Cooking for Christmas?

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
You lucky ducks who’ll be away over Christmas in your Calis:

Are you cooking in or at your van? Will you be going seasonal or not? Any hints & tips, recipes, techniques, etc?

@Auberg-ine , think you need to explain what a "Malines Cuckoo" is as our UK friends would not have a clue...:D
I know what it is but never had it on my plate , but guess any chicken will do;)

Will you be out&about at that time or coocking on your driveway ?

Oh , and what's in the Calicocktail ?

@Auberg-ine , think you need to explain what a "Malines Cuckoo" is as our UK friends would not have a clue...:D
I know what it is but never had it on my plate , but guess any chicken will do;)

Will you be out&about at that time or coocking on your driveway ?

Oh , and what's in the Calicocktail ?

... Just thought I would let them wonder a bit over there. :D Like I was translating a menu to @MattBW, as we were eating: "a cockscomb" or "the bread of squirls" (all kinds of mushrooms:Grin).
Ok to be clear,
This is a contemporary chicken:
4.jpg
This is a Malines Cuckoo:
Mechelse Koekoek.jpg
Oh, and the Sea Wolf is a fish from the Anarhichadidae family.... :talktothehand
The scene of the set will be this time not so improvised as last recordings :embarrased If I'm not getting stuck at a sandbank with my new toy tomorrow it will be straight from Ostend Harbour.
And the CaliCocktail is a Half&Half of Cava&Gueuze, so to feel triple home!

Last edited:
Sounds amazing! Yeah and I learned the word for samphire too but I can only say it not spell it. I discovered that many things in flemish don't read like they sound to english ears.

Last year (not in the Cali) we had pheasant and partridge for Christmas dinner, first time I had ever eaten it. There was enough left to make game pie too, very nice.

I know turkey is very popular in the UK but it's a bit big for a van and for two people however that chicken looks pretty big too ;) ;)

p.s. the first picture is a cat ;):D

Sounds amazing! Yeah and I learned the word for samphire too but I can only say it not spell it. I discovered that many things in flemish don't read like they sound to english ears.

Last year (not in the Cali) we had pheasant and partridge for Christmas dinner, first time I had ever eaten it. There was enough left to make game pie too, very nice.

I know turkey is very popular in the UK but it's a bit big for a van and for two people however that chicken looks pretty big too ;) ;)

p.s. the first picture is a cat ;):D

Cat, fish, catfish, chicken, in some years they'll all look the same. Especially since they all get to eat each other in their daily powder food.....
In fact every year for Xmas eve I make a family Turducken, you know, meatloaf and truffles eaten by a chicken, eaten by a duck, eaten by a turkey. So this time I take a small part of the Cuckoo to cook at the Cali on Xmas day. RidgeMonkey size.

We ate staying in for Christmas … but will be out for New Years Eve. Cocking and all. Still looking for at perfect spot and creating menu. But will document when we are ready ;-)

Wishing you all a 'Happy Ending' of this crazy year! ;-)
To me, it was a year in which the Cali got a fourth dimension as the best Corona Cabin possible.
Now since we're forced into small bubbles again for this holiday season, time to make a new Cali-menu:

Auberg-ine X-mas Menu 2020.jpg

(as usual, all RidgeMonkey pocket style).
Enjoy the smallest of bubbles, Cheers!

Ok, Auber-gine, after reading this thread I think it's time you use your Cali's full potential. Put the outside table inside the van, to make room for one or two extra people. Just let me know 2 hours before you serve the entrée and I'll be just in time. ;-)

Ok, Auber-gine, after reading this thread I think it's time you use your Cali's full potential. Put the outside table inside the van, to make room for one or two extra people. Just let me know 2 hours before you serve the entrée and I'll be just in time. ;-)
Sorry Thomas, you have too much Gin on your mind while it's all about Calvados at the Inn. ;-)
Also, no need to put the big table, I use my new sliding door table as bar counter these days. The only consequence is that we need to finish the drinks each time before going out for a p.

Wishing you all a 'Happy Ending' of this crazy year! ;-)
To me, it was a year in which the Cali got a fourth dimension as the best Corona Cabin possible.
Now since we're forced into small bubbles again for this holiday season, time to make a new Cali-menu:

View attachment 70546

(as usual, all RidgeMonkey pocket style).
Enjoy the smallest of bubbles, Cheers!
I love that xmas menu @Auberg-ine, this year, like no other
can be extra special

Won't be using our Cali on Christmas Eve or Christmas day. Full on Roast with all the trimmings on Christmas Eve. Probably be a one legged woolly turkey. Christmas day will feature a massive take away curry on paper plates, ordered the week before and picked up on Christmas Eve. The washing up will be done by the wood burner. Simples.

Boxing day is our daughter in law's birthday and we will be putting together a taster menu featuring many small courses washed down with an elegance of pop and other assorted coloured liquids. That should keep us busy all day.

Last edited:
You lucky ducks who’ll be away over Christmas in your Calis:

Are you cooking in or at your van? Will you be going seasonal or not? Any hints & tips, recipes, techniques, etc?
Yes Elly I am planning on making Christmas dinner in the van using the ridge monkey. Saw a great YouTube video from their channel where they do just that...