Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Comfortz sides vs. drive-away awning

Seaside Sussex

Seaside Sussex

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all

After some advice concerning whether to go for either/or in terms of the Comfortz sides for the pull-out awning vs. a drive away.

We are thinking putting the Comfortz sides will be great for a night or 2/3 away and would plan to put porta potti in there at night/table and chairs during the day in hot/inclement weather, utilising a ground sheet/carpet type of arrangement for the floor, also a place for storing dirty footwear etc. However realistically as soon as we want to go somewhere, everything will have to be packed away (I have read the sides fit nicely into the chair bags in the tailgate). On the other hand, we could leave a drive-away awning in situ, with same things in it.

As you can read from my ramblings, just mulling it all over in my head and as we don't yet have the van I guess this'll be more apparent in time, but keen to hear others perspectives of what works well. Suspect in the fullness of time we will need both anyhow!

We will be travelling, mostly, as a family of 4 in our Ocean, so space will be at a premium.

Jayne

Hi all

After some advice concerning whether to go for either/or in terms of the Comfortz sides for the pull-out awning vs. a drive away.

We are thinking putting the Comfortz sides will be great for a night or 2/3 away and would plan to put porta potti in there at night/table and chairs during the day in hot/inclement weather, utilising a ground sheet/carpet type of arrangement for the floor, also a place for storing dirty footwear etc. However realistically as soon as we want to go somewhere, everything will have to be packed away (I have read the sides fit nicely into the chair bags in the tailgate). On the other hand, we could leave a drive-away awning in situ, with same things in it.

As you can read from my ramblings, just mulling it all over in my head and as we don't yet have the van I guess this'll be more apparent in time, but keen to hear others perspectives of what works well. Suspect in the fullness of time we will need both anyhow!

We will be travelling, mostly, as a family of 4 in our Ocean, so space will be at a premium.

Jayne
You seem to have it summed up Jayne. If your going to be using the Cali during the day and remaining on the same site the drive away awning seems the best option. If your not then the ability to add panels to the existing awning will be a lighter option. As with so many things it all comes down to how YOU are going to use it.
I have neither but then there's just the two of us.

Mike

I haven't got either because I can't make my mind up! I do have a large Kyham quick erect shelter which I use as a drive away because I already had it. I haven't had a problem with it but there was some chat on here last year that some sites consider anything which doesn't actually attach to the van to be a separate tent rather than an awning and either charge accordingly or outright ban them.

I've also got a folding Vango windbreak that I use as walls for the awning. It's not as cozy as the Comfortz option but is standalone so can be left in situ when you go out for the day.

Last edited:
Thanks @Mike. With both options around the £400 mark (and plenty else to spend on) I want to try to go for the best all-round option, taking account of others' experience. As I say, we'll probably end up needing both for different types of trip.

Think you've got your Cali now? When I was on here at the ordering stage a few months back think you'd had some issues? Hope everything is all resolved for you now.

Jayne

Thanks @DM, so not just us either! Some 'food for thought' in your reply, a windbreak might be a good initial cheaper option, though will not provide much privacy for the porta potti!

Haha - you're right there. And that's another discussion entirely. Lots of threads to go on :headbang . We have bought a portapotti but haven't actually used it yet. Very much for emergencies only.

Indeed, I spent a couple of hours yesterday evening chuckling away while reading the toilet thread!

Haha - you're right there. And that's another discussion entirely. Lots of threads to go on :headbang . We have bought a portapotti but haven't actually used it yet. Very much for emergencies only.
Big toilet tent is an option. I picked up a large pop up toilet tent early on to be able to 1. Put the tow bar rack in. 2. Reserve the pitch while we're away for the day 3. Use as a toilet tent. Good in principle but they pack up a bit larger than I would like and pop up easier than they pop down. I suspect I'll pick up a more conventional one sometime.
Might be an option.

Mike

We have a medium popaloo tent
https://www.popaloo.co.uk/shop/ which is very quick to erect and fits into the rear door with the seats when not in use .
Bought a Quechua Base Seconds Pop
Up Camping Shelter which we intend to use as a driveaway /toilet tent /bike shelter .Have put up in garden ,simple and quick to erect ,"fun" to put down. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/base-seconds-pop-up-camping-shelter-id_8208602.html If you look at the customer pictures seems to be being used "attached" to tailgate and side door .Will have to see how that works out

Bought a Quechua Base Seconds Pop Up Camping Shelter which we intend to use as a driveaway /toilet tent /bike shelter .Have put up in garden ,simple and quick to erect ,"fun" to put down. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/base-seconds-pop-up-camping-shelter-id_8208602.html If you look at the customer pictures seems to be being used "attached" to tailgate and side door .Will have to see how that works out

Thank you @madwomanne The Quechua looks like a good (cheaper) option, if only for fun value - I'll be with one directing the taking-dow I think! :D I love the photo of two of them together next to a VW!

What a great initiative @CoboCali

We've been looking at the Kela III too, looks like a good option for a drive-away, which I do think we are eventually going to need with the four of us travelling for a week or more.

