Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cold draft coming in around edge of kitchen doors.

Hannick

Hannick

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We’ve noticed this before but I hadn’t thought to mention it here until this morning, but does anyone else have a draft coming into the van from around the kitchen doors?

If we leave a kitchen cupboard door slightly ajar you can feel cold air coming into the van at this time of year.

It’s not a problem as of course you just keep the doors closed and ventilation in there can’t be a bad thing, but nonetheless I was wondering where it was coming from.

2010 California SE.

I would think it is just the cold air from the non insulated metal van side dropping down to the inside floor. Not a draught us such just normal cold denser air going below the living space warm air.
I can think of ways to let the cold out to an area in the rear where you wouldn't feel the flow so much but that just moves the air flow.

Yes that’s a thought. I’ll leave the doors ajar this evening and see if it stops after a while.

I doubt if it would stop as its a constant cycle. Like a convection heater drawing cold in the bottom and hot out the top.

Yes that’s a thought. I’ll leave the doors ajar this evening and see if it stops after a while.
The California does not have insulation applied to the body panels, just the trim panels and hence the Parking Heater. The rear of the kitchen and Wardrobe cupboards are just body panels. Thats where you will get condensation forming if the windscreen and other windows have insulated covers and inadequate vehicle ventilation.

The water tanks are in there and they get cold too

Back