Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Control panel knob not "clicking" properly

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
A strange one; the panel knob usually clicks when you turn it advancing the menu each time; ours keeps spinning freely unless I apply pressure to one side (not easy)!

Anyone else had this?
Also had our Euro adaptor plug nicked and my £300 Garmin GPS watch; both from the shower facilities. Dammit!

Everything else is fine...!

Sorry to here that I always use a water proof watch when showering on holiday and never take it off in the showers.

Re: Control panel knob not "clicking" properly

Can't help on the control panel but with the Garmin it might be worth seeing if Garmin can block or disable it the next time it's connected to a PC for updates or download. Won't help you but make it worthless to the thief.

Do I remember a post from you about your warranty running out soon?

If so get this fault checked out by a VW garage ASAP in whatever country you are in at the moment.

If this is the camper control unit, the thing that raises the roof, this is a very common fault.

Vw replaced my ccu under warranty, despite the fault simply being the splined knob splitting on the inside.

There are a few posts on the forum about this. And if out of warranty you can buy a replacement bit of plastic at modest cost.

We are on to our third control panel, last time it cost us over £600 to repair even though it is a common fault. Not impressed with VW.

Yes had mine replaced only 6 months from new. Stupid design having it do so many functions. Mine failed completely so couldn't operate roof, fridge etc.

Don't know if this is any help to anyone who has a problem with the turning knob( specialy if your warrenty has expired)

http://wimkoelman.files.wordpress.com/2 ... nopf_2.pdf

In German but maybe can be translated by Google?

They also sell a protective cover that covers half the knob ,
If you bang against the knob , for instance with your head or ellbow while climbing to the upstairs bed , you can damge the inside of it and resulting in to a " loose turning" knob

yes we had this…followed a thread on here on how to buy a new knob for 20 quid off ebay and then fit it yourself..sadly my dearest completely wrecked the motherboard when taking the control unit out of its housing in the process and then we had to have a complete new control unit £££££££££ :headbang
cannot understand why VW cannot just do a repair job for just a new knob :censor

kim

My knob failed after only 3 trips out and 1000 miles... Will be keeping an eye on this one...

Sorry forgot to mention that vw are changing without even first seeing the fault... They acknowledge that it's a common problem...

Nice little earner for VW and their garages ££££££££££££££

Sounds like the rotary knob has started to fail on the roof control unit

thanks

That and a snapped window handle (the one you squeeze) last night!

It works but it's tricky.

I will get the Garmin stopped; it's waterproof and I think I must have taken it off in the shower (I often do daft things like that). Oops!

The van is otherwise being brilliant!

by the way..if anyone needs a new knob and wants to try the fit-it-yourself option we have one spare hanging about which we disnt use in the end..message me..it was £20 off ebay..you can have it for £15 inc P&P :D
Kim

what it needs is someone to make a switch slightly smaller that you can just pop on without removing the whole control panel

But don't you still have to remove the old one?

Some posts in the past have detailed the old knob falling apart breaking off from the metal cog behind - a smaller knob would work for that type of failure (outside the vw cover)

I didn't realise they could do that as well. :goodone

Uh oh, the button isn't working too well now.
Just five days of working please before we get home...

Warranty expires on the 15th September so there's time to get it sorted.

All sorted now.

Just back in for the EGR valve; again. Seven hours labour!!

KernowLad said:
All sorted now.

Just back in for the EGR valve; again. Seven hours labour!!

Did they do it twice?

In all seriousness, glad it is sorted out for you and in warranty too!

cheers

Looks like it; being done at the moment and should be ready tomorrow.

7 days of warranty left... :eek:

Recently had ours replaced too, at only 7m old. Seems silly to have to replace the whole unit for a faulty knob, but that's what they did. To their credit West Yorkshire VW Van Centre did the job while I waited, on warranty, after I mailed to describe the problem. It was helpful to be able to say that I knew it was a recognised problem as a result of reading earlier postings here.

Re: Control panel knob not "clicking" properly

We had our ccu replaced shortly before we came away and I have to say the button in the middle of the knob doesn't seem quite right to me, in that it seems a bit stiff and sticks on occasion. I'm putting it down to newness at the moment and hope it doesn't become a problem.
At least I've got 2 years warranty with it.

Back