Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Comfort bed and Laminated Glass

CampervanTime

CampervanTime

VIP Member
Vehicle
Westy Sven Hedin
Hi everyone

I'm just looking through the options on a new Cali (ocean, if it makes a difference) and have a couple of questions;

1) The option to have a 'Bed Extension with Comfort Sleeping Mat' + £258 - this is obviously a nice mat like in the brochure photos. If you don't buy this and just have the standard 'sleeping mat', is that just for the multiflex board or does it roll out to cover the whole bed area and is just thinner/not as comfy?

2) The option for laminated glass in the cab + £456 - this seems to add rear tinted windows too, but does this option loose you anything or is it even worth it? I would order rear tinted glass anyway (£318), so for not much more money this seems like a no-brainer to me instead unless there is good cause not to?

Thanks

Hi. It just covers the multiflex board. There are plenty of after market options if you change your mind. If it helps we have recently ordered our second cali and did go for the comfort option.

Can't help with the glass option. We have gone with just tinting option on both orders and not had an issue.

Hope that helps a bit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks - got it now re the mat.

After a bit of searching on here re the glass - seems like a total nightmare to understand what you actually get with that option!!

We like things quiet and want the rear (b pillar back) tinted dark (factory tint) so it sounds like the laminated option would do this, but i'm still not sure if the rear tint is the same as the option to just tint the rears?!?

Understand the spec option on California is a black art for sure and the changes in this year's build (MY18) seem more confusing than most.

If you plan to have the roof up at night this has far more of an impact on noise than the glass at floor level. Also we use an thermal external cover for the front windscreen which does help with noise.

Good point re the roof, hadn't thought about that actually.

Looks like just dark rear window option is the way to go on this one then

Thanks - got it now re the mat.

After a bit of searching on here re the glass - seems like a total nightmare to understand what you actually get with that option!!

We like things quiet and want the rear (b pillar back) tinted dark (factory tint) so it sounds like the laminated option would do this, but i'm still not sure if the rear tint is the same as the option to just tint the rears?!?
Edited and deleted as thought post was in relation to black B pillar but wasn't.

Mike

Last edited:
My understanding of the laminated glass is that it makes the vehicle more difficult to break into by smashing the windows and doesn't do much for the sound insulation-its more of a security feature.The point was also raised that if it made the van more difficult to break into it would also make it more difficult to break out of should there be an emergency requiring you to do so....

Ooo, interesting point re escape in an emergency. It's all sounding like it will be rear privacy glass option - although in the car yesterday my wife said she wasn't sure about that and might not want the blacked-out look?! :confused:

You should see pictures of Cali with and without it. I think most you see do and they look a little strange without. The factory fit tint is more subtle than most. I have a Touran with factory tint as well and it is a lot darker than the Cali

From what I can gather the green heat insulating glass that is/was listed as an extra on the Ocean is standard.The privacy glass darkens the windows but it's not blacked out.

Hi everyone

I'm just looking through the options on a new Cali (ocean, if it makes a difference) and have a couple of questions;

1) The option to have a 'Bed Extension with Comfort Sleeping Mat' + £258 - this is obviously a nice mat like in the brochure photos. If you don't buy this and just have the standard 'sleeping mat', is that just for the multiflex board or does it roll out to cover the whole bed area and is just thinner/not as comfy?

2) The option for laminated glass in the cab + £456 - this seems to add rear tinted windows too, but does this option loose you anything or is it even worth it? I would order rear tinted glass anyway (£318), so for not much more money this seems like a no-brainer to me instead unless there is good cause not to?

Thanks

Re point 2, there was a recent post on here (which I cut'n'paste into one of my posts) about an after market extra film tint that can be ordered online and DIY applied. If you end up wanting it darker than whatever you get, that may be a good solution. The slight downside is that it makes it darker when you look out, but it was noticeably darker (and thus much harder to see in) on the photos posted.

Cheers
Ian

Hi everyone

Thanks

Check this thread:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...ing-but-heres-a-£31-99-fix.18980/#post-221054

Back