Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Control Panel Failures - VW Customer Services Statement

S

Stu

Guest User
I asked VW Customer Services to investigate the large number of recent failures on behalf of the forum and received the following statement.

It is a very company orientated response and I'm sure you wouldn't expect anything less however please do not use it as a springboard for meaningless negative comments but by all means please have a constructive discussion and if there are any points to go forward I can feed them back to VW directly -

VW Customer Services said:
Further to your email dated 31st August we have investigated the concerns over the roof panel control on the Volkswagen California.

Thank you for giving me time to investigate and respond to your email.

We monitor our vehicle range closely for any component failure and pride ourselves on acting swiftly should any trend become apparent. This is achieved by working closely with our excellent Van Centre Network and our Technical Experts within the UK and at the Factory. After speaking with our Master Technicians regarding your concerns with the Control Panel on the Volkswagen California, they can confirm there are no known issues.

There has been a slight increase in the parts sales on the Model 2012, but the total part replacement only equates to 5% of the California's that are on the United Kingdom roads to date.

We do take our reputation for quality very seriously but like any other manufacturer; we cannot guarantee that the many components which go into the complex build of our vehicles will never fail. That's why all new Volkswagens are supplied with a comprehensive three year/100,000 miles warranty and when it expires, owners do always have the option to extend this.

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles will always look to support our customers outside of the warranty period but we must take a number of factors into consideration. These include purchases and services within the Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle network and any repairs must be both diagnosed and carried out within one of our Authorised Repairers

We hold a massive stock of Volkswagen parts in our main distribution warehouse, we currently supply over 95% of all orders from our Centres are supplied the next day.

All genuine Volkswagen Parts are designed for our vehicles and tailored to fit, with a long life span assured. We do place the greatest emphasis on their reliability, particularly in those aspects which affect safety.

The parts satisfy the strictest statutory requirements of all countries with regard to design, function and service life.

Meaningless response, just as you would expect in this modern and honest world we live in....!!!!

Should they not do a recall, and fit updated parts rather than wait for the parts to fail and then haggle as if they are doing you a favour..?

5% of the total population is a much higher percentage of the 2012 population. Setting that aside, 95% reliability is pants. 99.7% is the entry figure for assemblies of this type. The VW letter admits it has a serious problem. I bet they have a lot more than 95% reliability on brakes, airbags, steering. In terms of technical complexity, the control unit is similar to the car radio. I bet they don't have to replace 1 in 20 of those under warranty.

BerndRos said:
Meaningless response, just as you would expect in this modern and honest world we live in....!!!!

Should they not do a recall, and fit updated parts rather than wait for the parts to fail and then haggle as if they are doing you a favour..?

A recall is normally restricted to matters which affect safety and require urgent or speedy action to rectify. These are notifiable to VOSA and the DVLA will be used to identify and inform current owners. What you mean is a campaign, where issues are resolved when the customer reports an applicable issue or when the vehicle visits the centre for servicing.

However, place yourself in VW's position. They have data to indicate only 5% of California on the UK roads has been affected - Would you rush around trying to replace every unit or would you utilise the manufacturers warranty (or goodwill system for vehicles out of warranty) to replace these items as necessary??

Graham said:
5% of the total population is a much higher percentage of the 2012 population. Setting that aside, 95% reliability is pants. 99.7% is the entry figure for assemblies of this type. The VW letter admits it has a serious problem. I bet they have a lot more than 95% reliability on brakes, airbags, steering. In terms of technical complexity, the control unit is similar to the car radio. I bet they don't have to replace 1 in 20 of those under warranty.

I think I'm inclined to agree with you Graham, 5% doesn't sound much on the face of it but I think it's quite a high number.

I would like to think that 5% has got to be quite close to a trigger point to conduct some further investigation. Also by linking it to 2012 MY might indicate a faulty batch or batches.

5% of the 2012 models sounds a huge amount. Do they mean 2012 calendar year? If so, we are only 3/4 of the way through the year. Even the "oldest" 2012 are only 9 months old, and some (like mine) only a few months old. Some haven't even been sold! The longer the 2012 models are in service, then presumably the more chance they have of failing. It could be a very different picture once all the 2012 Calis are 3 years old - I expect a much larger proportion would have failed by then. Or am I talking nonsense? (Stats was never my strong point - even though I have 2 maths A levels and a degree in Maths and Computing... :headwall )

--Nick

I think it's 5% of the overall number sold so far in the UK.

