Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Control panel button/emergency roof lower

bangorlad

bangorlad

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Just replaced a dodgy control panel button which went ok thanks to all the info on here. Lots already written about this but thought I'd add a couple of things in case it might help someone else with an ageing T5-se...The button was from the shop/Campervanbits and is genuine VW though not sure why they send the fascia too (not complaining..)
  • Like others I found the the tangs on top of the unit awkward. I used a short tea spoon handle to release them and have noted that the centre of each tang is in line with the right and left edges of the LCD display in case I need to do it again
  • While it was out I decided it was a good idea to sort the emergency screw for lowering the roof. I saw VW must have marked the spot on the foam with a green pen (which is the least they could do;-). I cut a small square of foam away to expose the screw which should lessen the angst if I need to access it in future. This is 10mm up from the edge of the black plastic surround, 20mm in from the right edge and 30mm down from the top edge (photos). I just feel happier when I've rehearsed any crucial emergency procedure in comfort - another is accessing the front tow anchor before you're stuck in a muddy field at night with a tractor waiting...! And yes I do know where my roof tie down straps are too...;-)
  • Seems some confusion about whether the screws on the circuit board IMG_0714.jpgIMG_0716.jpgIMG_0719.jpgare T5 or T6 torx. Luckily I bought a set so was ok - it was T6.
  • All three connections on the back were quite tight to remove but never be tempted to pull the wires. I reconnected the smallest first then the larger similar style one followed by the large one with the clip - everything came back to life with no problem.
Left the roof down for the last couple of nights of our trip in case the button completely failed with it up. Now have it up in the sun to dry any residual damp from a rainy night....

Back