Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Comfortz Awning Room

Padders13

Padders13

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi Folks
Just a quick word on a great bit if kit. Nick and the Comfortz crew managed to rush us an awning room set just before we made a tour of the outer Hebs. Despite mostly excellent weather it was a big hit with us. On a couple of rainy nights, we put one or two walls up after winding out the awing, and it worked just fine to keep the rain and wind off the chef, but without blocking the view. On a couple of other nights we just used a section to give our very nervous cocker puppy a bit of privacy as she goes a bit loopy if she sees another dog. Brilliant for that too. Also privacy from a weird couple in a Hymer on South Uist who somehow took offence, you know who are If you have google translated this into German, Herr Nosy. Anyway, back to the kit, the best thing is, you have a very adaptable and versatile awing/windbreak which can go up and down in just minutes. Perfect of those one night stands where the full driveway job is too much hassle. I appreciate that some folks question whether the full tent type awning is in the spirit of the Cali, but preferring both Scotland for travel and the Safari Chef for cooking, we find the shelter afforded by the Omnistor awing indispensable and even one side of the Comfortz kit considerably improves it. Like all Comfortz kit, this is especially well made and looks like it will last for years.
By the way the outer Hebs was great, check out Ardroil beach 'wild' camping (with hot showers included, Just £2pppn!) and the West Harris Trust campervan spots for self contained camping.
Ho hum back to the grim reality of work tomorrow....

I'm contemplating buying the comfortz sides and skirt for my awning. I feel it will be better than my vango for one nighters.
Going buy the above can anyone else shed light on suitability and spec

We
I'm contemplating buying the comfortz sides and skirt for my awning. I feel it will be better than my vango for one nighters.
Going buy the above can anyone else shed light on suitability and spec
We love the concept of this . It's fixed within five minutes . Gives privacy if only wanting to use one or two sides or shelter from winds . Bought one after using a Vango , just wanted a quick fix for a bit of space and privacy when needed . Well worth the investment
Mrs B

We have the Comfortz awning room set and can only echo Padders13. Super easy and super versatile. So good infact that we decided against a drive away awning. We will be traveling Europe for 3 months with a toddler and a baby and rely on the awning to do it all.

Thanks for the write up, we just bought one at the Lower Lode meet and were able to use it on the second night. Picked up a tip (from Mrs Spud) to lift the awning poles to allow the bottoms to dry before packing it away; anyone got any other tips - eg to get the sides nice and neat etc?

PS Echo your sentiments about the Outer Hebrides, we've had two trips up there so far :thumb

We bought a single Comfortz side panel and store it in one of the chairs in the tailgate. (We put the roof topper in the other).

We don't use it all the time, but it is very handy to have on windy evenings and allows the kids to play outside longer. Brilliant how a sheet of plastic can increase the useable space of the Cali so much. We also love the fact it has a large window which let's in plenty if light and stops you feeling enclosed.

Looks like the Comfort awning room has a lots of fans. As said what we liked most was the versatility just to use one or two sides. Like Oliver, we wonder whether to ditch the full Kyham driveaway now, although it is very nice on more extended stays.

Sorry for later reply Geezo, work has kept me very busy since the last trip. But it is optimised for the Cali awning, ours is the Thule version. Just get some good pegs for the uprights, we use Peggy Peg foot plates and hardcore pegs, plus a couple of tie down straps from lilypad, inserted into the awning bead strip as per their website demo.

Anyone got any tips about the best way to fold the panels so they fit in the bag properly?

The Lower Lode Inn meet confirmed to us this is the final thing we need to complete our set up (despite having bought a Vango AirAway Galli and Decathlon 2 Second Pop Up Tent - I'll find a good use for them!), and promptly ordered one from Nick whilst there.

However, there may be just one last thing... a good ground sheet/mat for the awning space. Does anyone have any bright ideas?

The Lower Lode Inn meet confirmed to us this is the final thing we need to complete our set up (despite having bought a Vango AirAway Galli and Decathlon 2 Second Pop Up Tent - I'll find a good use for them!), and promptly ordered one from Nick whilst there.

However, there may be just one last thing... a good ground sheet/mat for the awning space. Does anyone have any bright ideas?
We are after one of the ones in HC's photo on this thread. (Post 28)

I sent the shop he bought them from (Post 30) an email on Sunday but so far they haven't replied. Maybe I'll have to phone them ...

These are the mat people. HC admired ours at Lower Lode and he called and got one on his travels.
http://www.moroccanmatting.co.uk/matting_range.html
The 260 x 180 size fits nicely in the Comfortz awning. Ours is blue and grey and they are reversible so a choice of two colours.
He normally sells them at shows but they can be ordered and posted. I think it was £30 + £12 postage. Clips are a fiver extra I think.

With any type of ground sheet or cover like this, we use a method that folds the sides in to the middle and then once narrow enough do the same with the ends as that puts all the loose edges and corners on the inside and easier to put in a bag.

We have an oztent and that has a similar set of sides for it's porch, these are rolled up and go in long thin bags and this stops the creases.

I'd normally do something similar to @Loz, we always fold it by putting dirty to dirty and /or clean to clean for a ground sheet.

Anyone got any tips about the best way to fold the panels so they fit in the bag properly?

We got ours on Friday (7 day turnaround) and I've just performed a test erection and it is a very nice peice of kit and definitely useful for one night stands. Anyway as for folding do it together with the wife and follow her instructions to the letter. Folding is definitely a wife thing. It seems to come naturally. Sorry if this sounds sexist.