Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cooking assistance in Beach

Grey one

Grey one

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Fellow campers, assistance required for first time away in new Beach. I have resisted purchasing a cooker and kettle before the arrival of the vehicle but having now picked it up I am keen to try my first night in it. It's winter and want to cook inside. Going to New Forest in Hampshire, no hook up. I have seen references on the forum to gas, electric, microwaves etc and there are many options.

In short, what type of cooker would you use to boil water, cook rice or pasta and reheat pre cooked meals for two people inside the vehicle. Two burners or one? Does own boiled water naked good tea or is a kettle required. Where do you place a burning gas cooker, on the floor? Any models recommended?

By the summer I will have sorted the routine out but in the meantime, any winter advice?

Fellow campers, assistance required for first time away in new Beach. I have resisted purchasing a cooker and kettle before the arrival of the vehicle but having now picked it up I am keen to try my first night in it. It's winter and want to cook inside. Going to New Forest in Hampshire, no hook up. I have seen references on the forum to gas, electric, microwaves etc and there are many options.

In short, what type of cooker would you use to boil water, cook rice or pasta and reheat pre cooked meals for two people inside the vehicle. Two burners or one? Does own boiled water naked good tea or is a kettle required. Where do you place a burning gas cooker, on the floor? Any models recommended?

By the summer I will have sorted the routine out but in the meantime, any winter advice?
Own boiled = pan boiled.

Last edited:
I have two stoves for inside the van but to be honest I've only ever used one.

A camping gaz bistro which uses those aerosol style cans. Although I have to say amazon is a rip off right now, I paid £6.50 for mine in Tesco during a sale at the end of the season. This is the only stove I've ever used inside the van to boil the kettle its surprisingly good and fast to heat up so I've never tried anything else. I used it on the table but iwth the roof up (down I suspect it may be a bit close).

I also have a alcohol based dual burner similar to a Dometic Origo but far cheaper, that runs from alcohol gel. Its odorless and cheaper to put fuel in. Is it as hot? I've not used it in anger but I expect not. IN theory the alcohol is better too because if it leaks it will just evaporate over time. Again not had to find out.

I have two stoves for inside the van but to be honest I've only ever used one.

A camping gaz bistro which uses those aerosol style cans. Although I have to say amazon is a rip off right now, I paid £6.50 for mine in Tesco during a sale at the end of the season. This is the only stove I've ever used inside the van to boil the kettle its surprisingly good and fast to heat up so I've never tried anything else. I used it on the table but iwth the roof up (down I suspect it may be a bit close).

I also have a alcohol based dual burner similar to a Dometic Origo but far cheaper, that runs from alcohol gel. Its odorless and cheaper to put fuel in. Is it as hot? I've not used it in anger but I expect not. IN theory the alcohol is better too because if it leaks it will just evaporate over time. Again not had to find out.
Keeping it simple looks the way to go.

We have one of these in our Beach. It's a Campingaz Super Carena single gas burner. It is very well made, takes up very little space and knocks out alot of heat. We use ours with a Campingaz 906 cylinder or is it a 907? can't remember. Well it's like the one in the picture.
If we need any more than one burner, we go down the pub.

image.jpeg
Happy camping.

We have one of these in our Beach. It's a Campingaz Super Carena single gas burner. It is very well made, takes up very little space and knocks out alot of heat. We use ours with a Campingaz 906 cylinder or is it a 907? can't remember. Well it's like the one in the picture.
If we need any more than one burner, we go down the pub.

View attachment 18550
Happy camping.
There's a theme of keeping it simple coming through, thanks.

Another vote for the cartridge /aerosol units. Cheap, stable, cartridges available much more widely that the bottles and Fast! Gas in cartridges is fairly cheap if bought well. (£1 each). They do double burner versions, but they are a bonkers idea. Just buy two singles.

There's a theme of keeping it simple coming through, thanks.
We have one of these double burners and grill for tent camping:
bl_173483_a

We've attached a propane regulator and use 5 Kg patio gas cylinders:
cylinder_patio_5kg.jpg

We intend to try using this set up in our Beach once it arrives, but intend to cook outside or in the awning, not in the van.

A double burner extends cooking options. Pasta on one burner, sauce heating up on the other.

We have one of these double burners and grill for tent camping:
bl_173483_a

We've attached a propane regulator and use 5 Kg patio gas cylinders:
cylinder_patio_5kg.jpg

We intend to try using this set up in our Beach once it arrives, but intend to cook outside or in the awning, not in the van.

A double burner extends cooking options. Pasta on one burner, sauce heating up on the other.
Thanks. I can see the cooking outside/awning potential here. Looking at previous posts, without an externnal hook up, I can't see a better internal option than a single burner. Hope yours arrives soon.

Another vote for the cartridge /aerosol units. Cheap, stable, cartridges available much more widely that the bottles and Fast! Gas in cartridges is fairly cheap if bought well. (£1 each). They do double burner versions, but they are a bonkers idea. Just buy two singles.
Agreed. For Xmas I bought the Mrs 28 bottles of butane from Amazon for around £25. Should keep the old Bialetti going for a while.

Pan or kettle doesn't matter, but you must get a tea pot. You can't make a decent drink from a bag dipped in a cup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Absolutely right you have to put the cup and bag in the microwave for three minutes......Proper tea not mamby pamby warm the pot stuff.

Absolutely right you have to put the cup and bag in the microwave for three minutes......Proper tea not mamby pamby warm the pot stuff.

Aaaaaah, the horror, the horror!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My setup is:
  • JetBoil Sumo for making hot drinks
  • Cadac Safari HP for cooking (shares the same gas canisters as the JetBoil)
  • MSR Pocket Rocket stove as a backup (also uses the same gas canisters and is tiny)
The JetBoil and MSR are permanently in the van, while the Cadac just comes along for camping or BBQ days.

My setup is:
  • MSR Pocket Rocket stove as a backup (also uses the same gas canisters and is tiny)
The JetBoil and MSR are permanently in the van, while the Cadac just comes along for camping or BBQ days.

Jetboil is great kit.
We use one and a COBB for cooking dinners:thumb

My setup is:
Very helpful thank you.

I will definately consider the alpkit for shorter trips, I find it a small hassle to pack my small gas stove with all kit.

Alpkit Brewpot here too. Fraction of the price of the jetboil and just as good.

Alpkit brukit - best piece of kit in the van - quicker than the Kettle at home and being gas powered no electricity needed.

Back