Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Comfortz Insulated External Cali Topper

calibeach76

calibeach76

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi

Looking at ordering the insulated screen and Cali topper from the club shop. Any thoughts on the external topper please? Is it worth it? Does it make a big difference?

Cheers

Hi

Looking at ordering the insulated screen and Cali topper from the club shop. Any thoughts on the external topper please? Is it worth it? Does it make a big difference?

Cheers
Worth doing a search as there are loads of posts regarding both. I've got a Brandrup external screen cover which works well. I also have the Brandrup Isotop internal "topper" which is a replacement for a Comfortz external. Both have their pros and cons, the biggest advantage of the Isotop is it's fit and forget BUT the roof canvas still gets wet and needs drying. The external is a bit of a pain to fit if the weathers bad or you are on the short side but it does keep everything dry.
As I say do a search!

Hi

Cheers
Can you dry your roof canvas at home? If not then any external Topper is well with the money and the extra hassle of putting on or off, compared to a damp moldy roof canvas.

Worth doing a search as there are loads of posts regarding both. I've got a Brandrup external screen cover which works well. I also have the Brandrup Isotop internal "topper" which is a replacement for a Comfortz external. Both have their pros and cons, the biggest advantage of the Isotop is it's fit and forget BUT the roof canvas still gets wet and needs drying. The external is a bit of a pain to fit if the weathers bad or you are on the short side but it does keep everything dry.
As I say do a search!
Thanks. Most of my research has thrown up reviews similar to yours. We try to travel as light as we can so I only want one solution. External appears cheapest route and tbh from using without we would only be looking to prolong out of season and shoulder season use so want the best and most economical solution. Cheers

Can you dry your roof canvas at home? If not then any external Topper is well with the money and the extra hassle of putting on or off, compared to a damp moldy roof canvas.
Hi WelshGas

Yeah no problems there we dry tents and bits in a barn so that's not an issue. Just wondered for shoulder seasons eta if it would make a big temp difference and equally important cut light down in summer as I'm awake as soon as dawn breaks which at 4.30am on holiday in the sun isn't always what I want!

Thanks. Most of my research has thrown up reviews similar to yours. We try to travel as light as we can so I only want one solution. External appears cheapest route and tbh from using without we would only be looking to prolong out of season and shoulder season use so want the best and most economical solution. Cheers
I was quite content with my external topper and it's done its job for four years. I still intend to keep it to use it if the weather is really bad and there's not going to be a good chance of drying the canvas.
I'm sure the extra insulation helps but I'm not convinced it makes a noticeable difference .... others do! If its really cold we just sleep downstairs.

Re Windscreen covers.

I have 2 one from the shop which is used as an insulator screen and needs storage space. The other for spring to autumn is more of a privacy sunshade and when folded slots into a tailgate chair, also has the benefit of being able to leave the door windows slightly open for ventilation.

Re Windscreen covers.

I have 2 one from the shop which is used as an insulator screen and needs storage space. The other for spring to autumn is more of a privacy sunshade and when folded slots into a tailgate chair, also has the benefit of being able to leave the door windows slightly open for ventilation.

What make is your Spring/Autumn cover ?

Was off an Ebay supplier (Fuel-Lagoon), was silver outer coated which is a material no longer supplied/obtainable.
They used my Cali to photo a plain one in plain colour.
Lots of other suppliers of summer grade blinds.

Word of caution in that it was designed to fit a Transporter which doesn't have the awning rails on both sides. This makes a tight stretch at the top of the windscreen, as you may see in the photo.
mine hasn't actually split as yet.

I find the external blind simpler to use than the internal ones especially as 100% privacy.

1583676135057.png1583676135057.png

Back