Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coil Spring Broken!

DGM

DGM

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Vw just phoned to say we have a broken rear coil Spring, it's in for a service with them. Van was last driven a week ago, returning from mot at another garage.
Anyone had a spring brake on them?
Awaiting VW email with video.

I had one go on my Volvo. Went when I was driving off the drive with a loud bang and the front dropped on that side. Think it might depend on where in the spring it breakes as to how noticable it is. I did drive it to the garage for repair.

we just had a rear spring replaced at dealer, MOT failed the corrosion on spring ... surprised your MOT did not pick up anything...?

I had one go on my Volvo. Went when I was driving off the drive with a loud bang and the front dropped on that side. Think it might depend on where in the spring it breakes as to how noticable it is. I did drive it to the garage for repair.
Cheers Dave
Video they sent looks like it's pointing to the top of the spring. Can't see a break but can see a rusty point. Going in tomorrow for a look.
Initial thought was thar vw were at it now thinking mot garage are incompetent.

This is surprising but you can actually pass an MOT with a cracked spring, depending on where the crack is.

Mmmmm. Would that be right at the very ends?
Correct.
" if a spring is broken at an extreme end (where it locates on the spring mount) it will not necessarily fail the test. The spring should only be rejected if its function is impaired, or if the spring ends do not locate correctly, without assistance, when the vehicle is lowered into normal running position after being jacked. "
http://www.kilensprings.com/news/_news_detail.asp?nyhetsid=44

Correct.
" if a spring is broken at an extreme end (where it locates on the spring mount) it will not necessarily fail the test. The spring should only be rejected if its function is impaired, or if the spring ends do not locate correctly, without assistance, when the vehicle is lowered into normal running position after being jacked. "
http://www.kilensprings.com/news/_news_detail.asp?nyhetsid=44
Cheers.
I'm going down to have a look first thing tomorrow. If it's just a few millimetres of the end I will probably not replace straight away.

Yes happened to me on our last Cali. I didn't even know about it and it had passed its mot. It was in for service on a while you wait, but I had to leave it there and get the train home as they didn't ha e one in stock.

It's quite common apparently.

Yes happened to me on our last Cali. I didn't even know about it and it had passed its mot. It was in for service on a while you wait, but I had to leave it there and get the train home as they didn't ha e one in stock.

It's quite common apparently.
Cheers.

Ours 2013 failed with a cracked spring in November, garage is owned by my son and he says not uncommon on certain cars (mondeo mentioned) and critical of materials used by most manufacturers.

Glad it has been sorted.

• Informative
Reactions: DGM
Had one break on a Mk5 Golf within 500m of the drive. A loud clunk and then rubbing upon turning corners.

Coil on rear near side broken twice in seven years of owning my California. On both occasions only spotted when vehicle went in for a service and MOT.

I have decided to drive only in an anti clockwise direction to avoid any further failures!

Coil on rear near side broken twice in seven years of owning my California. On both occasions only spotted when vehicle went in for a service and MOT.

I have decided to drive only in an anti clockwise direction to avoid any further failures!
Sounds like a pita but at least it's an easy fix.
I might have a look into aftermarket ones in the new year.
Cheers

Had a broken one on my T5, didn’t notice - picked up on MOT.

Hi

I've just had my springs changed for the lowering kit version and the garage gave me the original ones back from my t6 2016 Cali

I was just going to keep them if I ever wanted to swap them back, however if your in need and happily sell them if it helps

Cheers

two broken (one each) on a 1997 Impreza and 2007 BMW 3 series coupe in same week back in very cold Winter of 2010, wondered if cold contributed..

Had a number of broken springs on various cars over the years. As others say it’s a pain but quite common.

My 2014 Cali with 60,000 just reported as having two broken springs during service inspection, both at the top, cost for repair £376, roads near us are a mess.

Very common for VW springs to break on T5's, normally the rears. My friend had a T5 kombi for about 10 years and seemed to be replacing one every year. He bought H&R springs in the end and had no further issues - not the cheapest but very good quality.

Our Cali has also just broken a rear spring.