The MY 12 will have finished I think Nick and they'll be selling MY 13 now.

I'm not sure on what date they change over for T5 Cali but I recall from experience A3 changes in around May the previous year and A1 changes at around August the previous year.

Stu said:
The MY 12 will have finished I think Nick and they'll be selling MY 13 now.

Off topic, but I noticed Citygate have already pre-registered a showroom MY13 Cali on a 12 plate :eek:

Just interested in the figures here. If 5% were replaced in 2012, how many were replaced in 2011, 2010, 2009 etc?
If over the last 5 years, 5% were affected (each year), then does that not mean that over the last five years say 25% of vehicles have been affected? - A quarter is an awful lot! this of course doesn't account for repetition breakdowns on each vehicle.
On the plus side, our Cali is 18 months old and no problems reported yet!
I hope all you good peeps get your Cali's sorted soon and get out there travelling :)
Joe

joeaguilar said:
Just interested in the figures here. If 5% were replaced in 2012, how many were replaced in 2011, 2010, 2009 etc?
If over the last 5 years, 5% were affected (each year), then does that not mean that over the last five years say 25% of vehicles have been affected? - A quarter is an awful lot! this of course doesn't account for repetition breakdowns on each vehicle.
I hope all you good peeps get your Cali's sorted soon and get out there travelling :)
Joe

Sorry to pick up on this Joe but you've not interpreted what VW had said correctly

"There has been a slight increase in the parts sales on the Model 2012, but the total part replacement only equates to 5% of the California's that are on the United Kingdom roads to date."

So they are saying they have noticed a slight increase in this part failing on the 2012 model (which I have! eek!") but in total they have only replaced control panel on 5% of all UK Californias. Now that is a classic way of hiding an issue with numbers. They could have 25% replacement rate on the 2012 model and lower on the other years which could average to 5% overall. That said they say a slight increase in with the 2012 so that could mean a 1% per year.

Anywhoo... This does make me wonder if we should started collecting our own data within the club site somewhere it would give us extra bargining power. I for one would love to know the number of uk Cali's with paint issues.

How about we start a new section on the forum for 'known faults' or 'common faults' this way we can build up a database of the control panel fault , paint bubbling issues etc ... ( are there any others currently? )

Micheal,

We are gaining an increasingly stronger relationship with VW CV CS and so these type of questions can be asked if you wish. It's certainly a good point and worthy of some further discussion.

As a general note it's worth pointing out that this relationship is valuable to both the club and VW CS so we must be clear and without clouded judgement when raising points and discussing subjects as VW CS will be reading this. I think we are in a good position to work with them in order to resolve quality issues and known 'features' of our vans and equally in return I'm confident that VW CS will afford us the level of support and attention that this commands. This is of course all coupled with the excellent service Alex and the SMG team at Cowfold are providing us, which is also widely recognised with VW CS.

Martin said:
How about we start a new section on the forum for 'known faults' or 'common faults' this way we can build up a database of the control panel fault , paint bubbling issues etc ... ( are there any others currently? )

Not sure if it's a common fault, but my '12 plate Cali stopped charging leisure batteries on hook up 4 months into my ownership. Battery charger has just been replaced under warranty today.

From memory, only two control panels have been replaced here. both pre-facelift vehicles as well.

cheers

Stu said:
Micheal,

We are gaining an increasingly stronger relationship with VW CV CS and so these type of questions can be asked if you wish. It's certainly a good point and worthy of some further discussion.

As a general note it's worth pointing out that this relationship is valuable to both the club and VW CS so we must be clear and without clouded judgement when raising points and discussing subjects as VW CS will be reading this. I think we are in a good position to work with them in order to resolve quality issues and known 'features' of our vans and equally in return I'm confident that VW CS will afford us the level of support and attention that this commands. This is of course all coupled with the excellent service Alex and the SMG team at Cowfold are providing us, which is also widely recognised with VW CS.

Stu

Good points well made.

I thought my post was even handed so appologies if it seemed confrontational. That was not my intent.

As you say a good relationship with VW is in everyones benifit. My point I think is more around owner being aware of the action that should be taken when they discover common issues and early warning for the rest of that we are not imagining issues (it was a few weeks before I decided to raise my stearing issue). Not all dealers care as much as Alex and his team do and this is clear from some of the threads. That said my local van centre is also is excellent.

p.s Do you now have a red phone under a perspex lid that is a direct line to VW?

