Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Comfort mattress or alternative ?

jillyfish

jillyfish

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
reading that lots of people find the comfort mattress either; too soft, too hard, not used, not enough requiring additional topper etc. not sure whether to order it initially or source an alternative. would like to find the best alternative (not too soft or too hard.) and dont really want to buy this item and then find another topper is needed. please share if you think the comfort mattress is the best option. with thanks jill

reading that lots of people find the comfort mattress either; too soft, too hard, not used, not enough requiring additional topper etc. not sure whether to order it initially or source an alternative. would like to find the best alternative (not too soft or too hard.) and dont really want to buy this item and then find another topper is needed. please share if you think the comfort mattress is the best option. with thanks jill
Everyone has a different idea of comfort....Some like a hard mattress some like a soft mattress....We have the comfort mattress that came as a package with the van... it packs away nicely in the back and at least with that you don’t have to put up with all the lumpy bits on the back seat.... We mainly sleep up top and have only slept down a couple of times.....We personally just find sleeping down it’s not wide enough for us, buts that’s our own personal opinion......

Comfort mattress takes up loads of space and I found that I needed another topper too.
Now try to sleep up top but if have to sleep downstairs then use a self inflating mat with topper over. That way you put the back shelf on the boot on the highest setting so more room for storage.,

thanks. Since putting the question, I have done bit more research and tried to get my head round references to variety of mattress/mattress toppers and their uses. from what can see, sleeping up top in the roof is a no no in bad or cold weather. It may be that we choose to sleep separately, with me down and Steve up, as I am quite restless sometimes. Anyway, it seems to me that options are : the Duvalay mattress (5cm gold) possibly with a topper as well; the Zonesleep Ultra, or the Brandrup... The brandrup looks very bulky to store in the photos. pretty sure we will remove the comfort mat option from our order and choose one of these three. I would appreciate experiences of these please. ta

I didn’t choose to order a comfort mattress for our Cali. We got a zone sleep instead, but found it too firm for us (and I like a firm bed). I have now bought a memory foam topper from Ebay, which I like (not used in hot weather; many say they get “sweaty” in warm conditions). Prefer to sleep upstairs (have zone sleep to replace roof mattress and iso top)

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

Does anyone know the product code for Comfort mattress ( lower bed) for a California Ocean. We bought our Cali last year it only came with ‘one section’ on top of boot shelf and we have been advised that there could be 3 product code variations ... advise welcome .

Does anyone know the product code for Comfort mattress ( lower bed) for a California Ocean. We bought our Cali last year it only came with ‘one section’ on top of boot shelf and we have been advised that there could be 3 product code variations ... advise welcome .
Get yourself a Sea to Summit self inflating mattress instead.

I have seen regulary up for sale either on here ore bay, most brand new still in the bag. Ask on here you may get lucky.

Get yourself a Sea to Summit self inflating mattress instead.

I know where you’re coming from and we actually have Thermarest beds from previous camping might give it a try

I know where you’re coming from and we actually have Thermarest beds from previous camping might give it a try

Vango also do an Ocean California specific version, for downstairs, at a very good price (£70ish I think) which we bought this spring after similar searching to replace the - oh so bulky, but not comfortable for us - original. I’ve scripted a favourable review now we’ve finally slept on it - will post said review asap

Everyone has a different idea of comfort....Some like a hard mattress some like a soft mattress....We have the comfort mattress that came as a package with the van... it packs away nicely in the back and at least with that you don’t have to put up with all the lumpy bits on the back seat.... We mainly sleep up top and have only slept down a couple of times.....We personally just find sleeping down it’s not wide enough for us, buts that’s our own personal opinion......
We prefer sleeping up top too, however find the vw matress v uncomfortable, do you have a topper too or different matress entirely up top? Do you sleep up top in the winter too? Are you warm enough?

We do have a topper, wrapped in a single duvet cover and all our bedding is stored in a dive bag (think a zip up duffel bag) compressed with a couple of compression straps when on the move. We do sleep upstairs in winter, with a Brandrup pop top liner (outrageously expensive, really painful to fit, but after all that it’s totally forgotten about) Definitely on our recommend list almost 7 years later. Hope you find things that work for you before spending too much on eventual shed toot

Back