Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Confused Newbie: Cali Beach Specs!

Batmobile

Batmobile

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Hi everyone, it looks like the fantasy is close to becoming reality and I am trying to put together the specs for a T6 Cali Beach (most likely). It will be my only vehicle and the daily driver, as well as used for outdoor activities and photography trips. I am looking at a 150bhp DSG... and I am hugely excited!

I am unsure about a few things and would really appreciate any guidance.

Three seat benches: I understand that the two seat bench is removable. Is the three seat bench removable too? If I go for a three seat bench and get two second row swivel seats, can these second row seats be easily removed too? Do you have to remove the bench first (from the rear) and then slide out the second row seats and then put the bench back in? I am fit and have two sons, so weight is less of an issue (as long as its a fair two man lift). I quite like the idea of being able to have a 7-seater, camper and van all in one. This is one area where the Ocean misses out.

Parking Heaters: I'm a photographer and will shoot a lot in winter and need to seek refuge in the vehicle a lot, so a parking heater is a must I think. however, I am completely confused as to the difference between the four heater items in the brochure image below. Can someone explain what they each do?

California heaters.JPG
Stereo/Sound: I'd like good sound on the move and see the Beach does not have the very expensive Dynaudio 11 speaker digital sound package as an option. What is the 8 speaker system like that can be had with the Beach? If it hard to get an aftermarket upgrade to get great sound installed?

Uprated Alternators and Batteries: What do you advise here? What would require a person to upgrade the main battery and alternator or the leisure battery?

Wheels & Ride: Is there a ride quality difference between the standard 16 inch wheels and 17 inch? What impact does the uprated roll bars have on road and on tracks? Does the standard vehicle have a lot of body roll?

Privacy Glass: Recommended - does it keep the interior much cooler in the sun? I know the Beach lacks lamination. Is this really about security, making break ins harder?

Sorry for lots of questions and hope some of you can help in whole or part!

I will try my best to answer

Q1 The 3 seater bench does come out and is removed from behind the front seats not from the rear of the vehicle. If you had the extra seats, they would form row 2 and would be taken out first followed by the bench or put in last after the fitting the bench. They are very heavy.

Q2 I went for the programmable air heater with remote control. This allows you to sit in the Cali nice and warm. The remote works from a good distance so you can fire up the heating prior to getting back to the vehicle.

Q3 8 speaker systems isn't brilliant, 4 standard speakers and 4 tweeters. I upgraded the front speakers to good quality speakers and put in a small under seat kenwood subwoofer. Sound is now great and not a massive job.

Q4 I have the standard set up and it seems fine. When the battery needs replacing I will be upgrading it to an Optima which should give even better performance.

Q5 again I have the standard set up with 17 inch wheels. There is some body roll but I accept it is a van. I can live with that rather than throwing more money at it.

Q6 I have privacy glass but I cannot tell if it makes that much difference. When it's hot it's hot and getting the hot air out of the vehicle is the only thing that makes it cooler. Can't say about added security as it is only glass and not unbreakable

Hope this helps a bit

Haha Tom - i have been there trying to learn about the kit and speccing an expensive vehicle. There is lots of reading on this forum but most of your queries have been discussed on here at some point. My Beach is on its way from Germany and i hope i have got it about right.

I have gone for lots of standard stuff - wheels / stereo / power etc, but specced the parking heater, reversing sensors, priv glass, awning, added rear opening window / fogs / heated screen and internal light pack ....... thinking maybe i should have upped the stereo to give me carplay options ........ also on reflection dont think the grape yellow is the most discrete wild camping colour. Cant wait

Thanks Rich20 - very useful info. Sounds like the 7 seat Beach may be the way to go, because moving seats may be a pig, but at least its possible and being able to remove the second row seats without removing the bench is handy. I expect it would spend most of its time going from 5 to 7 seater and back, rather than being stripped out entirely in the back.

Tim, thanks for sharing your spec list and the best of luck with your new Cali! I noticed that the rear parking sensors are more expensive than the camera. Are the sensors preferable for various reasons? Also the heated screen: I have been trying to understand what that means in practice - can you elaborate? FWIW I think grape yellow is a cracking colour, but like you say, it isn't going to blend in! That said, I'm not sure white is any less discrete!

I'm definitely making progress, but have not been able to figure out of the leather multifunction steering wheel includes cruise control. The non-leather one states that it does in the brochure, but the leather one omits any reference to cruise control! Umm, VW certainly keep you guessing with their brochures!

I'm definitely making progress, but have not been able to figure out of the leather multifunction steering wheel includes cruise control. The non-leather one states that it does in the brochure, but the leather one omits any reference to cruise control! Umm, VW certainly keep you guessing with their brochures!
The mulitfunction steering wheel does not include cruise control.
It just puts the cruise control buttons on the wheel if you have ordered cruise control separately.
Would have been a bargain if it was MFSW and CC!

The mulitfunction steering wheel does not include cruise control.
It just puts the cruise control buttons on the wheel if you have ordered cruise control separately.
Would have been a bargain if it was MFSW and CC!

