Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Control console!

S

scruffy

Hello everyone. 26000 miles on our Cali and the little knob on the centre control console for the roof / fridge has come loose. It's hard to get it to change the options / functions etc. Our Cali is in with VW Swansea having its roof corrosion problem (yes another one) getting fixed (after a 20 month wait) so I asked if the console could be fixed. Apparently a whole new unit is required - £911!!!!!!!!!!! Has anyone else had this problem? We are so careful it is unbelievable. We are outside of warranty - got van from new about 3 years ago! HELP!!!! Thanks for listening - Mark

Hello everyone. 26000 miles on our Cali and the little knob on the centre control console for the roof / fridge has come loose. It's hard to get it to change the options / functions etc. Our Cali is in with VW Swansea having its roof corrosion problem (yes another one) getting fixed (after a 20 month wait) so I asked if the console could be fixed. Apparently a whole new unit is required - £911!!!!!!!!!!! Has anyone else had this problem? We are so careful it is unbelievable. We are outside of warranty - got van from new about 3 years ago! HELP!!!! Thanks for listening - Mark

Try to search the forum. I am certain I have seen a thread on exactly that issue …

I don't know whether to laugh or cry that after all these years of failing knobs that a vw customer could be asked for £911 to replace a £20 part (that vw could probably source for 50p if they put their mind and volumes to it).

I don't know whether to laugh or cry that after all these years of failing knobs that a vw customer could be asked for £911 to replace a £20 part (that vw could probably source for 50p if they put their mind and volumes to it).
I gather VW have a repair kit for this problem, still very expensive, pity the Dealership are not upto date on this. But to be expected.

I gather VW have a repair kit for this problem, still very expensive, pity the Dealership are not upto date on this. But to be expected.
Really? There is repair kit? Looking at another reply from a kind soul above (thank you) a replacement knob is £20. It still kind of works with a fiddle which suggests it is a loose connection. Thanks - will try VW customer care next.

I was really shocked. Thanks for your time to reply. Mark

Really? There is repair kit? Looking at another reply from a kind soul above (thank you) a replacement knob is £20. It still kind of works with a fiddle which suggests it is a loose connection. Thanks - will try VW customer care next.
It's not normally a loose connection. The Knob or Button has a castellated core which wears and then no longer engages to scroll the menu.
This is repairable with the replacement sold by the shop .
Other problems with the Screen can be repaired by a company in the Netherlands.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/control-panel-display-fix-company.16932/

Hello! Will you let me know how you get on pl Ade and if it is straight forward? Did you have same issue as us then? Thanks - Mark

Hi Mark,

Took about 20 minutes because I was ultra careful. Its Very straightforward. My knob was not broken inside just worn. One item don't overtighten the pcb as that can affect the switch operation.

All good and ready for Goodwood FoS glamping next weekend.

Hi Mark,

Took about 20 minutes because I was ultra careful. Its Very straightforward. My knob was not broken inside just worn. One item don't overtighten the pcb as that can affect the switch operation.

All good and ready for Goodwood FoS glamping next weekend.

I did the same fix and all was well for a couple of weeks then it developed a new issue. The knob rotates and engages but the central push to select failed. Big problem! So I stripped and reseated the shop supplied new knob. Same - good for a couple of weeks then it developed the fail on central push to click. Means you can't access any menus. That was part way through a France trip so I stripped again but this time assembled without the new £20 knob. No issues now but have to use a small flat blade driver to operate it. I'm considering filing the outer skirt from the replacement knob so I can fit and adjust it without taking the whole unit apart. Maybe I got a duff spare from the shop? Hard to say.

Anyway, do the fix but keep the tools in the van to strip in case you have to, or you're in big trouble! You need a 6 torx driver and a flat blade to do the job.

Let us know if all goes well for you!

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like most people on here sooner or later the same things happen to us all. I was wondering if anyone who has done the fix has done it successfully. I’ve looked on YouTube and there’s vids on there showing the strip down but none actually showing getting the unit out of its place. Is there a particular way of getting the unit out without damaging it further? I’d like to hear from someone who has actually done it successfully themselves.

Like most people on here sooner or later the same things happen to us all. I was wondering if anyone who has done the fix has done it successfully. I’ve looked on YouTube and there’s vids on there showing the strip down but none actually showing getting the unit out of its place. Is there a particular way of getting the unit out without damaging it further? I’d like to hear from someone who has actually done it successfully themselves.
Are you referring to removing the Control Panel from the vehicle or something else?

Back