Going to await delivery and a few overnighters in the Spring and go from there. Suspect our loft capacity is going to be ever-reducing with accessories for this new lifestyle!

we went for the Vango kela 3 for occasions where we are staying on a site for a few days or more - but felt the need for some awning sides for those one night stay overs where we needed a bit of privacy or weather protection - hence the DIY solution I describe in this thread. We since added a DIY end section also. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/awning-diy-sides.14355/
We have a Vango drive away as well and some DIY panels. The panels are easy to carry and the drive away goes with us if we think we'll need it, i.e. longer trips. But it's just us two these days, so maybe with a family of four it would be different. In fact thinking back I think with 4 of us I would have always taken the drive away, if only to have a seperate sleeping compartment.

Thank you @madwomanne The Quechua looks like a good (cheaper) option, if only for fun value - I'll be with one directing the taking-dow I think! :D I love the photo of two of them together next to a VW!
+1 for the Quechua. We found a drive away awning too big in the Cali and made it feel claustrophobic when attached. The pop up is great, very easy to store, mega quick to erect . You can put your loo, bbq etc. in it and bring your awning out to meet it. Nowhere near as big a faff as an awning. You could also use the comforts side panels as well if req.
IMG_0895.jpg

Drive away or safari room (Comfortz type)? That's a tough one, we've got both and me & missus can't agree. She says the drive away is too big and takes too much space (half the lower boot), while I think the other is too small and is draughty (the awning blows up leaving a big gap above the sides). I also didn't like leaving the awning wound out and having to get up in the night to let about about 20 gallons of water off the awning (normally leaving one side lower prevents this but you lower too much with the sides attached).

Hope this helps! ;)

We have both, and went to Spain in 2015 with a drive-away awning - the Outwell Hollywood Freeway. It's an inflatable type, so fairly easy to put up and take down, but quite bulky when stored in the van.

Cali-2015-003.jpg
We were just a couple, and used it as the bedroom. The connecting area was the "hallway" and the van was the "living room"!

Cali-2015-067.jpg

Cali-2015-065.jpg

It was marvelous, but became a bit of a chore for one night or two night stops. We ended up staying longer at each place eventually.

On our most recent trip (two nights only) we tried the Comfortz panels, which are very well made.

Constable Burton 02.jpg
Constable Burton 03.jpg
We used it as a kitchen and for the porta potti, but I did think that it could be used as a bedroom for myself, but remember that there is a huge gap under the vehicle and around the rear wheel arch, which made it incredibly draughty in a breeze.

I am going to try it on our next trip, but only after buying the Fiamma awning skirt. I think this will be ideal for short stops and allow the Comfortz room to be reasonably cosy. I doubt that it would work too well if it was windy, however.

IMG_1945.JPG

IMG_1946.JPG

We use a Base Seconds like Larrylamb with the awning.
Also have the Comfortz setup which is very versatile. Quite often we just use the one or two ends, takes a couple of minutes to get on/off and just keeps the wind off.

Also got a Kyham from years ago but very rarely use it.

We tried a Kela but sold it and bought a Khyam. We find it much easier to take up and down and it works better as a standalone tent in the style of Larry Lamb - we usually just connect it as awning in bad weather. The comfortz panels are great for providing a wind break but not good in rain- a substantial weight of water gathers on the on the awning (which will damage the struts and joints) and the sides prevent you leaving one side of the awning lower to prevent this.

We tried a Kela but sold it and bought a Khyam. We find it much easier to take up and down and it works better as a standalone tent in the style of Larry Lamb - we usually just connect it as awning in bad weather. The comfortz panels are great for providing a wind break but not good in rain- a substantial weight of water gathers on the on the awning (which will damage the struts and joints) and the sides prevent you leaving one side of the awning lower to prevent this.

We never had a problem with water pooling as we use one of these https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/curved-rafter-pro-roll-awning

We have Comfortz awning sides which we use if staying on site for a few days. It needs a bit of extra work to make it secure ie; guy ropes in case of wind gusts. I also use the curved rafter to stop rain water ponding on the roof, which several responses have also mentioned.
We have also recently purchased a Khyam drive away awning which we have tested on a trip to Oxford with our good friends Mr & Mrs Borris. It was at the frosty end of January and we had a meal in it and kept it very comfortably warm with a small fan heater.

Both have their own uses. The Comfortz awning sides take up less space in the Cali and give you a lot of room inside the awning. They are not wind proof as they do not seal onto the van. They are a superb space to store things making more space inside the Cali at night. They can take a bit of time to take down if you plan to go away for a day in the van.
The Khyam drive away awning is 3m square. It was a bargain on their site over Christmas and at the price I thought it was worth trying out. The bag is about 1' x 1' x 2¼' which doesn't sound large, until you put it on the floor of the Cali. This is, apparently a small awning bag so if space is at a premium try to see how the bag will fit in. You can drive away and leave it on site with things that you don't need during the day, bedding, etc.

I also use the wind out awning as a porch when the weather is less than ideal. Pegged well I put it about 6' out which gives me somewhere to put walking boots on outside of the van.
I must stress that if using the wind out awning to peg it out very well. There are several threads on here from people who haven't and returned after a walk to find the awning blown over the roof of the Cali and completely wrecked.
You will find out which suits your needs best, and I would suggest that it depends on the holiday plans and the weather. There are often adverts for both types of awning from people who have bought and found that it didn't suit them. If you can wait, go to a couple of meets and speak to other owners and see what they ended up with.
Above all enjoy your Cali. Best wishes Simon

I now have the rafter thanks to SimonB, it really does work very well and installs in minutes.

Back