Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cooker ignition

B

Brianandjoy

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
we have an 18 month old California Ocean recently bought from a vw dealer,it’s going in on Wednesday to have the flattening batteries sorted so I’m checking everything to make sure it’s working.The cooker won’t ignite,there is plenty of gas coming through but no sign of a spark,it looks as if the cooker has had little use so no way of knowing if it ever worked.Any ideas.Also should the regulator be tightened to the control knob on the gas bottle with pliers or is hand tight sufficient.Theres very little room to tighten it sufficiently with just your fingers

The piezo on my last van never worked. I just used a battery operated lighter.

It is very easy to spill water on the hob, especially pouring stuff down the sink or emptying the bowl, and that can interfere with the igniters until totally dried out.

we have an 18 month old California Ocean recently bought from a vw dealer,it’s going in on Wednesday to have the flattening batteries sorted so I’m checking everything to make sure it’s working.The cooker won’t ignite,there is plenty of gas coming through but no sign of a spark,it looks as if the cooker has had little use so no way of knowing if it ever worked.Any ideas.Also should the regulator be tightened to the control knob on the gas bottle with pliers or is hand tight sufficient.Theres very little room to tighten it sufficiently with just your fingers

Our cooker was the same .
There is a little white cable under the cooker in the cupboard that had come away from a tiny socket which I just plugged back in . Hopefully that should sort it out for you
Lesley

Brilliant yes it had come adrift,some advice on how tight to do the gas connections would be appreciated

Hand tight will do - the brass fitting that goes directly onto the gas bottle has a rubber washer to make the seal, ensure that this is clean and free of dust/debris. The regulator (silver coloured) is also a hand tight fitting - but it is a left hand thread - so tightens the opposite way normal. It also has a rubber washer inside to make the seal, check that this is clean too..

PS You can check safely that the igniter is sparking without turning on the gas - it is a bit easier to see the spark in the shade in a low light situation.

Thanks for the photo,it makes you go cross eyed trying to get the connector back on again,you are so close up you can’t focus and your fingers are in the way too but hopefully Ive got it on securely enough,there’s so much to learn when you are a first timer,we are so grateful to forum members

err Yup! I think I ended up laying on the van floor with my head in the cupboard, holding a torch in my mouth to help see what I was doing.....all part of the fun.

Take your time figuring everything out - there is heaps of information on here to be found by searching - or asking. Did the dealer pass on to you the manuals - and specifically the California supplement?

Or of course you could park up next to another California owner on your next camping trip and then download their knowledge! :cool:

err Yup! I think I ended up laying on the van floor with my head in the cupboard, holding a torch in my mouth to help see what I was doing.....all part of the fun.

If is anything like mine get used it as its forever falling off

Hmmm - maybe some tape or a cable zip-tie is required me thinks...