Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Comfortz Awning room - My review!

JAPRACER

JAPRACER

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
On my old T25 I purchased a Fiamma 45s awning with the full on privacy room at an extortionate amount of money but my philosophy is you pay your money you get what you pay for.
I didnt want to split it from the old van and I dont think it would have fitted the new bus anyway so decided to give the Comfortz room a try, this is my unbiased opinion and I have tried to compare it with the Fiamma one where possible.
First impressions and fresh out the bag, it’s so simple, looks hard wearing and takes up virtually no space in comparison to the Fiamma one which came with poles to attach it to the awning rail and a 3 or 4 ft long bag to match. Score 1 to Comfortz

So having laid out which way we wanted the door and windows round (you have one side with window and one with door) we attached the sides using the mega simple zip over the awning rail fitting. image.jpg
The front panel slid into the awning rail within seconds and attached with hardcore velcro either end.
With the Fiamma we would still be trying to thread the poles through the sides and attach the fiddly rubber bungs at this stage, Comfortz, we have an enclosure in about 2 minutes.
So pretty much within 5-10 mins the pegs are in and we are up and operational.

I would say for ease of use I would have taken this one over the Fiamma one any day of the week, my only criticisms are:-
By using the rail to attach the sides it feels much smaller than the fiamma.
The roof is still open to the elements above the rails so the cold is still making its way in, the heat out, the Fiamma is a proper enclosure in that respect but harder to erect.
The side panels where it meets the van are also open, the Fiamma had a much slicker fit here and one which i think lets this product down, really my main criticism if truth be told, if its raining and I have the door open, we could get wet and colder.image.jpg
I think an optional extra should be another velcro panel which attaches to the van via one or 2 limpets to seal that gap and to stop the side panel rubbing the van in the wind.
This night picture highlights all of the above..
So fellow campers, novices, experienced, would I recommend this? It’s a yes from me, the optional side extensions would have seen this beating the Fiamma to a pulp £ for £ in my opinion.
If you want an easy shelter in a hurry then this is the one for you.
I am yet to see how it looks after being put away a few times maybe even damp, the Fiamma died a death after a few times being away damp, blackened mould spots which couldnt come out and ruined the look for me.
A few more pics

3244CA20-B6AA-4DF8-9630-6CB66C78D8B8.jpeg

B8A3ED40-21BB-4392-81CA-37B574FB3939.jpeg

980230DB-2A5F-4AAA-A840-4495BA0A5A4C.jpeg

BA0D213E-687E-40CC-828D-01695F76123E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have one myself ... Brilliant bit of kit ... It's a 10 from Len.

good review, we have the same awning sides.. we do have the extra pieces where the awning meets the van . Simply velcro onto the main panels. Very easy to install/setup

good review, we have the same awning sides.. we do have the extra pieces where the awning meets the van . Simply velcro onto the main panels. Very easy to install/setup
Did you make them or are the available?

Hi,where did you get the extra panels please?

The only other thing I would add to the review would be a personal one. I always keep my tent peg lifter in the drivers door. To help lifting up the pegs when leaving a site.
sometimes the awning sides can be difficult / awkward to get back into a bag if they are wet.

so our country being the way it is .. I fold them into the back .. then when home dry them out in my garage ready to re bag at a later date,

I found them good quality, easy to setup.

Really love our bright yellow set. Agree re the gap between sides and van, will get in touch with comfortz re the extra bits.

When it's raining, do you lower one leg to allow run off as is common practice when just using the wind out awning? Otherwise you'll get ponding? Doesn't that spoil the seal of the walls against the weather? Can't get my head round how this could work satisfactorily?

Great review. Thank you.

We've had a Comfortz Awning Room, and sold it to upgrade to the mega expensive Thule awning room.

We also have a magnetic skirt that seals the gap between the van and ground, and a wheel arch cover. This means that the whole awning room can be wind sealed, and thus heated from the diesel heater with the sliding door opened. The other big advantage of the Thule over the Comfortz room is size. The floor area is probably about 30% bigger.

