Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Confirmation of Wheel Size - 2021 Beach

Tarquers

Tarquers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Having searched extensively, I think I have the right answer but looking for confirmation. Have ordered a 150 4motion Beach that will come with 215/60R17 wheels and tyres, and I would like to purchase a set of 16 inch alloys to run winter tyres (215/65R16 for those that are interested).

Having seen a set for sale on the forum would be keen to pick them up but just want to make sure that 16 inch rims do fit. As the van won’t arrive until February I can’t wait to test fit, and have an opportunity to ship with some furniture in the coming weeks hence the question.

I have seen a number of owners saying their van in similar spec came with 16 inch wheels, but as they are not an option in the local configurator, the dealer is not sure so hoping to get confirmation from owners with experience. Thanks!

Having searched extensively, I think I have the right answer but looking for confirmation. Have ordered a 150 4motion Beach that will come with 215/60R17 wheels and tyres, and I would like to purchase a set of 16 inch alloys to run winter tyres (215/65R16 for those that are interested).

Having seen a set for sale on the forum would be keen to pick them up but just want to make sure that 16 inch rims do fit. As the van won’t arrive until February I can’t wait to test fit, and have an opportunity to ship with some furniture in the coming weeks hence the question.

I have seen a number of owners saying their van in similar spec came with 16 inch wheels, but as they are not an option in the local configurator, the dealer is not sure so hoping to get confirmation from owners with experience. Thanks!
The California comes with 2 sizes of brake calipers. Either 16" size all round or 16" on the rear and 17" size on the front. The fact that you say your Beach has 17" tyres leads me to think you have the larger brake calipers on the front so the smaller wheels will only fit on the rear and would foul the larger calipers on the front.

IMO, not possible.
When I ordered my Cali the seller told me that it was not possible to have 16 "on a 4motion.

@WelshGas and @Wesel I suspect that this is something that VW are hiding, for example, the Coast 150 hp on the UK site comes with 16s as standard, but the identical vehicle in Germany comes with 17s. No other difference, just a way of keeping the base cost of a Coast in the UK down.

I can see no mechanical reason for 4Motion making a difference, but would imagine bigger rotors on the larger engine. Interestingly found a post from @soulstyledevon back in 2017 who says his Ocean originally came with 16s so perhaps I can get confirmation there. Maybe time to visit the dealer with a tape measure and see what size rotors are there.

Not trying to will this to be true, but 215/65R/16 is published as an official size. Anyone out there with a new beach that can check the sticker on the door frame to confirm approved sizes?

@WelshGas and @Wesel I suspect that this is something that VW are hiding, for example, the Coast 150 hp on the UK site comes with 16s as standard, but the identical vehicle in Germany comes with 17s. No other difference, just a way of keeping the base cost of a Coast in the UK down.

I can see no mechanical reason for 4Motion making a difference, but would imagine bigger rotors on the larger engine. Interestingly found a post from @soulstyledevon back in 2017 who says his Ocean originally came with 16s so perhaps I can get confirmation there. Maybe time to visit the dealer with a tape measure and see what size rotors are there.

Not trying to will this to be true, but 215/65R/16 is published as an official size. Anyone out there with a new beach that can check the sticker on the door frame to confirm approved sizes?
Just found the following sentence roughly translated:

”Braking system adapted to the minimum wheelsize of 17 inches”

which while it answers my original question, does still leave me wondering. Oh well!

Just found the following sentence roughly translated:

”Braking system adapted to the minimum wheelsize of 17 inches”

which while it answers my original question, does still leave me wondering. Oh well!
The 17" brakes are standard on the 180/204 hp engines but an optional extra on the smaller engine in the UK.
If VW have fitted 17" wheels to your Beach then I would presume it has the larger calipers either as standard, an option you have selected or you have picked 17" wheels instead of the standard 16".

