Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Control panel shows roof up when its closed.

N

nigelknight

We've had 2 occasions where the control panel displays that the roof is up when it is fully closed. This is accompanied by a ticking noise just to the left of the control panel (no motor noise) and the roof cannot be operated either up or down. If driven, the roof up audible warning sounds. Also the roof symbol on the control panel flashes, which according to the manual means the hydraulic fluid is too hot, even though the roof hasn't been used.

The problem first occurred when trying to put up the roof after arriving at a campsite. The roof didn't open at all. The second was when just turning the engine on for the daily commute.

On each occasion the fault was cleared by removing the fuse for the pop up roof from the fusebox and then putting it back, i.e cutting and then restoring power to the roof. The roof also then worked properly and no ticking noise.

The van is going into the VW Van dealer for it to be looked at, as the warranty expires in 2 months . I'm not altogether confident about this though as they didn't know where the fusebox for the relevant fuse was. I had to show them. So if anyone has experienced this fault and has any answers, I'd be grateful for a reply.

The problem was identified as an issue with the Central Control Panel, which was replaced under warrranty.

Hi Guys----anyone with similar problems with control panel showing open when the roof is closed ?
Any chance you could state the colour of your vehicle to see is having a dark coloured van has any bearing on hot temperatures affecting the roof sensors.
We have this issue currently in S. France and I'm pretty convinced its heat related and that the roof is closed but heat is affecting the sensors.
Just thought it worth asking if other people who have experienced the same problem have dark coloured vans or if the colour of the paintwork has no relevance.

I'll start it off-----Mine is dark grey.

Hi Guys----anyone with similar problems with control panel showing open when the roof is closed ?
Any chance you could state the colour of your vehicle to see is having a dark coloured van has any bearing on hot temperatures affecting the roof sensors.
We have this issue currently in S. France and I'm pretty convinced its heat related and that the roof is closed but heat is affecting the sensors.
Just thought it worth asking if other people who have experienced the same problem have dark coloured vans or if the colour of the paintwork has no relevance.

I'll start it off-----Mine is dark grey.

This happened to me tail end of June, during the hot spell here in U.K. (so nowhere like the temps being quoted from Southern Europe). My roof was up for 5 days. Sorted/cleared by a simple reboot (off; wait; on) of the control panel.

But I think I'm about to blow your colour theory out the window ... candy white

It is the heat causing the roof to lower and give faulty sensors, there is a smal thing you can do but does not solve it all.
Wrapping the plastic caps (both sides one) that covers the pressure pumps on the roof in reflective foil.
Think it has been done by some on the forum.
That way the heat from the sun will be reflected a bit .
I personal don't often stay in one place more then on night with the roof up . But when i do i can see less tention on the canvas after two days in the sun

This happened to me tail end of June, during the hot spell here in U.K. (so nowhere like the temps being quoted from Southern Europe). My roof was up for 5 days. Sorted/cleared by a simple reboot (off; wait; on) of the control panel.

But I think I'm about to blow your colour theory out the window ... candy white

Hi Swigle,
Thanks for that. Good to know your vehicle is candy white.It at least disproves that colour of the vehicle is a possible factor.

It is the heat causing the roof to lower and give faulty sensors, there is a smal thing you can do but does not solve it all.
Wrapping the plastic caps (both sides one) that covers the pressure pumps on the roof in reflective foil.
Think it has been done by some on the forum.
That way the heat from the sun will be reflected a bit .
I personal don't often stay in one place more then on night with the roof up . But when i do i can see less tention on the canvas after two days in the sun

Hi HC,

Thanks for the info.
Any chance you can elaborate the location of the plastic caps on the pressure pump please.
I suppose it would help if I knew also the location of the pressure pump : )
I was going to leave this till I got back to the UK but if such a basic temporary fix like wrapping some foil
around some parts helps .....I'm up for that.
Thanks

Thanks mccp,

Had never been into that section of the forum before. That's brilliant. Thank you.
That sort of answers my problem with the roof.
You would have thought that VW would have recalled pre 2008 affected vehicles for parts replacement on such a vital road safety item which potentially could cause catastrophic consequences should the roof locking fail on a busy motorway..... at speed ?
I am a huge VW guy. All my vehicles over the last 20 years have been VAG based as I always felt they were quality and reliable. Starting to lose faith in them as have had several instances recently of premature parts failures and vehicles that have been assembled and sent out with known issues.....not to mention dieselgate.

@dfps
The pressure pumps are located on each side hidden under a plastic cap , about in the midlle above the sliding door , stand in the sliding door with the roof up and see this
IMG_5927.JPG

You defanatly need to read every section on the forum!
:)