Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cooking Fumes

M

Matt Dower

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
We are currently using a gas stove to cook in our Cali (doesn't everyone !).

The stove has a label saying "should not be used in enclosed spaces". I know there is an issue with gas fridges - but stoves?!

Are some stoves better than others? Or Some gas makes?

Or do you open a window a bit for ventilation? Does that get rig of Carbon Monoxide?

The stove has a label saying "should not be used in enclosed spaces". I know there is an issue with gas fridges - but stoves?!
Ventilation. What do you do at home? Open a window?

Or do you open a window a bit for ventilation? Does that get rig of Carbon Monoxide?

Ventilation. What do you do at home when cooking, open a window?

Last edited:
Carbo

Carbon Monoxide is slightly less dense than air so if you have higher level ventilation it will be expelled from the van, if your roof is up you should be safe. When cooking with the roof down, it might be safer to crack a window on the leeward side of the van.

Even if you are not cooking you should always have ventilation while camping in any campervan....
Use common sense .

If cooking first get a CO alarm. They are cheap enough. A fire angel is around £21.

Roof up. If roof down you will end up with fumes everywhere and a good possibility of marks somewhere on the underside of the upstairs bed.

Roof up, window open.

Thanks for replies (and pointing me at the previous thread.

I think the CO monitor is a great idea.
It will be better to get real evidence than wishing the problem away.

Cheers