Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Comfortz awning room

Defender90

Defender90

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Thinking about getting the awning room ,i like the black but does it make the room really dark also hot?

Thinking about getting the awning room ,i like the black but does it make the room really dark also hot?
Can’t comment re the black, we’ve got the red, we’ve never had a problem with lack of light or excessive heat.

We have had the black for 6 years and excessive heat hasn’t bothered us in any way. We have been in some quite high temperatures in Spain. Normally the heat gets reflected back from the light coloured awning. personally I would say it’s been money well invested and we always use it whenever we stay on a campsite.
We do find that in the mornings we get a lot of condensation on the underside of the awning, depending on the weather....But then that’s all part of the joy of campervanning.....

We have had the black for 6 years and excessive heat hasn’t bothered us in any way. We have been in some quite high temperatures in Spain. Normally the heat gets reflected back from the light coloured awning. personally I would say it’s been money well invested and we always use it whenever we stay on a campsite.
We do find that in the mornings we get a lot of condensation on the underside of the awning, depending on the weather....But then that’s all part of the joy of campervanning.....
As far as dark there are 2 big windows and a zip up door so no it’s not dark unless you want it to be.

Can anyone advise how robust is the awning and awning room in windy conditions? I’ve got one but not been brave enough to use it in breezy conditions. I have tie down straps for the awning and peg down the awning room.

So long as you peg the awning legs and all the holes in the room you'll be fine. Not used tie down straps and it's never been a problem.
Have had our room probably best part of 7/8 years and it still looks good after plenty of use.
We also bought a drive away awning and have only use it a handful of times!

So long as you peg the awning legs and all the holes in the room you'll be fine. Not used tie down straps and it's never been a problem.
Have had our room probably best part of 7/8 years and it still looks good after plenty of use.
We also bought a drive away awning and have only use it a handful of times!
Brilliant thank you!

Can anyone advise how robust is the awning and awning room in windy conditions? I’ve got one but not been brave enough to use it in breezy conditions. I have tie down straps for the awning and peg down the awning room.
The weather on Anglesey, North Wales last weekend was atrocious with wind and heavy rain but the Comfort Awning Room saved the day. We did peg down well though and used the tie down straps.

We have a small drive away awning and were also considering the awning room. Having watched a video on erecting the awning room and did seem very straightforward, I was however wondering if the awning room pegs were an issue when pitched on hardstanding. In the video the awning room was on a grass pitch and the small ‘insert through’ base pegs didn’t look robust enough to take the hammering that is sometimes required on a hardstanding pitch. Is this an issue ?

We have a small drive away awning and were also considering the awning room. Having watched a video on erecting the awning room and did seem very straightforward, I was however wondering if the awning room pegs were an issue when pitched on hardstanding. In the video the awning room was on a grass pitch and the small ‘insert through’ base pegs didn’t look robust enough to take the hammering that is sometimes required on a hardstanding pitch. Is this an issue ?
It’s a brilliant piece of kit. We used it on hard standing for the first time in May - the supplied pegs were useless. Ended up using rock pegs which protruded a little and not ideal, so I’ve just bought some steel ground pegs. Not tried them yet.

Thanks for that, be good to know how you fare with the steel pegs. For info, did you peg the rock pegs inside the room, I can understand that protrusion might be awkward but if , like some, you peg the base flap outside it might not be so problematic. Happy camping .

I always carry a variety of different pegs just in case. Unless you've been to the site before you can never tell what state the ground will be.

Thanks for that, be good to know how you fare with the steel pegs. For info, did you peg the rock pegs inside the room, I can understand that protrusion might be awkward but if , like some, you peg the base flap outside it might not be so problematic. Happy camping .
It was tipping down with fine rain, so we pegged them inside the room (and dropped a leg on the awning so the rain ran off) We stayed lovely and dry and had a very usable space and it kept the Cali clean as there’s a little overlap of the awning before you enter the room, so space to take off shoes. We used a groundsheet and a cutdown dometic awning ’carpet’ so it was good for bare feet. I’m short and with a folding step I can quickly and easily put the room up single handed. I also have the awning infills to the van (which I use magnets to hold in place) and an inflatable outdoor revolution ‘thing’ which goes under the van and acts as a dog stop and wind block, I think it helped a lot to keep the awning room comfortable.

I also use a centre pole so you don't have any sag in the middle of the "roof". It comes in 2 sections so can be stored easily in the van.