Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cooking in your Cali

Brilliant. Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Well, the first bit anyway.

Indeed!
So, Elly? Thought since you were so eager to see this forum part arising you would be ready to throw in some miraculous recipes? ;) Looking fwd!
(I could also warmly suggest the VIP membership. Great value for money. And if you shop a bit around here you quickly win it all back. And so we get to see all these great dishes in multicolor :happy)

Indeed!
So, Elly? Thought since you were so eager to see this forum part arising you would be ready to throw in some miraculous recipes? ;) Looking fwd!
(I could also warmly suggest the VIP membership. Great value for money. And if you shop a bit around here you quickly win it all back. And so we get to see all these great dishes in multicolor :happy)

Will be definitely be going VIP. My hubby and I went to the EMids shop meet a few weeks ago and were so impressed with how friendly and helpful everyone was: Calikev, Martin, Nick, all the guys connected to the shop and the other Cali owners too. Hoping that we’ll have our Ocean for February. We’re only 40 minutes away from the shop (lethal) so I think VIP will help the bank balance! I’m also really impressed with forums and generosity of spirit of the members. It’s very inclusive and supportive.

Also very much looking forward to discussions in here and adding photos will be great. I talk like I write, for England, so love a forum, having a “chat”, sharing ideas, asking questions, etc.

Will be definitely be going VIP. My hubby and I went to the EMids shop meet a few weeks ago and were so impressed with how friendly and helpful everyone was: Calikev, Martin, Nick, all the guys connected to the shop and the other Cali owners too. Hoping that we’ll have our Ocean for February. We’re only 40 minutes away from the shop (lethal) so I think VIP will help the bank balance! I’m also really impressed with forums and generosity of spirit of the members. It’s very inclusive and supportive.

Also very much looking forward to discussions in here and adding photos will be great. I talk like I write, for England, so love a forum, having a “chat”, sharing ideas, asking questions, etc.

To stay on topic Elly ;):
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...se-t6-ocean-interior.25087/page-2#post-287882

I buy my herbs in the supermarket, indeed in little pots of soil/compost. At the bottom of the colander I put these spongy towels to clean the kitchen. They absorb what's still leaking out a bit after watering the plants (which I do in the sink). If too much water it simply drains/drops into the dustbin underneath.
If I need the colander in the sink, it means I am cooking sth. Then I just temporary put the herbs in the containers at the roof rail, or simply outside. When driving I hang it again at the headrest. Quick job with these little bungee hooks.

View attachment 39758

Most herbs do quite well in the Cali (which stays mostly outside). Only the basil is a bit more fragile. But it always gives such a great fresh smell when entering, besides the homy feeling of having plants in the car.
The mint I usually put on the right side, where I can touch it the most. Nothing nicer to go through a bush of mint and smell your hands after leaving the van.
Since I have the plants in I don't use air-refreshers anymore. The only thing you should take care of is to replace the sponge towels from time to time. These tend to smell a bit after a while.

Most herbs do quite well in the Cali (which stays mostly outside). Only the basil is a bit more fragile. But it always gives such a great fresh smell when entering, besides the homy feeling of having plants in the car.
The mint I usually put on the right side, where I can touch it the most. Nothing nicer to go through a bush of mint and smell your hands after leaving the van.
Since I have the plants in I don't use air-refreshers anymore. The only thing you should take care of is to replace the sponge towels from time to time. These tend to smell a bit after a while.
Thanks so much for taking the time to explain so comprehensively. I can’t use anything like air fresheners (allergic to perfume/smelly things) but am okay with most herbs. Great idea to hang the herbs on the back headrest. I agree about the mint, it’s so refreshing. I like to rub mint on my hands before doing tai chi & qigong, as I move it wafts around as if it’s on the breeze. It’s great as a mental booster too.

Have been looking at cobb cooker . what do people think and is it best to buy the premium one rather than compact?

I get the feeling you might also love the Mr D's slow cooker, not got one myself but I know a few forum members use them on the move. :)

Have been looking at cobb cooker . what do people think and is it best to buy the premium one rather than compact?
Wait till the spring. They are bringing out a new improved Premierre Air. Will post more details later.

Been touring Portugal. Went to the local market and bought some Swordfish, Olives, Olive oil, Lemons, Grelo, local cheese, wine and cherry liqueur. All cooked in the van Loverly.