The 17" brakes are standard on the 180/204 hp engines but an optional extra on the smaller engine in the UK.
If VW have fitted 17" wheels to your Beach then I would presume it has the larger calipers either as standard, an option you have selected or you have picked 17" wheels instead of the standard 16".
Only option was for 17 or 18 inch wheels. Checked Polish and German configurator. German site allows 16 inch with the 105 hp (guess on hp) engine only. UK coast, with 150 hp engine allows for 16” bizarrely. Surely Coast with 150 engine is heavier than beach with 150 therefore the brake argument no longer makes sense.

If new Beach is coming with 17" I would avoid any possibility of the 16" wheels not fitting and stick with 17" only. Your spare will be 17".

If new Beach is coming with 17" I would avoid any possibility of the 16" wheels not fitting and stick with 17" only. Your spare will be 17".
Thanks for your comment and it is the sensible option, but I suspect that someone on the forum will have tried this first hand. I am not worried about the spare size (steel 17”) as the two sizes I am looking at for summer and winter are identical.

Will wait and see if anyone has tried this before making a decision. Like many things VW, the choices do not necessarily reflect the reality...

Only option was for 17 or 18 inch wheels. Checked Polish and German configurator. German site allows 16 inch with the 105 hp (guess on hp) engine only. UK coast, with 150 hp engine allows for 16” bizarrely. Surely Coast with 150 engine is heavier than beach with 150 therefore the brake argument no longer makes sense.
Unladen weights might be different but not the Maximum Gross Weight.

Thanks for your comment and it is the sensible option, but I suspect that someone on the forum will have tried this first hand. I am not worried about the spare size (steel 17”) as the two sizes I am looking at for summer and winter are identical.

Will wait and see if anyone has tried this before making a decision. Like many things VW, the choices do not necessarily reflect the reality...
May help, not certain though.
On your order did it show as 17" chassis, I deduced this to mean the larger brakes are fitted.

May help, not certain though.
On your order did it show as 17" chassis, I deduced this to mean the larger brakes are fitted.
My order is in Polish and my translation is not great but I will have a look. I suspect there is only gong to be one way to find out!

there are a couple of European members who have 199 hp 4motion vans that came with 16 inch wheels so I may be in luck.

The Beach is rated for 7 passengers plus luggage. In practice it’s very easy for that to be heavier than a Coast.

My order is in Polish and my translation is not great but I will have a look. I suspect there is only gong to be one way to find out!

there are a couple of European members who have 199 hp 4motion vans that came with 16 inch wheels so I may be in luck.
199 no option in UK comes with 17" standard.

Not referring to a UK model.
I know, referring to the inability to find VW information relating to your spec. We no longer have the Beach and can only relate what is UK spec Coast or Ocean data.

Why are you so concerned on getting 16"?
If the vehicle comes with 17" stick with 17".
After a particular set of off road/winter tyres at keep me at original tyre size. Not looking to have a larger diameter tyre.

After a particular set of off road/winter tyres at keep me at original tyre size. Not looking to have a larger diameter tyre.
Sorry but don't get that. The 16" and 17" versions of that tyre would have the same circumference and rolling radius. Just the sidewall on the 17" would be a few mm less to compensate for the 17" over the 16. Otherwise tread depth will be the same.

Sorry but don't get that. The 16" and 17" versions of that tyre would have the same circumference and rolling radius. Just the sidewall on the 17" would be a few mm less to compensate for the 17" over the 16. Otherwise tread depth will be the same.
Some manufacturers of winter and all season, Michelin for example, have sizes and load ratings for certain models available for 16s that are not available on 17s. Since OP is looking for a specific model, that may be the case.

The tyre I want is only available in a larger 17” size but is the right size in 16”. Yes I could change tyre to find a match in 17” but I am looking for the larger sidewall.

The tyre I want is only available in a larger 17” size but is the right size in 16”. Yes I could change tyre to find a match in 17” but I am looking for the larger sidewall.
[/QUOTE
You could go up to 65 profile in a 225 width using a 17" wheel rim. Lots of designs to choose from. No great speedo error - probably more accurate.

Sample selection

So no 16" for the 4motion ....
Just been to see a chap locally who has a beach T6 4motion with 16” wheels on. So seems it can be done. Now I guess I wait to see if I am getting bigger brakes...