Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Configuration changes coming?

Quentin SF

Quentin SF

Vehicle
Just browsing
The California configurator has vanished from the VW site.

I used the online chat to ask about it and the guy told me that they'd been taken offline for some changes and would be back around the end of next week. I wonder if that's changes to the web site or changes to the van? :)

Reactions: Sad
or price changes? :eek:

Our dealer said June for the next price rises... maybe the manuals are returning??!

That’s got to be a good thing.
Right...???

Last edited:
I'm hoping the Edition will be released and added.

Hello everyone. Have been lurking and researching for a long time here and finally decided to bite the bullet. After putting down a deposit on Saturday for a new Ocean I contacted the dealer this morning with my final specs. Have just heard that VW are not taking any new orders now and we will need to wait until the end of May for the MY19 (with a possible delivery 12 weeks after that). Very disappointed as we thought we had our summer planned!

So any ideas what changes we can expect with a MY19 version (spec, prices etc)?

Hello everyone. Have been lurking and researching for a long time here and finally decided to bite the bullet. After putting down a deposit on Saturday for a new Ocean I contacted the dealer this morning with my final specs. Have just heard that VW are not taking any new orders now and we will need to wait until the end of May for the MY19 (with a possible delivery 12 weeks after that). Very disappointed as we thought we had our summer planned!

So any ideas what changes we can expect with a MY19 version (spec, prices etc)?
Try a few other dealers. I don’t know which one you have spoken to so far, but it is quite possible that they have just used their allocation up. All dealers are not equal and some have a bigger order allocation than others. Try Liverpool, SMG Tonbridge(?), Listers Coventry and Droitwich. You might find that you can place an order right away. Don’t be afraid to ask the dealer if they still have order allocation available.

Oh dear! Sounds either like the dealer doesn't have allocation as mentioned above or VW are planning another price rise (which our dealer is expecting, he mentioned it to us last week) - probably 1st June he thinks.

The ordering, delivery etc of a California really is quite an experience. One that will test your patience. It's just like VW don't want people to buy them.. They certainly don't make it easy.

Thanks mccp That's a good suggestion as I didn't realise they might have an allocation I will contact some other dealers. The configurator has been down this weekend and the dealer did mention MY19. So now in two minds as to whether I should be waiting to see if there is some new desirable spec or as itguy suggests is it more likely just a price rise.

You're not wrong itguy about the stresses of this process. Several days devoted to 'spec decision' making over the weekend and now a brick wall. Will get there eventually...:headbang

Have I missed something, or is this essentially a collection of existing options plus a decals pack?
Somewhat, but it depends on the cost of the Edition vs adding those to a standard van. Plus, you can have a yellow one!

Have I missed something, or is this essentially a collection of existing options plus a decals pack?

Genuine question, not being funny about it.

That's what it is, past experience show that the special editions do hold their value really well, depends on pricing I guess.

On the Kombi, the Edition is around £3600 more than the highline and the options add up to around 5k, without taking into account the wrap to the roof and decals.

The California configurator has vanished from the VW site.

I used the online chat to ask about it and the guy told me that they'd been taken offline for some changes and would be back around the end of next week. I wonder if that's changes to the web site or changes to the van? :)
I wonder if it is to do with the engines they are offering. I started making enquiries about six weeks ago and could configure then with only a petrol engine. It's all very frustrating but thankfully I still have my trusty 2008 SE.

We’re just about to buy a Kombi highline works vehicle but need a lwb, looks like Edition only available as swb :(

We’re just about to buy a Kombi highline works vehicle but need a lwb, looks like Edition only available as swb :(
Whilst the California is missing from the configurator I, for the hell of it, costed the Highline transporter to the same(ish) specification as my Ocean.
The result came out at £45,797, this presumably without most of the on the road tax that California's suffer. Wow.

The result came out at £45,797, this presumably without most of the on the road tax that California's suffer.
Sure the road tax is not included in the config' price and a highligh tranporter + over £40k would be the same as a California ?

Sure the road tax is not included in the config' price and a highligh tranporter + over £40k would be the same as a California ?
Nah, light goods vehicle is taxed at £250, no mention of the over £40000 increased impost or next tax band increase etc in the government vehicle tax rate.
Light goods vehicles (TC39)
Registered on or after 1 March 2001 and not over 3,500kg revenue weight (also known as maximum or gross vehicle weight).

Vehicle Single 12 month payment Single 12 month payment by Direct Debit Total of 12 monthly instalments by Direct Debit Single 6 month payment 6 months by Direct Debit
Light goods vehicle £250 £250 £262.50 £137.50 £131.25

Nah, light goods vehicle is taxed at £250, no mention of the over £40000 increased impost or next tax band increase etc in the government vehicle tax rate.
Does make you think, add a slide pod and 3rd party raising roof, bed ,windows,

You’ll get more discount on the Kombi, and I think £1500 finance contribution might be £1750 have to check. Was that before vat though?

Genuine question, not being funny about it.
When manufacturers start to introduce well optioned special editions that usually means one of two things:

1. There's a new model coming and they are trying to use up the stuff in the factory parts bins.
2. They are trying to boost flagging sales figures.

I doubt if it's number 1 yet so the question is, has the UK Cali started to become just that bit too expensive for UK buyers?

This looks like a pretty half hearted attempt at a special edition. A couple of options added and some black sticky plastic. Hardly something to get that excited about!

Last edited:
I am trying to get a better feel for what the MY19 version will actually be. Having read this threat I have not heard of any significant changes apart from a Special Edition - which to me is just adding features that the base model should have anyway. Though is there a facelift - as that is a biggie for me? When does the MY19 model actually come out in the UK? As I am thinking of upgrading my 2017 to an MY18 version (NZ spec) - so 204PS versus 180PS, still 4Motion, Adaptive Cruise Control, 0 KM's plus new 3 year warranty for an estimated $15K NZ (around $7,500 pounds). I would appreciate your thoughts?

I don't think a facelift is expected here in the UK. I would imagine the MY19 will either have very minor upgrades and probably just a minor option added and a price rise to cover the included option!

Back