Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Control panel dead on 2017 Ocean

Chilmark

Chilmark

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We have the same problem with our 2017 Ocean went to drive at weekend and control panel dead, back light comes on for 10 secs but no display with ignition on or off and hook up plugged in and unplugged, have tried running engine to no avail, any advice please ?

2FCA0D07-4B1A-4521-8358-0846C887BCFC.jpeg

3F8259DC-2177-4273-9B7E-1D3056F7CADC.jpeg

35CC6531-17F8-4578-89DA-9E6A14E87021.jpeg

When you say 2017 is that early or late as there is a possibility of vw giving goodwill if you are only out by a few months...

There is a thread on here currently running at the moment about where you can get them repaired. But before that I’m sure there will be someone who can help you on here.

It’s a December 2016 2017 model year so sadly out of warranty
Have you checked the fuses for the Control Panel?
Resources section. Fuse information mainly by @Loz

I’ve been told there is one 5amp one underneath the passenger seat, is there more than one ?
I believe so, according to @Loz Fuse Diagram of the fuses in the lower Dashboard.
Check the fuses with a multimeter or swap with a known good replacement as sometimes they can fail but look ok to the naked eye.

Labeled on this version middle row at the top.

Attachments

• Fuse-Card.png
    Fuse-Card.png
    1 MB · Views: 73
Looked at 2 5A fuses one under passenger seat and one in main in main fuse board where bottle cooler is both look OK so not sure where else to look or what to try other than running up a huge bill at the VW dealer for a diagnostic check, surely a control panel shouldn't have gone in just 4 years, it was working before it went in for MPT but cant think that they would have plugged anything in to make it go wrong, so so bloody frustrating.

Looked at 2 5A fuses one under passenger seat and one in main in main fuse board where bottle cooler is both look OK so not sure where else to look or what to try other than running up a huge bill at the VW dealer for a diagnostic check, surely a control panel shouldn't have gone in just 4 years, it was working before it went in for MPT but cant think that they would have plugged anything in to make it go wrong, so so bloody frustrating.
According to @Loz in his picture above, there are 2 fuses for the Control Panel on the Fuse Board where the Bottle Cooler is.

Be nice to have another Cali to try control panel in to see if it’s the panel or fuses / wiring etc if it works in another one then can work out from there

I’ve deleted the images I posted to avoid confusion as original that @Loz posted is clearer.
It shows two fuses in the cup holder fuses related to control panel. With another one under the seat.
You checked all 3 ?

Mike

I checked the 3rd fuse down on the right as it suggested but can’t see where the other one is
As you mentioned the copy of the diagram is a fuzzy so not easy to work out

If it lights up, then its got power so the fuses will be
okay won't they? or am i missing something?

You need a friendly Cali owner to do a quick swap over
with a working panel.
I've got a spare one you could try but it would have to be posted
from Germany and then back to me, so that could be a bit costly.

The back light that comes on would be on a different circuit to the main display, as you mention ideally it would be best to check display in another Cali and check another display in my Cali that where I could work out where the problem is.. don’t really want to order a £600 control unit only to find it wasn’t that

Must be a cheaper option to get the original repaired by the good folks in Holland

I checked the 3rd fuse down on the right as it suggested but can’t see where the other one is
As you mentioned the copy of the diagram is a fuzzy so not easy to work out

Other one is 3rd one down in the middle
Brown 5amp
Below blue one Sc36 washers
Above red one Sc33 Diff Lock

Mike

Even if a fuse looks ok , either test it or swap it out with a known good one.

Yes will give that a try too tomorrow I shon a light from phone through fuses and they looked ok but will get some replacements tomoz or put a meter across them - thanks

Thank you will have another look tomorrow not sure it would have blown but it would be good as far cheaper than a new panel -,thanks for the info

In the end I took it in to VW for a diagnostic check they have checked all the wiring and concluded it the actual control panel that is at fault and want a hefty £936 to replace and fit which seems madness, it take about 2 minutes to take it out and replace it basically plug and play, rather surprising for a vehicle that is only just 4 years old with just 15600 on the clock, I have asked if they can get a contribution from VW as the thing has been fully serviced too, crazy money for what is realistically a £60 bit of plastic

In the end I took it in to VW for a diagnostic check they have checked all the wiring and concluded it the actual control panel that is at fault and want a hefty £936 to replace and fit which seems madness, it take about 2 minutes to take it out and replace it basically plug and play, rather surprising for a vehicle that is only just 4 years old with just 15600 on the clock, I have asked if they can get a contribution from VW as the thing has been fully serviced too, crazy money for what is realistically a £60 bit of plastic

Nothing would surprise me about VAG pricing, especially in respect of OEM replacement parts.

A seal on my late mum’s Citigo panoramic sunroof began to disintegrate and it was attributed to a bird pecking at the seal by the dealer (I won’t bore you with the detail of the BS both the dealer and Skoda/VAG responded to my warranty claim with).

The cost for the repair to the seal was £913.25.

I immediately traded the Citigo (with the disintegrating seal) for another Toyota, and vowed I would never purchase another, new, VAG product.

My wife is buying the new California. I wouldn’t.

The Forum Shop can probably get a replacement that you can fit, or contact

Verotronics BV
Kruburg 13
5632PG Eindhoven
Tel: 040-248 34 88
Fax: 040-248 34 81
Email: Info@verotronics.nl

Back