Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

compressing pillows and duvets

Agnes

Agnes

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Not yet done many trips and so still learning. So far I have left the double duvet folded up inside the extra matress we have on the back shelf and its not too bulky and kinda easy to roll out once the bed is down - but I have seen reference on the forum to tying duvets/mattress down which sounds like a good idea - what do people use for this? Some kind of strap? How would that be fixed if I had the folded over mattress/duvet on the back shelf?
The pillows though are bulky and really need compressing to be more compact and not fill up the view of the back window. They can go on the bench seat when driving I guess, as there are only two of us, but I think there is probably a better solution for storing these pillows. Last time I stuffed them in that amazing wardrobe space (lol) because it was an overnighter and we didnt need many clothes. But this is not feasible for longer trips when I think that wardbrobe space would have a much better function. I have read a bit about compression sacks - are these easy to use and what size would I need for a pillow or for two pillows? I recall from camping days years ago, trying to stuff sleeping bags in their storage bags and it took me a very frustrating age to get the things in there! but they were not compression sacks in those days. Any suggestions most welcome. Thanks.

Vacusacs and a dyson - amazing how much space you save

I use a commercial laundry sack ( the sort used by hotels to send their sheets to the laundry) it’s a heavy duty nylon bag with two straps to allow you to compress the contents. Makes a large winter duvet and 2 pillows into a easy to stow package.

We roll the pillows up in the duvet and stuff into a sleeping bag lofting sack.

IMG_0828.JPG

The duvet for the upper berth is folded in half lengthways and squishes into the cavity between the roof and upper berth mattress.

Feather duvets take up less space than synthetic; down less than feather; goose less than duck.

Duvet (goose down filled, so very compressible) we keep in a large dry-sack. Compressing it is a doddle by kneeling on it and rolling up the top as the air is squeezed out. Very simple, takes just a few seconds, works for us.

For pillows, we pop pillow cases onto the pair of large-ish cushions that live on the bench seat during the day.

We use a couple of these from Ikea (or very similar) they each take a full double duvet and two pillows and compress nicely and could fit a bit more if needed.
Fit vertically up against the right window on top of the shelf in an Ocean and pack down to almost nothing.
Interested to try a full compression sack to see if it improves significantly

I have put, like many here, an non slip mat on top of the kitchen/sink glas cover. I put the two pillows on top during travel they have never fallen down, not even driving through the alps.

Thanks to all for these ingenious suggestions! I am sure there is a solution for me in these wonderful responses.

We use vango self inflating pillows, about a tenner and pack down really small. About 5 mins before you bed you unroll, undo the valve and let them inflate themselves. Then tighten valve and youre done, dont be tempted to blow them up as they will be too inflated and not be comfy.

i have the duvet on my mattress topper downstairs and just roll the whole lot up together onto the back shelf. no strap, not stuffing. kids sleep upstairs in simple sleeping bags.

i have the duvet on my mattress topper downstairs and just roll the whole lot up together onto the back shelf. no strap, not stuffing. kids sleep upstairs in simple sleeping bags.

Same as you.

I have a comfort mattress topper with everything rolled up on top of it. One pull of the topper and everything is in place. Gives me 2 minutes more drinking time :shocked

Roll it up two luggage straps then duvet and pillows neatly laid on top. When rolled out for bed leave the straps flat in situ while sleeping ready to snap together again in the morning.
Even if you cant fully see out of the rear window you have your door mirrors, its a van and if you fit a bike rack you wont see through it anyway. The only use for our interior mirror is to hang the garland on :cool:.

Ex truck driver I don't even use the one in the car.

We have 100mm of mattress a duvet and four pillows and can see through the rear window if needed.

We squeeze a thick double duvet and 2 big pillows in the drawer under seat. I know others use this for clothes or kitchen stuff but it has the advantage of doing all the compressing for you and all bedding is out of the way first thing.

Wow, The things that drawer does! I am sure there will be a thread on the site somewhere about what people us the bench drawer for! I must look it up. Thanks for this

Karrimor 90litre drybags. One for pillows, one for duvet. It’s a squeeze but once in you sit on them to push air out and then fasten up and store behind rear bench

Not yet done many trips and so still learning. So far I have left the double duvet folded up inside the extra matress we have on the back shelf and its not too bulky and kinda easy to roll out once the bed is down - but I have seen reference on the forum to tying duvets/mattress down which sounds like a good idea - what do people use for this? Some kind of strap? How would that be fixed if I had the folded over mattress/duvet on the back shelf?
The pillows though are bulky and really need compressing to be more compact and not fill up the view of the back window. They can go on the bench seat when driving I guess, as there are only two of us, but I think there is probably a better solution for storing these pillows. Last time I stuffed them in that amazing wardrobe space (lol) because it was an overnighter and we didnt need many clothes. But this is not feasible for longer trips when I think that wardbrobe space would have a much better function. I have read a bit about compression sacks - are these easy to use and what size would I need for a pillow or for two pillows? I recall from camping days years ago, trying to stuff sleeping bags in their storage bags and it took me a very frustrating age to get the things in there! but they were not compression sacks in those days. Any suggestions most welcome. Thanks.
Try one of the Lomo dry bags. 100l is more than big enough for a double duvet and pillows.

This is our solution, we bought these storage bags on Amazon. Three fit perfectly on the shelf behind the back seat, in summer we have one for pillows and sheets, in winter a double down duvet fits easily in to a second one. The third is just to make up the set and carries other ‘stuff’.
One of our best buys, compresses to make for efficient use of space, great for moving bedding between home and the van. Normally they just live on the back shelf awaiting an impromptu stop over.A3B43DE6-6BF7-4DC0-9D0C-782FFFDF5929.jpeg

This is our solution, we bought these storage bags on Amazon. Three fit perfectly on the shelf behind the back seat, in summer we have one for pillows and sheets, in winter a double down duvet fits easily in to a second one. The third is just to make up the set and carries other ‘stuff’.
One of our best buys, compresses to make for efficient use of space, great for moving bedding between home and the van. Normally they just live on the back shelf awaiting an impromptu stop over.View attachment 51351
I like it. Where did you buy them? Do you have a link? I am doing the roll up mattress and duvet this weekend with straps.

Hi, we use compression sacks, US Army ones. Check out
eBay item number:

Back