Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Condensation in cupboards

DavidApp

DavidApp

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone had condensation build up issues in the cupboards on cold nights? I noticed it last night. There's no water in the system currently so I know it's not a water leak. I was thinking of buying a moisture block that are used for condensation on windows. Anyone solved this?

Thanks.

Never noticed a problem with this even in winter at sub zero temps.

Do you get condensation on the windows as well?

When I had a Cali I never had a problem with condensation.

When I had a Cali I never had a problem with condensation.

Hi Jen, been away for a while so was surprised to see that you no longer have your Cali, did see the thread re your charging problems and poor dealer response, have you given up on VW?

Hi Jen, been away for a while so was surprised to see that you no longer have your Cali, did see the thread re your charging problems and poor dealer response, have you given up on VW?

My Cali appears to be on long-term loan to VW technical department :( I have given up on ever seeing it again :( It was collected on the 20th July and apart from a fleeting glimpse since I have been without ....

When you use your Cali in winter, condensation on the back of the cupboards is a well known problem. The back of the cupboards is simply the steel outside of the car... So that can be very cold and bring condensation, or even ice when really cold outside. That can then melt again when you come back to your Cali, and run under the floor boards, and then overnight freeze again, completely blocking the rails!

Since we use our Cali winters as well, we have isolated the back of our cupboards. Essentially pieces of board cut to measure, with insulation foil to the back of it. aand then the room between the boards and the Cali side stuffed with foam, to buils an isolation layer. Never had the problem again.

We took our lead from here: http://sjhmulde.home.xs4all.nl/VW-WINTER-KAMPEREN/isolatie-keukenkast.htm
It is in Dutch, but the pictures will give you the idea.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

Basically you will only get condensation onto a cold surface, be it back of cupboards, wardrobe or windows/windscreen if you have high humidity within the vehicle.
You could insulate all those areas, but that doesn't mean water might not be still condensing on the cold metal behind the insulation and out of sight. Or you can adequately ventilate the vehicle and use the Parking Heater, which is what I do.
No condensation anywhere.

Ditto....

I have never had any condensation...in any extremes of weather the Cali has been in......but then again whatever the weather at home I ventilate the house...same with Cali......

My Cali appears to be on long-term loan to VW technical department :( I have given up on ever seeing it again :( It was collected on the 20th July and apart from a fleeting glimpse since I have been without ....

Not good, must be very frustrating for you.

I guess the more people inside the vehicle the more chance of condersation when temperature is significant

When you use your Cali in winter, condensation on the back of the cupboards is a well known problem. The back of the cupboards is simply the steel outside of the car... So that can be very cold and bring condensation, or even ice when really cold outside. That can then melt again when you come back to your Cali, and run under the floor boards, and then overnight freeze again, completely blocking the rails!

Since we use our Cali winters as well, we have isolated the back of our cupboards. Essentially pieces of board cut to measure, with insulation foil to the back of it. aand then the room between the boards and the Cali side stuffed with foam, to buils an isolation layer. Never had the problem again.

We took our lead from here: http://sjhmulde.home.xs4all.nl/VW-WINTER-KAMPEREN/isolatie-keukenkast.htm
It is in Dutch, but the pictures will give you the idea.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

Thanks for the link and photos, we find in winter we have to leave the cupboard doors open half way to allow some heat from the van in to prevent the water pipe that supplies the tap from freezing. The pipe runs along the back of the cupboards, do you have any problems with this after you have installed the insulation?

Thanks all, it was the first time I noticed it this weekend but we'll leave the cupboard doors ajar slightly. We're going to deploy the topper this weekend also. Who knows where it's gone, but the British summer seems to have taken a leave of absence (again) and gone on holiday elsewhere in Europe. So with the topper on, the ventilation through there will also have gone. I used the heater for the first time on Saturday so may have to keep that going.

Or you can adequately ventilate the vehicle and use the Parking Heater, which is what I do.
No condensation anywhere.
That's what we always do, but even then, when it is -15, -20 Celsius outside, we found the bare metal backside of the cupboards would have frozen condensation on it anyway after a night's sleep. We have had it nowhere else.
Thanks for the link and photos, we find in winter we have to leave the cupboard doors open half way to allow some heat from the van in to prevent the water pipe that supplies the tap from freezing. The pipe runs along the back of the cupboards, do you have any problems with this after you have installed the insulation?
No, we have not had the water pipe freezing.
So with the topper on, the ventilation through there will also have gone.
In cold or wet conditions we nearly always have the topper on, and yes, that reduces ventilation compared to an open tent, but it doesn't diminish it to zero.

I use the Brandrup window vents when the Topper is on or roof closed. I know they are expensive, but I didn't pay for them VW did!

The issue is night sky radiation.

I use the Brandrup window vents when the Topper is on or roof closed. I know they are expensive, but I didn't pay for them VW did!
When it is really cold, we use the insulated silver screen cover on our windscreen and side door windows. That again hinders proper ventilation through such vents as the Brandrup ones. So, when it's cold, we use the topper AND silver screen. When it's cold, you want some, but you don't want a lot of ventilation (=cold coming in). When it is really cold, it is a delicate balance between enough ventilation and keeping the warmth in, and sometimes that balance is such that there is some condensation. We found insulating the back side of the cupboards helps there.

But then, what idiots go camping when it is really cold?? o_O We do!

Use to be an issue in construction. Not so now. Look up night sky cooling or condensation. Or if your really sad BS 5250!

Very sad. Let's hope for a speedy return ;)

Very sad. Let's hope for a speedy return ;)

I have now been given the gladsome tidings that after the replacement of a complete wiring harness today Albert's nervous system should be fully functional ...

As this is the 6th time I have heard variants on those words I will remain sceptical. He is due back home on Thursday so they can have 48 hours of testing.

I am planning some form of mini party to welcome him home ... which is granny-ese for finding an excuse to open a bottle of champagne

I have now been given the gladsome tidings that after the replacement of a complete wiring harness today Albert's nervous system should be fully functional ...

As this is the 6th time I have heard variants on those words I will remain sceptical. He is due back home on Thursday so they can have 48 hours of testing.

I am planning some form of mini party to welcome him home ... which is granny-ese for finding an excuse to open a bottle of champagne
Well lets hope Albert will be put through his paces before you get him back so we know everything is in working order. :Nailbiting

Back