MichaelB said:
Stu

Good points well made.

I thought my post was even handed so appologies if it seemed confrontational. That was not my intent.

Not at all Michael, my comments were a generalisation aimed at keeping the discussion on topic, factual and beneficial to all. In fact I think we will try to find a way of taking your suggestion forward in a more formalised manner :thumb

MichaelB said:
As you say a good relationship with VW is in everyones benifit. My point I think is more around owner being aware of the action that should be taken when they discover common issues and early warning for the rest of that we are not imagining issues (it was a few weeks before I decided to raise my stearing issue). Not all dealers care as much as Alex and his team do and this is clear from some of the threads. That said my local van centre is also is excellent.

I couldn't agree more Michael, it's always good to be armed with real ownership intelligence and what better springboard than a place such as this where a group of level headed owners pool their ideas and suggestions.

MichaelB said:
p.s Do you now have a red phone under a perspex lid that is a direct line to VW?

No not quite but I have the ear of a very genuine and helpful CS manager who is willing to listen and of course provide us with the VW angle on things. :laugh2

MichaelB said:
joeaguilar said:
Joe

Sorry to pick up on this Joe but you've not interpreted what VW had said correctly

"There has been a slight increase in the parts sales on the Model 2012, but the total part replacement only equates to 5% of the California's that are on the United Kingdom roads to date."

So they are saying they have noticed a slight increase in this part failing on the 2012 model (which I have! eek!") but in total they have only replaced control panel on 5% of all UK Californias. Now that is a classic way of hiding an issue with numbers. They could have 25% replacement rate on the 2012 model and lower on the other years which could average to 5% overall. That said they say a slight increase in with the 2012 so that could mean a 1% per year.

Anywhoo... This does make me wonder if we should started collecting our own data within the club site somewhere it would give us extra bargining power. I for one would love to know the number of uk Cali's with paint issues.

Hi Michael,
Yes, fair comment - truth is that I skimmed through the article and didn't pick on subtlety of the figures. It would be interesting to see if it is possible to 'chart' all faults for each and every year group of Cali's to see if any patterns emerge. Don't quite know how you would do this. Sounds like a job for the geeks! WIll keep a keen eye on this thread. Good luck! Joe

Hi, new to the forum, having found it by browsing online. I have a 2008 LHD Cali T5 (ex-VW Demo) that I bought in Germany in late 2008. Having moved to Spain in early 2009 and clocked up just over 80k kilometres, my Control Panel display is virtually unreadable - so much so that having been down to Malaga for a long weekends camping, I struggled to select the correct function to be able to close the roof. (Opening the roof was ok, as the function selected was just legible, but for closing, it was hit and miss - I think I also inadvertently programmed the heater....)
All the functions appear to work (as far as I can tell) but the display is virtually unreadable - can anybody tell me if this is fixable or terminal? How much will a new unit cost?
Also, the symbol for the fridge button (top right button of 4) appears to be de-laminating, possibly due to heat stress?? The van currently resides in an underground (cool, no sunlight) car park, but until mid 2012 was parked out in the open (the van is white in colour, but clearly? it has still suffered the effects of thermal stress caused by direct sunlight)
Any advice welcome!

Thanks

Hi it sounds like it has had it. You could try the German eBay site :thumb

Van currently in for servicing at local dealership - new panel to be fitted, cost: Euro 615 incl. tax and fitting. :eek:
Thanks to Alex at SMG for costing the same unit in UK, but in this case, the local guys got the job as it was cheaper. BTW, 1st ever phone call to SMG, impressed with efficiency and politeness, sometimes a rarity in today's world!
Hopefully getting van back tomorrow, meanwhile I'm running round in a courtesy Caddy! :lol:

Glad it is all being done for you and quickly.

Thanks for the kind comments, and for also phoning back to let us know that the issue was being rectified for you as well.

cheers

Hi

The display on my control panel has recently become corrupted :cry: This is the second one that has done this.

The first was replaced under warranty about 2 years ago, but my Cali is now out of warranty. Has anybody in the group had any luck with a good will contribution on one of these units through VW.

Cheers

Mike

last weekend mine did this and was just displaying gobble de gook, i was unable to close the roof as I could not see the option. VW have quoted me over £1000 to have it replaced.

I am coming close to selling this thing come October :(