Disadvantages with the Thule are numerous: driver's door won't open, sliding door won't click-hold open, very expensive, large pack size, heavy, slow to set up & slow to pack down.

Good evening,

At the end of the summer we got one of the Comfortz Awning too. The first setup, out of the box, took less than 10 minutes. To store everything away a bit longer, maybe 20 minutes.

We don't plan to use it in the winter, so we don't mind too much about the gaps. I agree that the it is compact, not that heavy, still very good quality. The most important point for me is that it is easy and quick to setup. I know me, even if we paid a lot at some stage I would start not to use it because it takes to long. I don't believe that this will happen with the Comfortz.

Like everything it depends on what the expectations are. If someone is looking for a quality awning tent, compact stored away, light, easy to setup and halfway recenlty in price the Comfortz ticks all the boxes.

Regards,
Eberhard

When it's raining, do you lower one leg to allow run off as is common practice when just using the wind out awning? Otherwise you'll get ponding? Doesn't that spoil the seal of the walls against the weather? Can't get my head round how this could work satisfactorily?
Yes but you only need to have a slight gradient for the water to run off.
The seal of the walls to the front wall is with heavy duty velcro, to the van there is non hence my only real gripe in the review.
Did send Comfortz a message but no reply as yet

Yes but you only need to have a slight gradient for the water to run off.
The seal of the walls to the front wall is with heavy duty velcro, to the van there is non hence my only real gripe in the review.
Did send Comfortz a message but no reply as yet
That's reassuring- thank you

Its just so quick which is the real plus, its also good quality, will look into the extra panels.

I would be interested to know how these additional panels attach to the existing awning sides/van and what the cost is when someone receives them. If this thread could be updated then with some pics as well, I'm sure a lot of people would be interested to know.

As soon as I get a reply guys I will let you know and if poss update with pictures depending on the reply :thumb

We have made a lot of use of our Comfortz awning room over the 4 years we have had it in various ways. We tried putting two of them together to make a bigger dining area.
20160617_201105.jpg
This worked very well except when it rained as the rain would come through the join between the awnings.
@Borris designed some panels to join the awnings with Velcro on the join. This provided a wind and watertight join and made it a very comfortable space.
P1040636.JPG
P1040643.JPG
Comfortz made the join in the same material so it matched in very well. The roof join was made with a gutter like join to run the water away. We had a lot of meals in this awning configuration which worked well.
It is important to secure the awning very well and tie down kits are available from the shop.
image0003.jpg
This is one of the strongest ones but you can also get 2 shorter ones that fit into the Kador strip.
We used 2 sets of tie down straps at Highlands End on the recent very windy Club Meet. You can see them both in this picture, as well as get some idea about the strength of the wind from the hedge in the background.
20190927_190723.jpg
You mentioned the gap between the wall at each end and the roof. If you get a pair of plastic clips like these, they grip the awning firmly and can be pulled with a bungee cord and fixed to a peg so that the gap is closed.
P1030272.JPG
I don't have a picture of them in place at present, but I'll try to take one next time we use them.

The sum up I think this awning room is very useful. It folds into a very small bag which can be easily carried, in with the folding seats, for example. It is quick and easy to put up. It will act as a place to put the items you don't need in the Cali when you are on site and need the space inside for sleeping. It is also very good value.

Where do you get the extra pieces?

I have the same Comfortz awning tent, but have problems with the side window fogging up with moisture that seems to trap between the layers of plastic membrane. It goes eventully when hung out to dry, but takes hours. It looks a bit strange, like dirty patterned clouds which is a bit annoying. Otherwise, the tent is great!

Thanks for the great feedback folks, with regards the emails I've not seen them tbh (perhaps they've been spammed?), we're making a sent of infills up for a chap this week but just as a catch all can you drop the office a call please and they'll capture your details. 01246 912712. Cheers :thumb