Glad to see someone using the SE/Ocean as it should be and NOT afraid of the smells or what effect using the cooker and actually cooking inside will have on " Resale " values. Well done :thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb :cheers

That would be great, Matt. It’s always good to have some starter points. I’m using his photos from another thread to work out measurements for other things I‘d like to do when I get my Cali. A video would be really useful and help me to put things into perspective.
Oh, but Matt would have to come back then. Last time he came I was only halfway through the 'drilling' process! :Grin
But this is the Cooking thread, ànd the night of Saint-Nicolas, and therefore happy to say the Auberg-ine just got treated with some simple but great goodies here that I will test in some two weeks: the Q-bag! (The superdeluxe prefabs of my steam 'papillotes').
IMG_3900.jpg
And yes, this is still the cooking inside your cali thread! :) Can't wait to heat up the RidgeMonkey ! :bananadance2

Last edited:
I try and be as eco-friendly as possible when camping and on first sight of the q-bag thought, “oh no, not for me.” But I then watched the video and saw that the little window can be peeled off so the packet can be used as a bowl. This would save on other resources (like fuel for heating water and the water itself, for washing the pots/dishes). The added bonus is if cooking in the van, the steam and smells are contained. So, some pros along with the cons.

They would be expensive for a family, but for one or two, they may be a good solution. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your new stuff, Aubergine.

Why have a camper and not cook in it?? Might just as well stay in hotels and save the cash.
My old Toyota Hiace didn’t have a hob, so for years I’ve cooked outdoors. I love it.

When I chose my Cali Ocean it wasn’t because it had a hob, or a sink with running water, or a waste tank. I chose it because it’s quality, because the Beach had less than I wanted and although the Ocean has more than I need, it suits me better. No doubt I will use all the facilities at times, but throughout at least half the year I probably won’t be cooking in it.

As far as I can see, there’s no “proper” way to use a Cali. Whether people do or don’t cook in their van is really irrelevant, as is the cost of a Cali in relation to what you use or don’t.

Whether it’s cooking in or out, for whatever reason, it really doesn’t matter. One of the things I like about campervanning is everyone has their own way of doing it. The thing I like about the Cali forums is that we can all share ideas, knowledge, hints and tips - and then take or leave them.

I had one for a while.
You can cook some great food in them, but they need cleaning after each use and do take a while to cook food.
Currently use a Weber go anywhere gas for outdoor cooking. However the safari thingy looks pretty good and packs away smaller.

ATTACH=full]40025[/ATTACH] View attachment 40026
I had one for a while.
You can cook some great food in them, but they need cleaning after each use and do take a while to cook food.
Currently use a Weber go anywhere gas for outdoor cooking. However the safari thingy looks pretty good and packs away smaller.
The new Cobb Premierre Air (charcoal) will have a removable bottom (similar to the SAfire) and will be much easier to clean.

I had one for a while.
For time saving I use my Kelly Kettle to accelerate the coals and wrap the Cobb in a folded towel, being careful to not block the airflow through the base. In windy weather and if it’s cold I put it in a trug/bucket as well. Since my old van conked out and I’m waiting for my Cali, i’m doing a lot of cooking in the garden.

I’ve started using cast iron pots a lot too. A potjie pot size 3 will fit in the Cobb with extension ring, as will a Dutch oven with diameter of under 28cm. The Crofton tagine is cast iron based and although I wouldn’t take the conical, ceramic top camping (too fragile and shape is awkward to pack) it makes for a great base pan for lots of things, used it for round loaves of bread. I also bought a Robens Modoc pan and realised that it fitted in the top of my dutch oven so will experiment with double pot cooking.

With cast iron lids you can put coals on the top too for baking/roasting. Cast iron heats up and stays really hot, shortening cooking time. You can also easily line with tin foil or baking parchment (depending on what you’re cooking) saving on washing up.

Heavier to carry though and not to everyone’s taste.

3FB21F37-3C81-40AE-8A6C-231D30A4CD1E.jpeg 6B4C1847-697E-408E-951C-5BF523BA3372.jpeg 3589E013-1DD4-4703-BF6C-701AEE824FDC.jpeg 3E055A2C-8184-4C1D-8523-37D9CCC604D9.jpeg

Last edited:
Clearly you need an episode filming Elly, you are constantly experimenting, looks lovely!

Clearly you need an episode filming Elly, you are constantly experimenting, looks lovely!
Don’t know about that, Matt. I just watched Patrick’s cookout on your blog. He’s so organised and tidy. I’m a really messy cook with stuff everywhere. I spread out all over the place, that’s probably why I like outdoor cooking so much. Luckily my hubby is tidy and doesn’t mind clearing up behind me (poor guy’s had over 40 years of it) so we make a good team.

The premium is more versatile - the grill plate is further away from the coals.

Does anyone else use a steamer? I use one that is a pan plus two steaming pans and lid. With just 2 hobs you get the equivalent of 4. Can cook many items simultaneously and knock up some pretty impressive feasts. Steamed salmon with a selection of veg topped with a dill and white wine sauce is a fave. Best part is near zero smell when cooking fish inside.

Back