told me there was no faults found but I knew something wasn’t right.
Bought the Carista which is Bluetooth and it picked up two faults straight away. You can pay anything from £10 to £70+ for a sensor and basically they are the same. Ask yourself if VW parts are so good why would they fail after just 23000 miles.
I got mine for £19 from a local motor parts shop. Everything is now working again inc Stop/start. And NO more dash warning lights.

Yes try Carscanner, the app is great in its free form but if you buy the upgrade, I think it’s about £6 for life it will let you do almost anything you can think of. Carista is £10 a month or £65 for a year and IMO is not as good as Car Scanner.
Thanks @Ozzy Pete. The quick reply is much appreciated. A Carista and Carscanner is now on my list. Regards

In the absence of decent diagnostics, changed the 2 front sensors, ABS light went out when driving off. If it hadn’t, I’d have put the old front ones on the rear and crossed fingers!

In the absence of decent diagnostics, changed the 2 front sensors, ABS light went out when driving off. If it hadn’t, I’d have put the old front ones on the rear and crossed fingers!
Did you manage to clear the codes?

Did you manage to clear the codes?

There were no codes showing on the basic OBD reader. Didn’t need to do anything else, changed the sensors and once over a few mph the light went off.

There were no codes showing on the basic OBD reader. Didn’t need to do anything else, changed the sensors and once over a few mph the light went off.
Hopefully that’s sorted it for you.

I bought an ANCEL VD500 OBD II (£45 from Amazon) to analyse my ABS sensor issue (2014 T5). Detected that rear right and rear left sensors were faulty. Bought Febi-Bilstein replacement sensors from E-bay (RTGroup) for around £12 each (RHS Part Nos 23822 (Febi) / WHT 003 856 (VW) / LHS Part Nos 23824 (Febi) / WHT 003 857 (VW)). The sensors took around 15 - 20 mins per side to replace. It's a very straightforward task (if the wheels aren't corroded onto the hub spigot!!) .. Jack up vehicle.. Remove wheel.. Unscrew Sensor securing screw ( 5-mm Allen key).. carefully twist out sensor (by hand).. disconnect electrical connector.. Insert new Sensor.. secure with screw (just nip it up.. don't overtighten).. re-connect electrical connector.. re-install wheel (wheel nut Torque = 170 - 180 Nm)..

I was surprised at the price difference you can pay for the sensors.. EuroCar Parts want over £50 per sensor (Bosch).. and that's after discount.

Good luck..

I bought an ANCEL VD500 OBD II (£45 from Amazon) to analyse my ABS sensor issue (2014 T5). Detected that rear right and rear left sensors were faulty. Bought Febi-Bilstein replacement sensors from E-bay (RTGroup) for around £12 each (RHS Part Nos 23822 (Febi) / WHT 003 856 (VW) / LHS Part Nos 23824 (Febi) / WHT 003 857 (VW)). The sensors took around 15 - 20 mins per side to replace. It's a very straightforward task (if the wheels aren't corroded onto the hub spigot!!) .. Jack up vehicle.. Remove wheel.. Unscrew Sensor securing screw ( 5-mm Allen key).. carefully twist out sensor (by hand).. disconnect electrical connector.. Insert new Sensor.. secure with screw (just nip it up.. don't overtighten).. re-connect electrical connector.. re-install wheel (wheel nut Torque = 170 - 180 Nm)..

I was surprised at the price difference you can pay for the sensors.. EuroCar Parts want over £50 per sensor (Bosch).. and that's after discount.

Good luck..

Yes, a straightforward job but a decent trolley jack is essential. No way would I trust the wholly inadequate thing in the boot! The price differential on parts is huge, goodness knows what VW would have charged!

Back