Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

control panel backlight

Andy

Andy

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I took my Cali to local van centre for a few warranty repairs a couple of weeks ago. One of the items was the control panel backlight not switching off when camping in the cali. It is bright enough to light up the whole van. It does however switch off when driving after about 30 seconds. They said there was no fault as it behaved the same as a same year cali they had on site.
So I am still covering it with a teatowel, not good in a £45 K vehicle !!
I shall be taking this up with VW customer services. Before I do so I would like to know what other peoples backlight does.

So It would be a real help if folk could tell me whether their control panel backlight switches off at night or not together with the year of your cali. I will then have some ammunition when I call VW CS.

Thanks.

This subject has come up several times before.
If your backlight is staying on then it is faulty and the complete panel should be replaced under warranty.
My cali is a 2009 pre facelift and the backlight is off by default - it comes on when you touch any of the control buttons but switches off again after about a minute.

Thanks for your replies guys.

If your backlight is staying on then it is faulty and the complete panel should be replaced under warranty.

Yes Freely I know that but van centre did not agree & would not do anything with it, so I need to take it up with VW CS. I would like to be able to say that I know of XYZ Calis that turn off, so I started this thread.

Andy, mine stays on also when parked up/camping but it does go off whilst driving.

Mine always switches off after about 30 sec.

I often wish it stayed on a bit longer...

Andy said:

Yes Freely I know that but van centre did not agree & would not do anything with it, so I need to take it up with VW CS. I would like to be able to say that I know of XYZ Calis that turn off, so I started this thread.

Have you tried another dealer?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Freeley said:
Andy said:

Have you tried another dealer?

No, that's another option but as I work varying hours it is difficult to get it to a dealer. Obviously I will have to do so eventually but I want to be sure it will get fixed & not leave it to luck.

Mine also turns off....

Handy little light it is to!

Turns off after approx 20 sec

Mine stays on the whole time too. The screen brightens when a button is pressed and dims after about 30 secs, but then stays like this. Only when the ignition is on does the screen turn off after a short time. I have a 2011 Cali.

Mine a 2011 Cali, 180.
Screen turned off / dimmed substantially after about 30secs. Panel changed in 2012, now stays lit all night! Keeps me awake! Obviously not normal from the comments made here.... Feel kinda bad to ask for repair yet again??? May try a reset tommorrow....

So it would appear that the majority switch off after around 30 seconds.
I will try ringing customer care next week.

I think mine does as well it does dim after a while but still bright at night :headbang

Hi Andy,
I still remember your stunned silence when our light went out whilst you were talking to us! Seems crazy that VW dealers are giving out such varied information....don't they realise that owners are now possibly more knowledgeable than they are given the fantastic info in here!!!

I'm off to Listers Worcester with what I consider a faulty battery charger. I'll be posting about that experience next week!

Hope you are well.
Iain & Shani

Iain&Shani said:
Hi Andy,
I still remember your stunned silence when our light went out whilst you were talking to us! Seems crazy that VW dealers are giving out such varied information....don't they realise that owners are now possibly more knowledgeable than they are given the fantastic info in here!!!

I'm off to Listers Worcester with what I consider a faulty battery charger. I'll be posting about that experience next week!

Hope you are well.
Iain & Shani

Hi Iain, good luck with the battery charger.
Van centre assumed that as a stock cali the same year as mine behaved the same that it is working corectly !? Not a very scientific way of checking a waranty claim !

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Mine dims but backlight stays on while any control panel function is being used: ie fridge, hook up or heater on timed. The rest of the time the backlight goes off after about 20 secs.

2010 180 manual

Seems like pot luck as to whether you get one that works properly!

Freeley said:
Seems like pot luck as to whether you get one that works properly!

It sounds like it ! Not very good quality control somewhere !

Freeley said:
My cali is a 2009 pre facelift and the backlight is off by default - it comes on when you touch any of the control buttons but switches off again after about a minute.

Hello, I have an 09 with control panel display which is becoming very hard to read... any ideas??
DAve

Dave Lyne said:
Freeley said:

Hello, I have an 09 with control panel display which is becoming very hard to read... any ideas??
DAve

Having made some enquiries it seems as though it MAY be possible to fix it by replacing a cable inside the unit which would be a lot cheaper than having to replace the whole thing for about £600.
volksvans on here has told me that he can carry out this repair which I would say is probably worth a punt.
He's based in Derbyshire so a long way for me, I've not had time to look into it yet due to work pressures but should be quieter once I'm back from holiday and will hopefully sort something then.

Back