Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coil Springs Failing

G

gatvol

Hi.

My 2011 Cali has done 42,000 miles. Last year it failed its MOT as a rear spring had failed. The van has never been messed about with or lowered. The bulk of its miles are done on motorways on our trips to Spain and Portugal.

I am quite a careful driver. I slow right down for speed bumps and potholes. I was stunned that this could happen to such a new vehicle. I have a 20 year old Volvo estate with 160,000 miles on it. I have a 25 year old merc sl with 40,000 miles on it. No spring has ever failed on either vehicle

A front spring has now just failed on the California. As has my sense of humour

I always felt that the California had rather "crashy" suspension. Is this spring breakage a common issue with Californias please ? Is there a better replacement spring that folk are using, or are guys just putting Volkswagen ones back in. Are folk upgrading the shocks to better protect the springs ?

Thank you

Few years back I took my then 2010 Cali in for service and they told me one of the rear springs was broke; seems it’s quite common. Never heard of a front one going before though.

Hi.

My 2011 Cali has done 42,000 miles. Last year it failed its MOT as a rear spring had failed. The van has never been messed about with or lowered. The bulk of its miles are done on motorways on our trips to Spain and Portugal.

I am quite a careful driver. I slow right down for speed bumps and potholes. I was stunned that this could happen to such a new vehicle. I have a 20 year old Volvo estate with 160,000 miles on it. I have a 25 year old merc sl with 40,000 miles on it. No spring has ever failed on either vehicle

A front spring has now just failed on the California. As has my sense of humour

I always felt that the California had rather "crashy" suspension. Is this spring breakage a common issue with Californias please ? Is there a better replacement spring that folk are using, or are guys just putting Volkswagen ones back in. Are folk upgrading the shocks to better protect the springs ?

Thank you
Are All the vehicles used regularly throughout the year? Or is the California laid up over winter?

My old Volvo is the daily drive and workhorse. The Merc is a summer only show pony. The Cali is used at least once a week throughout the year as it is effectively our second car.

I love the Cali in the snow as a road closures and the threat of being stranded feels radically different when you can sit back, stretch your legs out and relax. Worst case is a night in a campervan with a night heater, boil snow using gas, keep your phone or ipad charged on the 12v .....

Broken road springs are very common these days. The bad state of the road system is probably part of the reason.

Nothing unusual, I've just changed one on the back of my T5 at 46,000 miles. I don't know if the T5s & T6s are as prone to broken springs as T4s but they were a regular thing. I've always blamed our traffic calming measures and rural roads.
The new one for the T5 was £102.58 from TPS. Fitting was a DIY job although having to disconnect both shock absorbers and needing to have an extra strong arm to push the offending trailing arm down far enough to fit the new spring.

Rod

I’ve had T32 rear springs fitted as precaution as I’d read about quite a few rear spring failures . We’re now ready for 7 week Northern Lights Trip in September . I also tow trailers and thought rear was too soft . This has absolutely transformed the Cali even when not towing . Handles much better . The van is a 4 motion with upgraded anti roll bar . Have started to use van with back seat all the way back ( stop removed ) and it’s still much better than it was before . Makes galley area twice as big ! We sleep upstairs . Kept original shock absorbers but will probably upgrade for even more improvement.

Mine was already a T32 but a LWB, three grey stripes on the springs.

Rod

Mine was already a T32 but a LWB, three grey stripes on the springs.

Rod
Wow ! Mine are 3 grey stripes but SWB . Never had to change a spring in 25 years of Landrovers

Yes it’s very common in all vehicles and it’s all down to our poor road condition, a broken spring can go undiagnosed for weeks and months and even slip the net in MOTs depending on where the break is

I would say it’s a blessing. The wife won’t say no to lowered springs, as they need to be replaced anyway ;)

My Cali is a 2011 ex Showroom model that first went on the road in early 2012. It is a 180 and has now dome 7 summers and 60,000 miles. I have just been informed that I need the 3rd set of rear springs. I am as surprised as you. Surely this can't be normal?

My Cali is a 2011 ex Showroom model that first went on the road in early 2012. It is a 180 and has now dome 7 summers and 60,000 miles. I have just been informed that I need the 3rd set of rear springs. I am as surprised as you. Surely this can't be normal?
IMO. Fitting a pair of decent uprated shocks to the rear will increase the life of the springs and give a noticeably better ride. Std shocks at your mileage will be woefully inadequate and cause the springs to be worked/compressed way more than they need to be.

Replaced quiet a few springs mainly fronts on various vehicles over the last few years, we blame the speed bumps in our village, never had a Landy one break though, not had the cali long enough to test them...

Speed bumps are the most usual cause of rear spring failure. The only saving grace is the ease of fitting new ones tempered by the price!

I have two full sets of standard springs, as new in the box that the -30mm lowered ones came in. these were changed at the dealers when both vans were new. both Calis. One a 5.1 one a 6 I assume the same.

Any one interested, keep in the garage if you break one or more.

Offers, could deliver depends on location I work nationally.

Mine were replaced by VB Air suspension, the dealer kept the original springs, otherwise I'd be happy to donate them. Might be an idea to contact a VB Air Suspension dealer in your area to get a good deal and they can also mount them.

Apparently another reason is that nowadays the ends of the springs are not flattened as they used to be. Just another cost cutting excercise. This means there is only a point contact between the end of the spring and the bearer. This leads to higher stress in part if the spring and then causes it to fail prematurely. I'm told Japanese cars mainly have the spring ends still flattened so the problem isn't as prevalent.

IMO. Fitting a pair of decent uprated shocks to the rear will increase the life of the springs and give a noticeably better ride. Std shocks at your mileage will be woefully inadequate and cause the springs to be worked/compressed way more than they need to be.

Many thanks for that. I'm just about to go onto my 4th set of rear springs. That's 20,000 miles per set which means I am changing springs as often as tyres. Can't be right, can it? Should I ask the VW dealer to fit uprated shockers? or get someone else to do it? IMO? I'm based in Aberdeen so not sure what is available.

Many thanks for that. I'm just about to go onto my 4th set of rear springs. That's 20,000 miles per set which means I am changing springs as often as tyres. Can't be right, can it? Should I ask the VW dealer to fit uprated shockers? or get someone else to do it? IMO? I'm based in Aberdeen so not sure what is available.
Not right for sure. I'd order some online and get an independent to fit them. Only takes about 20 mins to fit new rear shocks. The Koni's sound good. The Sachs 314-725 + ~£120 a pair are a popular and very well regarded upgrade from STD. Could also go for Bilstein B6 + ~£290 a pair though some interesting debate on one of the German forums as to which is better. Who ever fits them it is vital that they only tighten the shock bolts once the full weight is back on the suspension.

Koni are excellent units plus you can adjust them if you want to set your personal stiffness/softness of damping. Fit yourself or any garage or DIY friend can.
Note sold singly so you need 2 for a set. There are other suppliers.

https://www.larkspeed.com/shopper/i...-4Motion-Koni-Heavy-Track-Rear-Shock-Absorber
Have wanted to try these Koni shocks. Do you have these fitted to your Cali? If so do you have to remove them to adjust the rebound or can it be done fitted?