Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Control Panel Light

John

John

VIP Member
Original Post alexsmith37

If we leave the fridge on overnight the control panel light stays on, is there anyway of turning it off?

I have the same problem. I have always camped on hook up. It is not too great a problem at night as I sleep upstairs and fold a piece of card over the Control panel and tuck one side between the roof upholstery and the panel. The panel is very bright.
It would be a nuisance if I slept downstairs. There has got to be a better way :D

Yes I've wondered about this. Either hang something over it as drmw1335 says or switch it off, but then fridge & heater will not work.
There must be a better answer ?

I have a pre-facelift 174 Cali, the control panel display is only bright i.e. blue backlight when altering any settings or display info. It reverts to the grey shades after a minute or so. Only the buttons for functions that are operating are lit. So no problems at night.
Is the display problem only on new facelifts ?

Hubert

Would you like me to ask VW if there is anything that can be done?

Yes, please!

On my facelift 180, I set the display to show the clock overnight and it is very bright. Which is both good and bad... it would be brilliant if it could be dimmed. I've often thought about putting something over the screen that darkens it a bit but never got around to it...

Hubert said:
I have a pre-facelift 174 Cali, the control panel display is only bright i.e. blue backlight when altering any settings or display info. It reverts to the grey shades after a minute or so. Only the buttons for functions that are operating are lit. So no problems at night.
Is the display problem only on new facelifts ?

Hubert
Hi Hubert....We have a 'facelift' Cali and our display reverts to the grey shade after a minute also :!:

Chris

Mine also reverts to the 'dimmed' grey shade a few minutes after use, but it is still annoyingly bright.

we have used sleeping bags tucked in the fabric to cover that pesky light. Also Gaffer tape!

Further to my previous post, still confused by claims of bright displays.
My control panel isn't or doesn't appear to be backlit unless using the controls.
I can't even read the clock once it becomes dusk and have to press one of the buttons to activate the blue backlighting.(just got some new glasses as well !)

Hubert

On our 2010 cali the display backlight would stay on all the time the unit was switched on.
The display was replaced in October with an updated unit (slightly different symbols on the buttons) and now the back light goes off after about 15 seconds of using it.

my old cali was a 08 and the back light went out after use, just the buttons stayed lit up,,,then i bought a demo 11plate which ended up going back [long story]
that stayed on all the time!!!!
i had to stick something over it, as it was so bright when all the lights were off,,
then when i got my new 61 plate to replace it and to my joy it doesnt stay lit up.....
the lights go out like my older 08 model,,. vw may have made some changes here n there but glad they changed it back to go out after use it goes completly black after use like its switched off..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Back