How odd. They say in the brochure and price list that for £204 "Cruise control with multifunction steering wheel' so if that does not actually include cruise control, its pretty awful use of words! In the brochure it states "8T2 Cruise Control (multi-function steering wheel)" so again, if that does not include cruise control then its very misleading.

How does one order cruise control separately? I only see the very expensive adaptive cruise control 99mph for the Beach. I only want basic cruise control - nothing fancy. What do I need to order?

How odd. They say in the brochure and price list that for £204 "Cruise control with multifunction steering wheel' so if that does not actually include cruise control, its pretty awful use of words! In the brochure it states "8T2 Cruise Control (multi-function steering wheel)" so again, if that does not include cruise control then its very misleading.

How does one order cruise control separately? I only see the very expensive adaptive cruise control 99mph for the Beach. I only want basic cruise control - nothing fancy. What do I need to order?
Hi Tom i believe cruise control is now standard equipment - all part of the reduced emissions EURO6 set up - low resistance tyres / engine cut-out / Blue additive and cruise control - thats my understanding

Hi Tom i believe cruise control is now standard equipment - all part of the reduced emissions EURO6 set up - low resistance tyres / engine cut-out / Blue additive and cruise control - thats my understanding
Really? Do you think my week 47 build might have had it added???? That would be a nice present! Where did you hear that Tim?

Privacy glass imho is a must. :) I use mine as a changing room and makeup station on photoshoots. :)

Really? Do you think my week 47 build might have had it added???? That would be a nice present! Where did you hear that Tim?
I didnt order CC because that was my understanding - i think ours were built the same week Davey - i will dig out my paperwork and see if i can find it, but the spec sheets keep changing. if id have known then what i know now, i would have delayed placing the order until all this confusion was out of the way - poor show taking the shine off things

I didnt order CC because that was my understanding - i think ours were built the same week Davey - i will dig out my paperwork and see if i can find it, but the spec sheets keep changing. if id have known then what i know now, i would have delayed placing the order until all this confusion was out of the way - poor show taking the shine off things
yeah - it's remarkable that they don't know what they're doing! The dealers must find it very frustrating not knowing what exactly the product is!
Cool about synchronised build weeks. Do you know what stage they're up to? Have they been built and ready to ship?

I was told by VWCS that they are built the week after build week. Yeah, sounds crazy but this is VW!

And then its another 3 or 4 weeks before its here in the UK and then you have to wait for the dealer to decide to queue it for prep. It's all quite frustrating given the investment we make.

I'm pretty certain they added it as standard to the T5.1 in 2013, along with the other Blue Motion stuff (low resistance tyres, engine cut off at idle etc.) so I'd expect it to be standard on the T6 as well.

I'm pretty certain they added it as standard to the T5.1 in 2013, along with the other Blue Motion stuff (low resistance tyres, engine cut off at idle etc.) so I'd expect it to be standard on the T6 as well.
What annoys me is the highline spec t6 van has parking sensors and MFSW and CC as standard. We pay loads more for something that isn't a delivery van and we get less as standard.

I spoke to a dealership and clarified which type of parking heater I need. I could not clarify the other question, because the Cali expert was on holiday till Mon (when I hope to sort out the cruise control and steering wheel mystery).

Here is what it looks like now. Prob going for Katamo black interior, with two second row seats so I can use it to support my business if need be. Its an expensive way of doing a Beach, with the wheels and metallic, plus silver awning housing, but I like the balance of classic colours/tones and not too stately home. While the interior will be darker, it won't look mucky on the floor as quickly I am guessing. But hey, tomorrow I will probably change my mind!Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 00.30.04.png

I spoke to a dealership and clarified which type of parking heater I need. I could not clarify the other question, because the Cali expert was on holiday till Mon (when I hope to sort out the cruise control and steering wheel mystery).

Here is what it looks like now. Prob going for Katamo black interior, with two second row seats so I can use it to support my business if need be. Its an expensive way of doing a Beach, with the wheels and metallic, plus silver awning housing, but I like the balance of classic colours/tones and not too stately home. While the interior will be darker, it won't look mucky on the floor as quickly I am guessing. But hey, tomorrow I will probably change my mind!View attachment 11141
Which wheels are you going for?

At the moment, it looks like the 17" Cascavel black/silver ones. They seem to transform the look of the vehicle.
Nice. If you were just going for the devonport (the ocean standard 17's) then you can get those from eBay for around £650. Cheaper than through VW.

I just spoke to a VW dealer and he confirmed that cruise control costs £204 and the multifunction steering wheel is another £330 or so. He said the VW description on the price list was confusing and that £204 only gets you the cruise control and not the steering wheel mentioned in the description.

hi I am having similar issues, my understanding is from the dec2015 brochure that cruise control is standard also leather steering wheel and gear knob is standard though the Nov 2015 price list confuses this somewhat with cruise control as an option and leather multifunction steering wheel also an option. Does anyone know what steering wheel you would get if you didn't choose either of these options? I've would it at least have volume control? They really need to put out a new comprehensive options list.

Probably one like mine which has just a horn on it. The right stick can control all sorts of things like audio track and even the Phone but not volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: