Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Collecting my Cali

Saesneg Shaun

Saesneg Shaun

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
So my van is due to arrive at the dealers tomorrow. I realise covid is going to greatly affect the handover process but I might have another problem.

I'm in Wales but the dealer is in England. Its not clear to me whether I am able to travel to England for the purpose of collecting a vehicle?
I also intended to one way hire a car for the trip and not sure if I can do that either?

Welsh rules appear to be travel to England for essential reasons only. It is essential to me!
Anybody up to speed with the actual rules for the motor trade?

So my van is due to arrive at the dealers tomorrow. I realise covid is going to greatly affect the handover process but I might have another problem.

I'm in Wales but the dealer is in England. Its not clear to me whether I am able to travel to England for the purpose of collecting a vehicle?
I also intended to one way hire a car for the trip and not sure if I can do that either?

Welsh rules appear to be travel to England for essential reasons only. It is essential to me!
Anybody up to speed with the actual rules for the motor trade?
I’m not in the motor trade but if this is your only vehicle, then I would call it an essential journey. Good luck.

I would agree with @California4x4 . So long as you have your mask, don’t make unnecesaary stops on the way there or back, do all the checks of the vehicle on your own (which actually could be beneficial), I think you should be within guidelines.

Print out details of your collection arrangement, this should include the date and time of collection.

If stopped by police, then show this to them.

In my experience the Welsh Police are more likely to stop you than the English Police.

I reckon I'll chance it. I don't fancy it hanging around the dealers until lockdown is over.
One of you lot might get a test drive in :)
The Travel ban is while England is in Lockdown. So travel after December 2nd shouldn’t be a problem.

Judging by the number of cars on the M25 today no one else is taking any notice of any sort of lockdown & you would be very unlucky to get stopped.

Before anyone jumps in, I was travelling to do a survey on a historic building, unfortunately thats a bit difficult to do from home.

Plenty on here seem to think it essential, and that other views should be simply ignored. And that follow up trips to sort out minor niggles are essential too. Mine is one of the other views, but it‘s just my view. It shouldn’t be down to whether the police stop you or not, just do whatever you think is right. And whenever you get it, enjoy it.

I collect my new van tomorrow from Liverpool. They are open as a business to serve their customers and so I believe I am behaving totally within the regulations to go and collect my new Cali. If I can't, why would they be open?

Plenty on here seem to think it essential, and that other views should be simply ignored. And that follow up trips to sort out minor niggles are essential too. Mine is one of the other views, but it‘s just my view. It shouldn’t be down to whether the police stop you or not, just do whatever you think is right. And whenever you get it, enjoy it.
That’s a tad unfair. I have read and re-read several times the rules for my area before ordering my van a couple of weeks ago and for other reasons, having workmen in my house today - knowing they were coming from tier 3 to tier 2 to do the work.
I was not, as you imply, waiting on being stopped by police, as had read that this was within the rules / guidelines / law.
I am also very keen that the rules / guidelines / law be adhered to. And any advice I have given or perceived to have given in this forum, I hope has been in line with that intention.

That’s a tad unfair. I have read and re-read several times the rules for my area before ordering my van a couple of weeks ago and for other reasons, having workmen in my house today - knowing they were coming from tier 3 to tier 2 to do the work.
I was not, as you imply, waiting on being stopped by police, as had read that this was within the rules / guidelines / law.
I am also very keen that the rules / guidelines / law be adhered to. And any advice I have given or perceived to have given in this forum, I hope has been in line with that intention.
I'm with you. The dealer is open for business. So, I assume business is in line with regulations.

I'm with you. The dealer is open for business. So, I assume business is in line with regulations.
Despite my dealer being open (and my trader today) I still went online to check gov guidelines to make sure it was ok.
Hence my above comment. I didn’t want to assume it was ok. I think @Kernowboy is correct to be concerned that many people are breaking the rules / guidelines / law, but also needs to appreciate that many of us are fastidiously making sure we are not.

Indeed, but it's not your area that is relevant.The OP raises the question about crossing the border from Wales to England, where the rules / guidelines / law state:
There will be no restrictions on travel within Wales from 9 November but the new national measures, which will come into force will mean travel will only be possible across the Wales-England border with a reasonable excuse.
Examples of a reasonable excuse include travelling for work, education, a medical appointment, legal requirement or compassionate grounds.
Thus the OP doesn't have absolute clarity, crossing the border to collect a vehicle is not specifically allowed whether the dealer is open or not, and thus it is down to a view on whether it constitutes a reasonable excuse. I have my view, you and others will have differing views; who knows which is right. As I said, what is important is that the OP does what they believe to be right.

Rishi could do with the £10k you are going to be paying in VAT...that is definitely "essential".

Collecting ours on Friday from Preston with one way car hire. As far as I’m aware it is classed as ’essential travel’
But that is within England I presume. Different rules in Wales.

Thanks everybody for the replies and your opinions. The dealer has precautions in place so I'm going to risk the wrath of Drakeford and collect it Tues.

Thanks everybody for the replies and your opinions. The dealer has precautions in place so I'm going to risk the wrath of Drakeford and collect it Tues.
Decision made. I hope the whole new vehicle buying experience is still fun. Good luck!

Some photos of new van when we got back to Yorkshire from VW Centre Liverpool. Andy in Liverpool did a very thorough and helpful handover. And for those of you of an inquisitive nature the registration number is my career in a number plate!

Yesterday I went down to TTW Installations in Nottingham to have the BlackVue fitted. Another easy and friendly experience with lots of effort to ensure social distancing. Just been on their website and a photo our van has already appeared. Great installation, not a sight of a cable anywhere. They have installed the rear camera at the bottom of the window, so that any future bike rack wouldn't impinge the camera or get in the way of the rear blind.

IMG_1616.jpeg

IMG_1614.jpeg

IMG_1617.jpeg

Some photos of new van when we got back to Yorkshire from VW Centre Liverpool. Andy in Liverpool did a very thorough and helpful handover. And for those of you of an inquisitive nature the registration number is my career in a number plate!

Yesterday I went down to TTW Installations in Nottingham to have the BlackVue fitted. Another easy and friendly experience with lots of effort to ensure social distancing. Just been on their website and a photo our van has already appeared. Great installation, not a sight of a cable anywhere. They have installed the rear camera at the bottom of the window, so that any future bike rack wouldn't impinge the camera or get in the way of the rear blind.

View attachment 70075

View attachment 70076

View attachment 70077
Looks great :)

View attachment 70075

View attachment 70076

View attachment 70077By V
Congrats on the new arrival! Looks fab - glad I ordered the same two tone colours .

View attachment 70075

View attachment 70076

View attachment 70077
Which Blackvue did you go for Alan? I had the DR750-2CH LTE put in mine and after tweaking various settings it’s really good (love the live view feature). My rear camera is st the top of the screen though because my bike rack will be mounted on the towbar.

Back