Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Control panel issues?

J

Jmooser

Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
Hi,

First time poster here... I’ve tried searching the forums and found some related topics but not sure it’s the exact issue.

I’m looking at buying a 2007 California 2.5 174 with 4motion. The van has gone 125000km, but it’s usage/maintenance record is a bit spotty after 2012. The guy who has owned it since 2016 (and is now selling it) has barely used it and doesn’t really know much of anything about it, either than he gave in some oil changes.

When I went to look at the van, the control panel worked while the ignition was on, but would not function when the ignition was off. I know for a fact that the starter battery had to be charged for him to start the car in the morning, so I assume the leisure batteries were also nearly dead. He hasn’t used the car in a year.

Would the control panel not start up if the leisure batteries were dead? Do they run off these batteries? Or could it be a larger problem like a relay or maybe something smaller like a fuse?

All the functions seem to work (roof, refrigerator turns on, heater) with the car running, just nothing functions when the ignition is off.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like dead leisure batteries. They need replacing and all charging tested including the hook up charger.

Hi. What mileage has it done between 2012-2016? The government MOT checker will give you the mileage each year, cross check this against mileage shown on any invoices.

Above will also show you reasons for any failures / advisories which will help give you idea of how the van has been looked after.

Not sure the exact set up for the batteries, but sounds like it needs a new battery. Our 2012 Beach (no control panel fitted) if the fridge drains the leisure battery, then the parking heater etc won’t work until you start the engine again, then the leisure battery comes back to life!

You can do a basic check on the leisure battery using a cheap voltage meter which plugs into any 12v socket running off the leisure battery.

Hi,

First time poster here... I’ve tried searching the forums and found some related topics but not sure it’s the exact issue.

I’m looking at buying a 2007 California 2.5 174 with 4motion. The van has gone 125000km, but it’s usage/maintenance record is a bit spotty after 2012. The guy who has owned it since 2016 (and is now selling it) has barely used it and doesn’t really know much of anything about it, either than he gave in some oil changes.

When I went to look at the van, the control panel worked while the ignition was on, but would not function when the ignition was off. I know for a fact that the starter battery had to be charged for him to start the car in the morning, so I assume the leisure batteries were also nearly dead. He hasn’t used the car in a year.

Would the control panel not start up if the leisure batteries were dead? Do they run off these batteries? Or could it be a larger problem like a relay or maybe something smaller like a fuse?

All the functions seem to work (roof, refrigerator turns on, heater) with the car running, just nothing functions when the ignition is off.

Anyone have any thoughts?

As @Loz has said regarding the Leisure Batteries. From your comments I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Leisure Batteries are not original and not having been looked after well over the past few years so are probably beyond saving and need replacing as does the Engine Battery. The Control Panel has inputs from both the Leisure and Vehicle electrical circuits and the fact that the Roof, fridge etc: work points to the Leisure Batteries.

Even if the Control Panel was faulty, it can be replaced if needed and this could be factored into your price negotiations as should replacement Batteries. Best of luck, oh, and Welcome to the Forum. :thumb

I’ve checked the history. Basically first owner from 2007-2012 took good care of it. Regular service up to 100k km.

Second owner from 2012-2016 has no service record, but it’s a period of 16k km.

Last owner from 2016-present drove about 8k km. So it now sits with about 125k km.

So if I understand, the control panel not turning on when ignition is off could just be the leisure batteries being dead. I guess hooking the van up to the power lead will charge these up? Will have to see what I can do about getting this tested.

Basically I’m at point where I take this one for about 40k GBP, or a 2005 (same engine + 4motion) with 230k km for 32k GBP with full service history (long life though - 30k km between oil changes every 1.5-2 years), and many worn out parts recently replaced.... prices are insane, but yea, welcome to Norway.

High mileage and service history, or low mileage but relatively unknown condition.

By the way, thanks for the help and quick responses!

"I guess hooking the van up to the power lead will charge these up?"

i don't think the leisure batteries take kindly to being left to run flat and then left for a while. i suspect they may be dead as a doorknob. You could see if the control panel works works with the van hooked up in any case.

By the way, thanks for the help and quick responses!

Personally, I would go for the 2005. It's been well looked after. Oil changes are spot-on for the Long Life Service regimen. These are commercial vehicles designed for high milage and definitely do not benefit from sitting around in the garage unloved and unused.

Yea I definitely like the 2005 in that it’s been well taken care of. No rust, almost like new interior... maintained. All the original interior parts still functioning. Owned by a German lady, obviously keeping it tip top!

The 2007 looks a bit worn and not really taken care of. Body is in good condition, but the slide to get to upstairs tent is jammed, the rear mattress is missing, original parcel shelf is missing and replaced with a homemade board that locks into place with some sliding bolt locks basically. But oh the allure of low mileage!

Anyways, I’ll see if this guy can test the batteries. Or maybe better yet, he’ll agree that I can take it to get looked over by VW dealer and see what needs fixing.

Sounds like perhaps a fuse has gone....
Probably true, but that is probably because the leisure batteries have been allowed to hit the floor and are now dead and should be replaced, I would also be wary of plugging in the hookup as that could also destroy the charger.

Back