Convert Ocean / SE cooker to those £1 gas canisters

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
As per the title. I've wondered about this a few times, may even have asked, but never got a definitive answer if its possible or the exact parts to do it?
Why do it?
- easy availability of the canisters in every £1 shop
- cheaper gas (I've not done the calcs, but compared to having to pay top dollar to replace your 907 in remote area, it must be).. Edit, I did the maths... A 907 is equiv of 12.1 cannisters so the equivalent cost is £12.10....which beats every 907 price I've seen)
- you know where you are. You've got one attached, and X in the cupboard, rather than some sketchy idea of guessing the bottle weight
- if you did have a leak, the volume wouldn't be so great vs a bottle
- depending where you made the connection, disconnection (say under the sink) would be more convenient to the 907 procedure, and may be more rigorously applied.

Why not?
- environmental impact of many cannisters vs a reusable bottle (but they can be recycled?)
- more frequent change overs. (not a problem for me, as not a heavy user).
Many folk talk of a 907 lasting a year, so a cannister would last a month (ish).

This latest thinking about this was prompted by another thread where a member is struggling to find 907s in stock and has seen a price of £50+vat or EUR 15 in France.

I wouldn’t be happy with the way the disposable canisters are fitted to the pipe/appliance. In my experience the clamp and seal are prone to leak.

I carry one of these as a spare and you buy 56 x 227g gas canisters (aerosol type) off amazon for £51.50 (that’s over12kg of gas) and an EN417 regulator

0F1E7F3E-8D94-461D-982E-6BEFBACE749D.jpeg

Trouble with the small canisters is they cool down quickly then become much less efficient
Yeah but at ~£4.30/kg compared with ~£13/kg for a 907 in UK, you can afford to be a little less efficient. That said, I’m still on 907s, albeit diy refilled at ~£1.50/kg :oops:

Yeah but at ~£4.30/kg compared with ~£13/kg for a 907 in UK, you can afford to be a little less efficient. That said, I’m still on 907s, albeit diy refilled at ~£1.50/kg :oops:

How do you DIY refill pls? What adapter needed? Seems a better way to go

I carry one of these as a spare and you buy 56 x 227g gas canisters (aerosol type) off amazon for £51.50 (that’s over12kg of gas) and an EN417 regulator

View attachment 48002
That’s a great idea.
I’d like to get one of those, would you mind sharing where to get one please?

View attachment 48002
Where do you plug that in? At the 907 end?....straight onto the pipe?

That’s a great idea.
I’d like to get one of those, would you mind sharing where to get one please?

Just search EN417 regulator. I can’t remember whether I got mine from amazon or here:

Where do you plug that in? At the 907 end?....straight onto the pipe?

You do have cut your gas hose but I now use a campingaz regulator that fits in the same way and it’s just a question of undoing the hose clip.

How do you DIY refill pls? What adapter needed? Seems a better way to go

You directly connect a donor cylinder of Calor gas or whatever to the 907 with the donor cylinder upside down and elevated. Then you stand the 907 on scales and open the taps and fill to the tare weight stamped on the cylinder plus 2.7kg. I only do 2.5kg because my donor cylinder was refilled with lpg which is a propane butane mix. I got all the parts from BES. I’ll post the parts list later. It’s nice being able to top up and not worry, especially with the 907 for the cadac, which we use a lot for outside cooking.

I trust the Insurance company is happy that non-standard cylinders are used or are self filled without the standard cylinder safety checks carried out by the manufacturers when refilling their own cylinders.

I trust the Insurance company is happy that non-standard cylinders are used or are self filled without the standard cylinder safety checks carried out by the manufacturers when refilling their own cylinders.

I wonder why when I get replacement cylinders they’re generally scratched and rusty and not totally refurbished like in that video.

I wonder why when I get replacement cylinders they’re generally scratched and rusty and not totally refurbished like in that video.
Mine have always been " as new ".

The full bottles I have got have always been as new although on 1st exchange all my bottles have been rusty as car boot purchases.

Just picked up a 907 Exchange cylinder from my local Calor Gas Centre. £36, so about 70p/week as a 907 lasts about a year. A LOT Cheaper than a pint of Real Ale. The last one was exchanged on a campsite in France, admittedly cheaper but both safety checked.

Jesus Wept...
£60k+ California and someone is trying to save a couple of quid...???

Seriously, i don't think the smaller bottles work out any cheaper on real world use as they deplete so quickly. They're a devastating waste on the environment, plus how safe are they inside a hot van with the temperatures we are experiencing lately?
Ive seen some of the pictures last week of exploding aerosol cans and coke cans ripping a dash apart after being left in the van with extreme heat.

My bottle has lasted over a year.

This really is a stupid idea...!!!

Jesus Wept...
£60k+ California and someone is trying to save a couple of quid...???

Seriously, i don't think the smaller bottles work out any cheaper on real world use as they deplete so quickly. They're a devastating waste on the environment, plus how safe are they inside a hot van with the temperatures we are experiencing lately?
Ive seen some of the pictures last week of exploding aerosol cans and coke cans ripping a dash apart after being left in the van with extreme heat.

My bottle has lasted over a year.

This really is a stupid idea...!!!
I quoted 5 potential benefits as I raised it as an idea, but thanks for your hate. Any money I did save I may send to you towards your therapy.

I quoted 5 potential benefits as I raised it as an idea, but thanks for your hate. Any money I did save I may send to you towards your therapy.

Apologies 2into1.
You just want to hear the positives...?
Sorry I’m struggling to see the benefits.

Hi 2into1 your thread got diverted a little by self filing 907's but out of that a number of good points were made.

The whole of the gas system in our vans has been carefully designed following industry codes of practice and taking into account the unique circumstances of a mobile kitchen come bedroom. Some of this careful design includes fitting first off an isolation valve into the gas cylinder close coupled to the regulator with inbuilt safety relief valve then a short as possible flexible hose connection to link to the vans fixed metal pipework to the stove unit. The elements most prone to leakage are housed in a sealed and externally ventilated compartment.

The real question to ask is are you happy to change this design cut into pipe work, add additional fittings, invalidate any certificate of conformance that may apply to the vehicle and system and all with out telling you insurance company?

Some have modified the gas hose with a quick-release connector, so it would be possible to have an alternative quick release section of hose and regulator for the tins. That way you could swap over as required.

Some have modified the gas hose with a quick-release connector, so it would be possible to have an alternative quick release section of hose and regulator for the tins. That way you could swap over as required.
I’m wary of messing with anything that would give the insurer a cause to argue over a claim. So would declare the modification to them.
Digressing slightly .....
When I recently renewed my cover I asked the insurer exactly what they meant by modifications and extras that they should be notified. They want everything that is not included on the base model, so that’s all those paid for options like awning, leather seats etc.

We have used a quick release with a standard regulator for about ten years without any problems. IMO it is safer than scrabbling about in the gas cupboard screwing/unscrewing the huge VW type regulator and so much easier to change the bottle. Simply disconnect the quick release, lift the bottle out with the regulator attached and swap over. I use fuel type clips on the tube rather than ordinary hose clips which strip easily, Tube changed every couple of years. It also means that if necessary you can use an alternative supply easily.