Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Condensation

CaliGem

CaliGem

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all.

I picked up our first Cali last week and she truly is a beauty.
To test things initially, I camped last Saturday with my son on the drive. (Roof down as it was a windy one!)
When I opened the blinds and removed the internal thermal blinds from the cab there was a lot of condensation.
Is this normal and is there a way of dealing with it? I wouldn't want condensation to ruin anything internally.

Tia

GemIMG_20190303_162134_640.jpg

Hi all.

I picked up our first Cali last week and she truly is a beauty.
To test things initially, I camped last Saturday with my son on the drive. (Roof down as it was a windy one!)
When I opened the blinds and removed the internal thermal blinds from the cab there was a lot of condensation.
Is this normal and is there a way of dealing with it? I wouldn't want condensation to ruin anything internally.

Tia

GemView attachment 42097
Yes, ventilation. Did you have a Downwind Front window open?
With two of you sleeping in the vehicle then you would have breathed out approximately 500mls of water and this condenses on the coldest areas, the windows.
The roof Bellows has vents that help but with roof closed you need a window open 2cms and use the Parking Heater.

Tip - Get some front window Rain Deflectors, Climair or Dubreflecta. Even VW make some stick on ones.

What do you think will happen when you sleep in a bedroom with all the doors and windows closed?
Plus the fact you cook in a Cali (at least i do) , and maybe having a dog(s) ,....
Ventilation is the key as said above by @WelshGas .
A lot also depends on the weather offcoarse.

Outside isolating windscreencover also helps.

Screenshot_20190309-013847_Chrome.jpg A little fresh air will do the world of good!

Internal window blinds don’t help either, external ones help reduce condensation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Gemma,

It’s totally normal, so don’t worry. As already mentioned, you can buy wind deflectors (We have the Dubflecta ones) which allow you to open the two front cab windows a couple of centimetres, without letting any rain in.

Condensation is not exactly high on the list of things you think about during your first camp out. I guarantee most of us didn’t even think about it. How was it by the way? Did your little boy enjoy it as much as you?

Hi Gemma,

It’s totally normal, so don’t worry. As already mentioned, you can buy wind deflectors (We have the Dubflecta ones) which allow you to open the two front cab windows a couple of centimetres, without letting any rain in.

Condensation is not exactly high on the list of things you think about during your first camp out. I guarantee most of us didn’t even think about it. How was it by the way? Did your little boy enjoy it as much as you?

Thank you so much for understanding it isn't the first thing to think of when starting out and wrestling a VERY excited boy into the van for the first time.

He absolutely loved it thank you.... He was sound asleep by 8pm but woke at 4, realised where we were and it was game over!

I'll definitely look at the deflectors you mentioned. Our van came with loads of accessories and I'm still working my way through them to figure out what they are and how they're used. It's a learning experience for sure.

Thanks so much for your help

Yes, ventilation. Did you have a Downwind Front window open?
With two of you sleeping in the vehicle then you would have breathed out approximately 500mls of water and this condenses on the coldest areas, the windows.
The roof Bellows has vents that help but with roof closed you need a window open 2cms and use the Parking Heater.

Tip - Get some front window Rain Deflectors, Climair or Dubreflecta. Even VW make some stick on ones.
Thank you.... That's helpful to know

Hiw.muc
Hi .we use an external thermal silverscreens cover and don't suffer with condensation at all, far better than the internal blinds and less faff.
How much are they?

Totally agree with WelshGas. Ventilation is the key. You are enclosed in a steel box with windows and you expel moisture when breathing. Heating helps but make sure there is some ventilation and there will be no dampness.

As @WelshGas has said on earlier threads. When you insulate the screen or any other surface you are not getting rid of the moisture, it will still be present and will condense on another cold surface, probably out of sight.

Thank you so much for understanding it isn't the first thing to think of when starting out and wrestling a VERY excited boy into the van for the first time.

He absolutely loved it thank you.... He was sound asleep by 8pm but woke at 4, realised where we were and it was game over!

I'll definitely look at the deflectors you mentioned. Our van came with loads of accessories and I'm still working my way through them to figure out what they are and how they're used. It's a learning experience for sure.

Thanks so much for your help

Shhhhhhhh look what's included in the bundle of stuff which came with her....

I'm sorted it seems

Screenshot_20190307-100705.jpg Screenshot_20190307-100705.jpg

As @WelshGas has said on earlier threads. When you insulate the screen or any other surface you are not getting rid of the moisture, it will still be present and will condense on another cold surface, probably out of sight.
Yes, have a feel at the bottom of the upstairs bed where the little make up piece is next time you go camping! The moisture condenses on the metal bits.

not in my opinion you have the isotop internal liner so not needed

Back