Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Comfort Insurance - Theft excluded where tracker not fitted

G

GreenGrass

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi all,

As my first post it seems appropriate to say hello and to thank all involved in running it and to all of the contributors who've shared their knowledge. This site is incredible. I've learnt more from reading here than I'd have believed possible. Owning a Cali is seriously cool, even if I'm not!

I have to make it brief just now but on the off chance it helps anyone to know what I've just learnt here it is.

A quick check through my insurance documents just now, with renewal approaching in a month or so, I see a clause that I wasn't aware of. Sure, we could discuss how the onus is on me to check these things but I didn't... Clause shown below:

Endorsement 296 - Security - Requirement for an Approved Tracking Device
We will not pay under Section 1 of the policy for loss of or damage to vehicle registration number C****** by theft unless at the time of the theft an Aviva approved tracking system is fitted and in operation and any subscription to the system operator has been maintained.

On the face of it I've not been insured for theft during the previous 11 months of Cali ownership - I don't have a tracker fitted.

Do you have this clause?
Do you have a tracker fitted?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not have that endorsement on my policy. I would be on the phone right now! Good luck.

Hi all,

As my first post it seems appropriate to say hello and to thank all involved in running it and to all of the contributors who've shared their knowledge. This site is incredible. I've learnt more from reading here than I'd have believed possible. Owning a Cali is seriously cool, even if I'm not!

I have to make it brief just now but on the off chance it helps anyone to know what I've just learnt here it is.

A quick check through my insurance documents just now, with renewal approaching in a month or so, I see a clause that I wasn't aware of. Sure, we could discuss how the onus is on me to check these things but I didn't... Clause shown below:

We will not pay under Section 1 of the policy for loss of or damage to vehicle registration number CY16RZU by theft unless at the time of the theft an Aviva approved tracking system is fitted and in operation and any subscription to the system operator has been maintained.

On the face of it I've not been insured for theft during the previous 11 months of Cali ownership - I don't have a tracker fitted.

Do you have this clause?

Cheers

@GreenGrass , just went and checked out all documents available on my Comfort portal and the only place where the word "endorsement" appears is where it mentions points on the license. Below are the documents that I have reviewed on my policy.

Which document of yours had this wording?
1610650080357.png
1610650100989.png

Edit: found it.
1610650754637.png

Last edited:
Just checked mine and it has something slightly different:

Endorsement 198 - Vehicle Security
We will not pay for any loss or damage under Section l to the vehicle caused by theft or attempted theft unless one of our approved vehicle security products is fitted and armed.
Subject otherwise to the terms and conditions shown in the Policy.

Just checked mine and it has something slightly different:

Endorsement 198 - Vehicle Security
We will not pay for any loss or damage under Section l to the vehicle caused by theft or attempted theft unless one of our approved vehicle security products is fitted and armed.
Subject otherwise to the terms and conditions shown in the Policy.
Mine has the same, 198.

Is everyone calling up comfort now? .... then I shall wait until tomorrow morning. :D :bananadance2 Mine does have a tracker ... but as @Mr T says - not sure what "Comfort Approved" means.

Edit: emailed them and have enquired about the "approved" tracker. Have sent them details of the tracker that I have installed. Good to have things in writing.

Last edited:
Hi all,

We will not pay under Section 1 of the policy for loss of or damage to vehicle registration number CY16RZU by theft unless at the time of the theft an Aviva approved tracking system is fitted and in operation and any subscription to the system operator has been maintained.

Do you have this clause?

Cheers
Will check but it’s not what they told me when i took out my policy.

I’ve been with Comfort coming up 8 years and I remember them asking me if I have the factory fitted Thatcham cat one alarm fitted
no mention of a tracking system!
I will bring it up before renewal (not one for reading the small print)

Alan

I posted this earlier on another thread but it's probably more relevant here...

I have just (today) taken out insurance with Comfort and once I had managed to talk with someone (initial quote on line) and confirmed it was a California they only needed to confirm that it had the class 1 Thatcham immobiliser fitted. My policy document makes no reference to a tracking device. By the way, the quote dropped like a stone after a chat and some negotiation, and a discount from this forum!

May be postcode related. Postcode has a higher risk imposed.

I also looked to add my kids to my policy last year. The requirement for a tracker was imposed because of their ages.

I'm not with Comfort.

I just renewed with comfort at the weekend and all they asked was if I had a Thatcham approved alarm/immobiliser. No questions at all about a tracker

I am awaiting delivery of my new Cali ( god knows when) but I expect insurers will ask for a tracker because of value. I currently have a X5 and when new it had to have one fitted as it is value was over £50k. A subscription for 3 years was included on the fitted price but recently it came up for renewal and the tracking company wanted £500 to renew for another 3 years so I checked with my insurers and as the value of the vehicle (that I could claim if it was stolen) is now below £50k I don’t need one.

It is - I checked. No tracker required.

But the VW Cali comes with Cat1 alarm/immobiliser so I would say that is one of their approved products. I wouldn't worry.

Agree. However in the cases where it specifically mentions in an endorsement the requirement for a "tracker" it is always good to get it in writing. When I went in for the insurance the standard question on the Thatcham Cat 1 tracker etc was asked, but this endorsement is what I missed out.

Thank to @GreenGrass for noting and bringing this up.

An update - received the below note from Comfort

Thank you for your email.
I can confirm that endorsement 198 refers to the Cat 1 alarm fitted to your vehicle.
The tracker fitted to your vehicle is a VTS tracker which is one of our approved security products.
Your tracker will be added onto your policy documents and please could you send a copy of your subscription or certificate for your tracker to keep on file.

So all good on that. :thumb

Hi all,

We will not pay under Section 1 of the policy for loss of or damage to vehicle registration number ******* by theft unless at the time of the theft an Aviva approved tracking system is fitted and in operation and any subscription to the system operator has been maintained.

Do you have this clause?

Cheers
UPDATE

I made a telephone call to Comfort this morning asking for removal of Endorsement 296 from my Policy. Quickly and pleasantly dealt with - my Policy has been amended - this endorsement removed. Factory fitted alarm required as per usual.

Comfort did say my Policy would stand for theft of vehicle with the Endorsement 296 as listed given the fact no Tracker fitted at time of theft. I'm far more comfortable having it in writing.

Many of us with Comfort were not required to fit a tracker as long as a Thatcham Cat.1 alarm/immobiliser is fitted (which it is as standard on a Cali).

Many of us with Comfort were not required to fit a tracker as long as a Thatcham Cat.1 alarm/immobiliser is fitted (which it is as standard on a Cali).
And no clause in my contract re’ a tracker.